Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mapcycle / number of players

http://www.natural-selection.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=62403

Might want to read that (as of right now, it's only got two posts in it).

It explains the bug that causes our server to change to NS maps when there are clearly fewer players on the server (pre-mapchange) than is required to switch to an NS map automatically.

It's nice to know this is a bona fide bug, and not me going crazy. :)

Wyzcrak
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

I dont know about you but could we rotate our mapcyle list, seems like we play ns_metal and ns_caged way to much.

Comment

need to randomize the map rotation more

Originally posted by Emanon
      I dont know about you but could we rotate our mapcyle list, seems like we play ns_metal and ns_caged way to much.
      :!:
      Right, so I was complaining about that the other night. The way the software goes, once you come out of combat mode ( players >= 8 ), you always play ns_metal, since it is the first ns_ map listed. Likewise, when you come out of classic mode ( players < 8 ), you always play co_core, since that is the first co_ listed.

:x
      That just sucks. The way the old system works, was after the server was restarted, you always played ns_eclipse, which was okay, you got used to the map order, but the repetition didn't happen as a matter of course, it took awhile to see the same map again, and if an admin restarted the server, and you didn't want to play ns_eclipse again, he was around to change the map. Now, with the two different rotations, you see it start over again, as often as a few times a night. I have yet to see some of the maps further down the list, as the rotation starts over again so quickly.

:idea:
      I can think of some different algorithms for flayra to try, but that won't help us out right now. I propose "randomizing" the map rotation file periodicly. I could provide a perl script (or we can figure out something else if you don't like perl) to randomize the order of the maps, and you could make the server call it when ever you wanted, say, when the box was booted, or when the server is started (via batch file).

Just an idea. :?:
      --
      CaveDog
      "Go sell crazy somewhere else... we're all stocked up here."

Comment

Or have a cron job run every 20 minutes! :)
        [volun2]
        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Keep in mind it is a windows box, but nice idea.
          --
          CaveDog
          "Go sell crazy somewhere else... we're all stocked up here."

Comment

I've moved around the order of maps in the mapcycle. Hopefully this will help for now.

Wyzcrak

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by CaveDog
              Keep in mind it is a windows box, but nice idea.
              Bah to that. Pick a langauge and write your own cron job.
              I have a Win2K box running stuff every 15 minutes at work, with the help of a little Python script.
              [volun2]
              Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.

Comment

And all facial tissues are Kleenex, I guess.

Wyzcrak

Comment

While I understand the meaning of your statement, I'm confused as to which post it relates to, and in which light.
                  [volun2]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X