Hopped in TGNS today 1st time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopped in TGNS today 1st time

I've had NS on my PC for about a year, tried it once in a public server before I found the TG community many moons ago and was lost and confused.

Today, after some vigorous forum browsing I decided to try out TG's NS server. I was lost and confused... but this time it appeared people were working together and not swearing like pirates over VOIP :D

I found this player guide:http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/comm...asic/index.htm
    and plan on going over it over the next few days so I have some clue as to what I need to be doing before the next time I join.

I'm guess my actual question here is: Is this something I can play casually (1-3 hours a week) and not get in everyone's way with my newbitis? I'm sure TG is friendly to all new players but I still would like to actually contribute to rounds without climbing a 20 hour learning curve and dying 20 times a round. Or perhaps am I overestimating the learning curve here?

Re: Hopped in TGNS today 1st time

Originally posted by Faultline
    Is this something I can play casually (1-3 hours a week) and not get in everyone's way with my newbitis?
    One of the reasons for Natural Selection's success, as a title, is that it gives SOOOO many opportunities for a player to offer very real value to his team.

First, let everyone on the server know you're new. I recommend, literally, adding "(new)" to the end of your player name. That tells people, right away, what they should and should not expect from you. It also tells the brightest and best regulars that they should go out of their way to help you out.

Yes, you can help your team without a crazy-rich understanding of the game's finer points. One of the game's "weapons," the welder, allows a player to assume a support role, repairing the armor of structures and teammates nearby. There's almost always something that needs to be built (point at a structure and hold down one key on your keyboard), somewhere, and someone has to do it.

I recommend that you play marines as often as possible, while you're new, as the alien game is more likely to be different than anything you've experienced before.

If you've got a microphone, work with the others to make sure it's working well. Regardless, ask lots of questions and let everyone know you require patience.

NS is a great title, and it's unlike anything else Tactical Gamer hosts. You're in for quite a treat.

I've been playing this title daily for over three years, and I usually die 20 times per round. :)
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak

First, let everyone on the server know you're new. I recommend, literally, adding "(new)" to the end of your player name. That tells people, right away, what they should and should not expect from you. It also tells the brightest and best regulars that they should go out of their way to help you out.
      Great tip. I'll do just that.

The game does appear to be very versatile with a loyal following, so something must be right here. Thanks for the pointers, I'll be hopping in here and there over the next few weeks, mostly between 5:30-7:00 EST, so hope to see you in there :)

Comment

When you do play aliens, your team will rarely complain as long as you build a resource tower or 2 at some point. You've already found the official manual, which explains how. There's lots of things you can do with your money as an alien, many of them quite complex and some very skill intensive, but you cant go wrong just by building a resource tower.

Comment

Here's the gotchya.

Natural Selection is Tactical Gamer's fastest-moving title, hands down. It also happens to be one of the title's best-known servers (anywhere) for average player competency and overall team cooperation. As a new player, you'll be limited in your ability to meet either expectation, and, if they don't know you're new, you might be the guy your team is looking to for action at any given moment.

In NS, lots of team effort can be made useless in a heartbeat if one team member doesn't play his part when he's expected to. So, if players don't know you're new, they ("others" moreso than TG folks, but the latter, too, sometimes) might get irritated (and maybe even hostile) before everybody can figure out it was "the new guy" that screwed up. No, I don't endorse that response, and I'm working to prevent it from ever happening (to the rest of you: I want to hear about this kind of thing happening).

But it sometimes happens when new players "sneak in," and it's easily avoided if people will simply communicate. That communication starts with you putting "(new)" in your name.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

What he said ^

Hope to see you in play and look forward to you playin on the server bro.

Comment

I'm sorry Faultline, what was it you said about pirates? Ahem, anyway, the more you see of the game the more it will make sense. You probably can't go wrong with some combination of following people and doing what they do, and doing what people ask you to (build things, move to a new area, ect).

I take it you are familiar with first person shooters. Being a marine will resemble this more, but if you an alien imagine your very short and you ran out of ammo so you have to knife all your enemies to death (but you have knife damage and wall climbing hacks) Your best bet is dropping RTs, second best would be upgrade chambers (make sure yo udouble check with your team as to which chamber you should drop), and as for gameplay try to follow other aliens around.

Welcome to NS.

Comment

Marines are in line with regular FPS games, sans commander. I wouldn't touch aliens until you get the game more, otherwise you're much more of a hinderance than a compliment to the team. The main objective you should have is to learn the nuances of marine gameplay by watching and listening to other experienced players, and trying to do what the commander/experienced players ask and not get in their way.

Comment

Don't worry about dying 20 times a round. the individual K/D ratio means very little in the NS world. The most important thing is working with your team. like everyone else has said, play marines untill you have a good feel for it. then try aliens.(this assumes that you get the choice). make sure you let the other players know you are new. I remember a few servers that would kick new players just because they are new. those guys are jerks and we are not like them. We will help.
                  "The electric Yellow's got me by the brain banana!"

