the 'gb' command

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the 'gb' command

I received a PM this morning asking for more information about the 'gb' command.
    Originally posted by TGNS Regular
    I have noticed the gb command on the server for a bit now, and I'm wondering exactly what it does, and its purpose. I did a quick check in the forums, and I havn't been able to find a post about it. I don't know if I'm the only one wondering about it.
    I decided to respond in a public thread, just in case there are others who don't know exactly what this command is, of if there's any confusion about how it should be used. It should be used.

The "gb" is short for "goodbye", and the purpose of the command is to keep OFF of the server players who don't belong on it.

The 'gb' console command is described on the TGNS Commands wiki page:
    gb <player> "<reason>" (requires 10,000 points): remove from the server an unregistered player proven to be in violation of server rules
    -- <reason> is required and must correspond with a Tactical Gamer Natural Selection server rule
    This command is available to any player without a question mark on the scoreboard having 10,000 points. It costs no points to use, and using it HELPS THE SERVER.

A scenario: a question mark player, "HALupINjoo," joins the server. Being the helpful regular you are, you immediately (you don't have to sound like a drill sergeant) work to determine if the player can and will communicate (ask if he can hear the team, etc). If the player doesn't respond, it's your responsibility as a regular to do whatever you can to get him removed, as it is with any player who doesn't meet our player standards.

You can notify an admin that's there, or, if you feel up to it (please feel up to it), you can do the job yourself. Having given up in your efforts to retain the stranger, you open your console and use the gb command:

gb halu "Communication is required."

The player is kicked, shown the reason you stated. The reason should be in quotes, and it must reference a documented server rule you're PLENTY confident applying to the situation, even if it's something as situational as "respect other players." The example scenario I outlined is not the only time to use this command. Its purpose is to keep OFF of the server players who don't belong on it.

Please use this. Use it responsibly, and as an ambassador of what you know makes the server great, but use it.

If anyone has any questions, you may share them here or send a forum PM to any admin.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: the 'gb' command

Thank you very much for clarifying.

Gonna post up the TG rules right on the wall behind my comp. i know them, but not the specific wording...

anyway, this command should definatly come in usefull.
    thanks
    Ambriento for comm! Vote today!

Comment

I have noticed a *lot* of questions about this command by people on the server since you added the "Please do use gb" notice on question mark players coming in. Would it be possible to add a short addendum to the line to better describe it? Something like:

"Be respectful. DO USE the 'gb' (kick) command responsibly, regulars with 10,000 points"

Or to make them come to the forums to read this:

"Be respectful. DO USE the 'gb' command responsibly. Visit the www.tacticalgamer.com NS forum for instructions"

That last one may be a little to long, but just a thought.
      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

I'd prefer people telling those asking about 'gb' to come to the forums. Help people, but if you can avoid spoon-feeding them what's already available to them without failing some urgent need they have, invite them to educate themselves by joining us in the forums.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
          I'd prefer people telling those asking about 'gb' to come to the forums. Help people, but if you can avoid spoon-feeding them what's already available to them without failing some urgent need they have, invite them to educate themselves by joining us in the forums.
          This is the better approach, as it gets annoying to constantly explain it over voicechat, and then they still don't understand what it does.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
            If the player doesn't respond, it's your responsibility as a regular to do whatever you can to get him removed, as it is with any player who doesn't meet our player standards.

You can notify an admin that's there, or, if you feel up to it (please feel up to it), you can do the job yourself. Having given up in your efforts to retain the stranger, you open your console and use the gb command
            How many times should you ask a ? player to respond? In particular, when using text chat, it is very possible that the player was in the middle of combat and just didn't see your text.

Secondly, what should happen if a player rejoins? I'd assume at this point asking once and then gb-ing again is appropriate, but I'm not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshi MCF
              How many times should you ask a ? player to respond? In particular, when using text chat, it is very possible that the player was in the middle of combat and just didn't see your text.

Secondly, what should happen if a player rejoins? I'd assume at this point asking once and then gb-ing again is appropriate, but I'm not sure.
              "However many times seems appropriate" would be the answer to your first question. Trust your gut; if you've got enough points to use the command (or are an SM) you should have a decent feel of whether someone isn't answering, or is just slow on the draw.

