NS.org update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS.org update

[March 16th, 2006 ] :: AUTH hiccup and site update (Flayra)

Hey everyone! Just a quick note to let everyone know that the authentication database was down for a few hours earlier today while we updated the server. This means that Constellation icons didn't show up for a bit. Sorry for the confusion, it was an unintended side effect.

During this site downtime, we were able to update the site with a variety of fixes and performance enhancements! This brings us one big step closer to opening up the forums and site again. One of the two big problems left has been performance, which we hope this update will fix. I think we are the biggest InvisionBoard community on the net (at over 1.5 million messages) and it's been chugging and grinding under the load, causing timeouts and other problems, especially when searching. The NS Playtesters are testing our changes now and we're hopeful it has gotten a lot better.

In other news, the NSPlayer.net League (NSPL) finals are now entering round two! This is an Australian/Singaporean league with a strong focus on helping new players get into the clan scene. All finals games will be viewable over HLTV and full details can be found at the link above. The NSPlayer team also has plans to start a new NS event after the NSPL, which will be tracked by the bet system where you can win a prize by betting with e-dollars on the outcome of matches. NSPBet is 100% free but you must be signed up before the next big event happens! Catch them on #NSPlayer on irc.GameSURGE.net for more information.
    Phew, only 4 more months and we're back in business :D
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Re: NS.org update

Originally posted by aeroripper
    Phew, only 4 more months and we're back in business :D
    And so the race is on.

What will happen first.

Unknown Worlds Enterament Releasing It own Fourms.
    Microsoft Releasing Windows Vista.
    Microsoft Releasing Window Xp SP3.
    Microsoft Sloving the Xbox 360 shortages.
    Sony releasing the PS3.
    Armageddon, and the rise of the antichrist.
    Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

lol lost

Thanks, aero.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Eternaly_Lost
        And so the race is on.

What will happen first.
        Let's just say the way things are going, The Nexus might be rolled out in Duke Nukem Forever before it hits NS.

Comment

I just wanted to point out that natural-selection.org is no longer a functional website. All it does is redirect to their new website, unknownworlds.com

Comment

The NS website situation is just ridiculous. I don't know how Flayra expects to get funding for any future Unknown Worlds games when the site hasn't been fully up for closing in on a year, now.

Comment

According to zunni's blog, "The Natural Selection Forums have been down for 7 months, and 10 days."

:(

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis
                I just wanted to point out that natural-selection.org is no longer a functional website. All it does is redirect to their new website, unknownworlds.com
                My bad

Comment

The bird flu will kill us all long before the site is fixed, 360 shortages are resolved, ps3 is released, and the release of vista and xp sp3, as well as before waldo will finally be found, and I get a date, but it is open to interpretation in regards to the armageddon.

Comment

I can't help but wonder how much it would suck for Flayra if he came along and read this stuff. I laughed at Lost's first post. And there is comedy.

I dunno. I've just... I've been the guy, before, who couldn't make everything happen all at once. I've been the guy who got really excited about something, put a lot of effort into it, and found myself having not pleased everyone I wanted to please.

Yes, I'm baffled trying to imagine what on earth causes a site to go offline for 8 months. Yes, I realize "8 months" is NOT "all at once."

But, unless I learn, first-hand, what that something is, I'm hesitant to judge the whole affair too genuinely.
                    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I haven't seen too much actuall judging of the affair so much as a few light rips on it, and bemoaning about how this will affect NS's public relations.

Comment

I think flayra (charlie) has a legitimate problem. Money

He is trying to found his UWE business using NS as a tool to show off to developers so they can invest in NS2. Since the site has been offline for so long, he lost the main source of income in the constellation donations (which I heard he much a lot of money off, $20,000+ IIRC). He's been using this money (along with occasional contract work) to work full time on UWE and to continue development of NS. Since that event everything has kind of spiraled downward and his main website guy XP-Cagey went work for another studio. As he has said before, even making a free mod isn't free. I believe they had to purchase voice talent for the radio comms and music (probably sound too), and I bet paid for other things as well like software. I can only imagine this same thing costing much more for NS:S alone.

So, here we are almost 8 months later and the site still isn't up. I can't say I don't blame him for wanting to start a company seeing as how he needs to eat like everyone else. I just don't see things looking too bright for him unless he can finally convince somebody to invest in his company, and with a 8mo website downtime, I honestly don't see this happening.

Comment

Yep. He is unfortunately caught in a vicious cycle. He needs money to put the site back up, and needs the site to generate money. But considering how important the website is to the continued success of NS1, I would think they would make it a little higher priority to get it back online, even if they just have to disable the search feature or something.

The other really large boards community I'm part of, wizards of the coast, disabled their search feature a long time ago when the boards got too big to process it properly. Boards software searches just aren't designed to handle forums that big.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis
                            The other really large boards community I'm part of, wizards of the coast, disabled their search feature a long time ago when the boards got too big to process it properly. Boards software searches just aren't designed to handle forums that big.
                            That site could EASILY pay for itself if it was up. Given the chance to control advertising and marketing for the NS.org site, I would host it for free. But I would change the forum software itself in order to manage the traffic that the site gets.

Most board software doesn't handle searches that well with that much volume, but there are ways to reduce load utilized by the searches yet still providing search functionality. One way is to embed Google into the site and use them for your local search facility.

In any case, there's no good reason for NS.org to be down for this long. Flayra might just not understand the methods in which he could make that site pay for itself AND provide the performance needed for the load.
                            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

It takes time and dedication for a business to begin. I believe that is what Flayra is giving it.

When your working on a project like this, the only employee you can have working without pay is yourself. If you don't know how to code websites you don't have anyone to code your website when you run out of money.

The bird flu will get you, be afraid.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X