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am studying the manual periodically and will test the waters again soon enough :)

Originally posted by ----paranoid----

NS has two versions, CO(Combat) and NS(rts/fps game mode)

I probably shouldn't have to ask but to be sure, TG's server is the rts/fps game mode, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Faultline
                      Thanks everyone for your replies. I am studying the manual periodically and will test the waters again soon enough :)

I probably shouldn't have to ask but to be sure, TG's server is the rts/fps game mode, correct?
                      We have both, actually. The maps switch based on playercount.

Small games of NS are frequently painful, so CO is a good way to pass time practicing until the playercount hits a reasonable number (which is 8, if memory serves).

You're correct in thinking that the core of the TGNS experience are the NS_ maps as opposed to the CO_ ones, though. CO is how we pass time until NS starts.
                      [volun2]
                      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Yes. I want to reiterate what Poker said.

Yes, CO maps are on the server. No, it's not what we prefer. Yes, you'll see them in play as the server populates. Once enough players are on the server, you'll never see another CO map until the numbers again thin out (usually 1 or 2 AM eastern).

Comment

Welcome, everybody here has pretty much covered alot of the basics but I'll give you my tip. It's what I do when I first start playing the game after a break (the longest ever was six months, I'm a junkie).

As marines you can be a really useful player by being the commander's hands, He needs lots done. You can offer to build base, grab nodes (always opposite from their hive :), Weld vents/people/buildings, Practice with your weapons on alien nodes, and the most important thing build during sieges. Commanders always love it when there's one person throwing himself at unbuilt buildings, even when there are aliens in the room. This is because it's fairly easy to defend you because alot of aliens see you as an easy kill so your allies can shoot them as they beeline toward you. And if the aliens don't go after you first then the commander gets his siege up. Win/Win but it doesn't go on the scoreboard :)

As aliens you can build vital support structures, RT's of course and chambers. aliens typically go MC first because it offers some great upgrade choices and it allows you to "movement" over to other hives (another thing you can save your res for when you're learning). This only allows you to movement to hives that are fully built unless the unbuilt hive is under attack. It's a little confusing but good to know for marines and aliens. Aliens may ask you to attack a hive to allow them to warp there, and marines may tell you not to shoot the hive (or anything else for that matter) until a signal is given.

Longer than I expected :P
                          Hope to see you in game :D

Comment

I have about 2 years exerpience under my belt in the NS scene, and many many more years with other games (although, there really is nothing that even compairs to ns.) Here's a few things I'll point out that might help you out a little with the learning curve.

TG has an HLTV server that allows you to watch our games. Take a look tomorrow night during a captain's game. Listen to what has to be said, figure out what we do, how we do it. Watching a few games, and seeing how people do different things is great (for the first bit, stay off aliens).

The map - Knowing the maps in NS is almost vital. Not so much that you have to know every nook and cranny, but that you have a fair idea where the 3 hives are, where marine start is, and usually the one or two major choke points. (you'll learn the choke points by asking, and watching)

the map 2 - download transparent mini-maps. I can't stress how usefull it is when you can run down a hallway, with your map up over your screen, and understand how the flow of the map is turning out. ***there's a really handy set of alien crosshairs you'll eventually pick up too, but ask me about thoes, and i'll help you out later)***

Thoes are my helpful points. (the major ones)

*Kills to deaths means nothing. The winners are the one's who play as a team
                            *In CS you can run out on your own and showboat. In NS you can run out on your own and die.
                            *Think of your commander as god. Know his voice. You do not have time to figure out who's speaking. if the voice chat get's busy, ignore everything but the sound of your comm's voice.. (On a side note, I wish orcish grunt comm'ed more...)
                            *ASK QUESTIONS. The TG server has got to be one of the friendliest servers I've ever come across, if you need help understanding something, ASK. The knowledge on that server is surpassed by none during a captains night. You have tactical help, game help, map help, stratagy help, everything. even code/programming help sometimes.

lastly. Make sure to say hi. I would not mind at all spending an hour or 2 with you straight answering questions.

Best of luck, i hope you LOVE this game. Cuz I sure do.
                            Ambriento for comm! Vote today!

Comment

If you join HLTV to watch (I recommend you do -- especially on Sat night), be sure to find the required reading about HLTV, as you'll not be able to hear players' voicecomms if you don't.

You know what, Fault (and anyone else considering TGNS)... consider joining us for the HLTV Session on Saturday night. We all get on TeamSpeak and watch a demo together, discusing the game and learning from it (ask any veteran NS player -- here or elsewhere: you never stop learning, ever).

See the sticky thread in this forum for details. Ask any questions you have here.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X