Second question: if they persist in the behavior that got them gb'ed (or any other behavior against our rules), they're ripe for leaving again. Of course, if they correct their issues, they stay. Wyz can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe repeated gb's will eventually end up taking an enforced break.
              [volun2]
              NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
              Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
              <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
              <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
                repeated gb's will eventually end up taking an enforced break.
                I.... don't.... think that's accurate. Part of me thinks it is, but I'm almost sure I'm thinking of the PCS servers, which automatically temp ban someone who's kicked X times within Y minutes (or did at one time). I think the temp ban command (temp admins have it) is the solution you need here.

Three thoughts about "how many times":

1) don't move too quickly. Poker's right.. go with your gut, and we likely do trust you if you have that many points, but I'm running this boat, and I've found MYSELF to be too fast on the draw, especially if I'm dealing with goon after goon after goon. Just keep yourself in check and you'll be fine.

2) Don't concern yourself with the risk that they might respond while you're busy typing the command into the console. If that happens, and they return upset, explain you were just trying to get them to respond, you're sorry you didn't see them finally respond before you kicked them, and that you're glad they're back. If they're not a problem again, game on.

3) If someone returns once, let 'im repeat his previous removal-worthy mistake before he's removed again. If he returns immediately a second time, feel free to evaluate him much more quickly. Yeah, feel free to judge each case individually, but, in my experience, folks who come back after that either get it or are looking to cause grief. Don't feel that you have to tolerate that for one second.

Comment

The reason I brought this up is, the only time I felt compelled to gb someone, I feel like I asked him to communicate too many times and ended up wasting more of my own time than was necessary.
                  My gut tells me to ask:
                  1. Hey <name>, can you see my text?
                  2. <name>, communication is required on this server. Please respond.
                  3. <name>, respond or be kicked.
                  Is this cool with the admins? When I gb'ed someone before, I probably asked 5 or 6 times, and then I asked my teammates. In retrospect, I'd not like to waste that much of my own time again.

Also, I have a request to the other regulars on TGNS. When you see me (or others) going through this process, could you back me up on it and make me seem like I'm not the only one who knows that someone needs to be kicked? Please, speak up, agree (or disagree) with me, so that I/we can have some sense of confidence that what I'm doing is right.

Comment

Yoshi, what you outlined is fine.
                    Also, I have a request to the other regulars on TGNS. When you see me (or others) going through this process, could you back me up on it and make me seem like I'm not the only one who knows that someone needs to be kicked? Please, speak up, agree (or disagree) with me, so that I/we can have some sense of confidence that what I'm doing is right.
                    This is critical for regulars to do for one another if you're going to see the high-satisfaction experience that has become associated with TGNS. Either the regulars take ownership of the server as much as they're able to, or it's just not what it could be.

It's all about communication. It's also why admins want to know about stuff in private messages. Without feedback, folks enforcing the ideals of the server can't do as well as they otherwise could.

Comment

With admin experience in other venues, and an opposition to the use of banning (at least permanent banning) I can say that even the most persistantly annoying rules offender eventually gives in to the old "bind x 'kick <player>'", or gb in this case. I'm not going to be caught wasting more time then them and letting them keep me from enjoying the game. Comminication being required isn't the best example, but here is one that applies to all games, and in this situation particularly. Intentional Friendly Fire. What isn't an uncommon sight after kicking someone for intentional friendly fire once, is they come back and try to hunt you down specifically. This doesn't have to happen too many times before you loose all faith that they will join and be civilized. Spending the extra second to bind it to a key allows you to play fairly uninterrupted, and they often stop after 2-3 instant kicks. If they change thier name to try and fool you either they behave and don't get kicked, or they try it again and you have to type it out.

As an alternative to binding, pressing arrow up while in the console text box will bring back your last entered line.

Really determined offenders are hard to come by, and in almost two years as an admin I probably didn't encounter more than 10-15.

For those with admin, I know many people who have had good success with the 5 second ban.

I can't shake the feeling I have said this before, forgive me if you have already heard me say this before.

Oh also, I was wondering what message do they get from being kicked by gb? Something that mentions the site or links to rules would be nifty.

Comment

Oh also, I was wondering what message do they get from being kicked by gb? Something that mentions the site or links to rules would be nifty.
                        I also have a few questions on this:

1) Does it say who kicks you, when, etc? Or just shows a little box with the reason you presented?

