GLs against bots in Combat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLs against bots in Combat

I know the focus of this server is not combat, but it bothers me on a couple levels when I'm in a combat game with bots and someone gets a GL.

It's relatively easy to end games against bots with GLs (Bots are dumb, there are lots of them, you do the math) and doesn't do much in the way of allowing practice either for the person doing it, or the other people on the server.

Once the spawn que is backed up and grenades are being pumped into the hive area the number of bots on the server no longer matters (only 5 respawn at a time).

Friendly fire is a big issue and I understand this is not intentional, but more accidental deaths and damage tend to be caused by GLs than any other weapon.

When someone gets a GL and doesn't offer to f4 and back to get a different gun, I often feel I have been robbed of my fun, time, and chance to practice.

I would like there be some sort of rule or restriction against selecting a GL in a game against bots. I imagine a punishment of kicking would give them the point, and the opportunity to not get a GL when they come back. Most of the time it's a ?, and the GB command would resolve the situation.

Other people's thoughts/feelings on the matter?

Re: GLs against bots in Combat

Whenever the aline spawn queue gets backed up, I like to propose a game where everyone needs to run back and touch the CC before firing another shot.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Saying no to GLs would be easier than convincing everyone to go go back to cc and back (individual people instead of everyone) and GLs are almost always the cause of a backed up que unless there are just too many marines on the server, in which case your probably just as well to switch to an NS map.

Would this be some "rule" that you would have to go back and touch the cc? Often saying something like "get back and let them spawn" only gets half the people to pull back (and any that have gls continue to fire while farther back). Having any "suggestion" that isn't backed up by a rule tends to get ignored by at least some of the people on the server. I mean, if people switched to get rid of a GL when it's pointed out why perhaps they should do so, I wouldn't be writing this.

I'm looking more specifically for an enforcable rule that would help the combat vs bots scene.

Comment

Neg. It is not a rule. I don't care about combat enough, frankly, to make one. It's merely a suggestion for dealing with a backed up spawn queue that some have found enjoyable in the past.

I hope that by airing the issues here, others may become more aware of how their choices affect the gameplay of others, but administrating the glorified ready room doesn't seem like an appealing idea.
        [volun2]
        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I concur with Poker, FWIW (including the part about other folks reading this).
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

If you want to solve this problem, give whoever started the bots more control over the game - banning certain weapons would be part of that. That way you don't get control freaks who join a bots game and bitch it up because they can't play exactly how they want to, and neither do you get people who feel like they've wasted their points getting bots to practice upon.

My opinion only.

Comment

Ok, next time I start a bots game, I'm going to lock all weapons except hand grenades and knives.

Comment

If it happens and affects the level of enjoyment for the rest of the team, make sure the person who does it is aware of it. I'm confident that the majority of players will comply with this - but the ones who don't (the ones who clearly HEAR what you're telling them, but don't LISTEN) should be treated just like any other player who cannot communicate with their team.

Comment

Originally posted by rs_j
                  but the ones who don't (the ones who clearly HEAR what you're telling them, but don't LISTEN) should be treated just like any other player who cannot communicate with their team.
                  They may very well hear you, listen to you, and disagree and therefore ignore you.

That's not a lack of teamwork, it's a difference of opinion, and you are asking them to give you a gameplay experience that may very well be at an equal cost to their own. You're not in control of the round, you probably didn't even pay for the bots, so don't try to spin them as the selfish ones. You just differ on how you like to play.

Comment

If they can't communicate, they should be removed. If, as Slayer says, the teammate ignores you, he should be removed. To ignore another breaks the respect and communications rule.

If one person consistently, communicatively, and respectfully disagrees with the team regarding something that's not covered under any rule (small game onos, GLs against bots, etc), there's not much the average player can do but lower his expectations (and perhaps his general opinion) of that player.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                      If they can't communicate, they should be removed. If...the teammate ignores you, he should be removed. To ignore another breaks the respect and communications rule.
                      Does that mean if someone's spamming the comm for a shotgun, and he's ignored, it'll be construed as disrespect on the comm's part?

Comment

Yes.

If the guy continues to ask after he's been told "no", he should be removed so that people aren't forced to ignore him.

Comment

You could remove all the bots and end the game, then add them back, making everyone keep their lmg's.

Comment

It's combat. If you are killing Bots too easily end the game and start over (if there are enough players play NS) and make them all level 25's. If you want to play CO for COs sake... then die (sarcasm implied) :p

wblvl "# of bots" "level"
                            USAR

Comment

That command doesn't work unless your an admin, even if you paid the points.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X