2) How long is a tempban for? Are these justified after multiple gb\kicks and they just dont' seem to get it and to give them some time off the server. Are they for months or just a day or so?

3) Can we use the userid or steamid when typing "status" in console to gb people as well, for the guys that have names that are hard to spell or have weird letters (or the infamous ` in them)?

Another thing that drives me crazy is when I casually ask a ? if they can hear the voicecomms okay and they say they don't have sound because of x reason (their headphones batteries are dead, roomates sleeping etc..). Sure they could communicate by keyboard but that is absolutely pointless if they can't hear what we're talking about as 90% of the communication is over the mic, especially frustrating if your the comm. So really why can't they play on any other server while they can't use sound, and come back to this one when they do? I had to gb somebody for this out of frustration once (I was comm) and he just didn't seem to get it and kept retorting angrily about it which helps nothing.

Annnnyways just a side rant, move along nothing to see here :D

At least when I've done it I usually give them around maybe 30s to respond (nicely over voice\text or both, enough of a chance to notice) then give them a kick for "communication is required", then when he comes back ask them if they can hear us okay (voicecomms). If no response after that attempt is another gb, they usually get it by that point, or leave.

If they come back mad as hell after the first kick and start the "WHO KICKED ME!?" drama, and after you explain why they begin mocking you and the server, do another kick for respect. If they come back yet again and keep on doing it and just won't listen, I'll probably temp ban them. If their acting like that towards the players and people who just wanted to know if they could hear the voicecomms okay, they arn't the kind of players we need here and are disrupting the game for everyone else IMO.

What I always thought would help me when I'm temp admin is for people to use the [email protected] function (admins only)... people RARELY use this. I don't know if just because nobody remembers it, but if you are unsure of using gb, use that function to ask all the temp\full admins for input.
                        Last edited by aeroripper; 03-25-2006, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Unless things are different with this banning plugin, to my knowledge temps bans are as long as you set them to be, it's not a fixed length. It should follow this format "ban <player> <time>" However I could see it being different if someone was only supposed to have temp ban ability, and not perm ban, you wouldn't want them to be able to set a ban for the next two years. If I had to guess a number it would be locked in at, I would say 30 min ban. Since this is NS and games can take a bit longer, I wouldn't be surprised if it was 45 min or even one hour. My money is still on 30 min though.

I remember reading about that @chat thing. Using it never seems to cross my mind. I'll try to remember that it's there.

On a side note, I do feel a little bad for the people who don't have sound for one reason or another, because it is often out of thier control, and they are not trying to do anything malicious.

Comment

It does not show who/when on the kick.

The temp ban is a separate command entirely, and it's a very short number of minutes. Do use it for players who prove themselves kick-worthy repeatedly. That very problem is why it's there for you.

To my knowledge, any server command which takes a playername as a parameter will actually take a playername or #userid. I don't know if they'll take SteamID. Be careful with userids (I love using them) -- if you have the wrong number, you might kick someone else... including yourself. :)

Lots of folks have lots of reasons for not being able to hear voice. If they're genuinely hearing-impaired, they must follow the precedent of contacting a TGNS admin (or Apophis) for support. Otherwise, let them know they'll be removed if they can't manage it, and make good on that stance if need be.

Yes, say_team @chat is UNDERUSED.

Comment

I gb'ed one guy. He was mouthing off, calling people a noob, and others, not me, asked him to pipe down. He responded to others' requests to pipe down with "shutup noob" types of comments, so I gb'ed him without saying anything. With the help text that you programmed into it, I was able to fuss around on the command line and get it to work, good job on that. I never read this forum, just heard about the 'gb' command on voice and with the tagline messages, and eventually managed to type gb n00br4n7 "respect please". He came back next game, minus the attitude, and played I believe two more full games with us without invoking our wrath.

All of you asking how and when to use the gb command... Before using it, just ask yourself, would this make Wyz remove the gb command? If you say to yourself no, use it. It's pretty clearly stated above what the gb command is for. It's a subjective rule, but that final gut check, would Wyz remove gb, should be a good one.
                              -- Shroom
                              I tried smoking mushrooms once. Couldn't keep the pizza lit.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X