Is it just me or....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just me or....

Have marines been sucking recently. I usually stack marines and have noticed that I have been losing more often than usual. Just seems like all the pro's go aliens now =(

Earlier it took 6 minutes (yes 6) to take down double nodes on viel and our base was right next to it lol....

Or maybe I just suck and I make the team lose I don't know.

Re: Is it just me or....

I can't say as I've noticed systematic marine failure.

Everyone has good games. Everyone has bad games. I see both teams win and lose regularly, with arguably similar frequency.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

From what I have found is that aliens have less of a learning curve once you are educated on how to play, comparied to marines where aimming takes a while to get good at and so does doging attacks. Also combine the fact that 2 plays on aliens can get most of the kills if the rest of the team is capping res, dropping chambers, and droping a hive. Where marines is more of a full team effort kill wise.

Also alien teamwork is easyer to pull off, simply attack the marines at the sametime is pretty good for teamwork, where marines have to use more advanced tatics like blocking door ways and hitting enough shots on a lifeform in about 1 seconds time to kill it.

Another reason is marines never seem to pressure the aliens res early on. Killing alien res should be near the top of the list for marine objectives at the start of the game, the only time it isnt it with some specific strats(jp rush). Although I have seen somewhat more agressive marines from the few games I played this week.

Comment

Originally posted by LazyEye
        From what I have found is that aliens have less of a learning curve once you are educated on how to play, comparied to marines where aimming takes a while to get good at and so does doging attacks. Also combine the fact that 2 plays on aliens can get most of the kills if the rest of the team is capping res, dropping chambers, and droping a hive. Where marines is more of a full team effort kill wise.

Also alien teamwork is easyer to pull off, simply attack the marines at the sametime is pretty good for teamwork, where marines have to use more advanced tatics like blocking door ways and hitting enough shots on a lifeform in about 1 seconds time to kill it.

Another reason is marines never seem to pressure the aliens res early on. Killing alien res should be near the top of the list for marine objectives at the start of the game, the only time it isnt it with some specific strats(jp rush). Although I have seen somewhat more agressive marines from the few games I played this week.
        Lies!

Aiming I don't think is what takes a while to learn and sets the curve. Marines tend to be easier for people who are starting out, you get direction, you don't have as many things to worry about (com takes care of them). You move slower and thus have fewer things you could be doing 5 seconds from now at any point in the game, than you could as an alien, thus more chances to make less than optimal decisions.

Admittedly aiming and dodging attacks take a while to learn and can always be improved, but aliens have more than thier share of things to learn as well and depending on what life form you plan on being will have to learn very different things, while marines only see a big difference when going to jetpacks.

I personally think alien teamwork is considerably harder to pull off than marine teamwork. Marines have the commander to guide them, a voice to lead them through the chaos. Aliens need a good understanding of thier roles, and someone to take the unofficial and undefined commander role to use the voice com and strategize. It may take multiple marines to kill a fade, but it takes multiple aliens to attack a siege location or stop a heavy train.

Trying to compare alien teamwork to moving in at the same time is like saying all the marines have to do is stand near each other so they can all shoot at the same target. It's a gross understatement.

I will give you that marines don't often push res nodes as much as they should. Killing even just one resnode in the first 3 min can give you a great head start.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Pirate
          Lies!

Aiming I don't think is what takes a while to learn and sets the curve. Marines tend to be easier for people who are starting out, you get direction, you don't have as many things to worry about (com takes care of them). You move slower and thus have fewer things you could be doing 5 seconds from now at any point in the game, than you could as an alien, thus more chances to make less than optimal decisions.

Admittedly aiming and dodging attacks take a while to learn and can always be improved, but aliens have more than thier share of things to learn as well and depending on what life form you plan on being will have to learn very different things, while marines only see a big difference when going to jetpacks.

I personally think alien teamwork is considerably harder to pull off than marine teamwork. Marines have the commander to guide them, a voice to lead them through the chaos. Aliens need a good understanding of thier roles, and someone to take the unofficial and undefined commander role to use the voice com and strategize. It may take multiple marines to kill a fade, but it takes multiple aliens to attack a siege location or stop a heavy train.

Trying to compare alien teamwork to moving in at the same time is like saying all the marines have to do is stand near each other so they can all shoot at the same target. It's a gross understatement.

I will give you that marines don't often push res nodes as much as they should. Killing even just one resnode in the first 3 min can give you a great head start.
          When I talk about the learning curve of marines and aliens I'm not talking about a person that just started playing the game, obviously marines is easier to learn at the start because its comparable to other fps games, where aliens is in a class of its own. But once a player is educated on how to play both sides, aliens is much quicker to master than marines. When you see someone who is poor at playing aliens they are basically uneducated on how to play correctly, they run down hallways at marines, they don’t ambush at all, they never hit and run, don’t never look at the minimap, once a player is taught how to do these things the skill of the alien players rises drastically. The two basic (very basic) skills of a marine is aiming and dodging attacks, these are very hard to master and are hard to teach to other players, they mostly come with many hours of practice.

Also by just looking at games in CAL, generally aliens win more games as the skill of the players decrease, its been like this for a while. I dub it "alien tie syndrome." When ever a team of lesser skill plays a team of higher skill the team with less skill usually always has a better chance of winning alien than they have at winning marine(sometimes the map changes this.)

Comment

perhaps there's a way to keep stats on a server of overall marine/alien performance vs map vs starting hive location?
            Ambriento for comm! Vote today!

Comment

Originally posted by Darkilla
              perhaps there's a way to keep stats on a server of overall marine/alien performance vs map vs starting hive location?
              I think this idea has been brought up before, and rejected. Forgive me if I am mistaken though.

In terms of learning curve, yes not alot of people know how to aim really well, and jump/duck in such a way to aviod alien jaws.

You get the illusion of the aliens not having an equivalently hard learning curve because most decent alien teams manage to divide the responsibility to who can handle it the best. The person who goes fade is usually one of the best fades on the team. They probably practice fade alot, and cannot necessarily play lerk or onos well.

You probably don't notice all the sub-par skulks because it's "expected" that the marine wins a 1 on 1 skirmish (static player wins against advancing playing in a 1 on 1 fight, and marines not having to get close to an alien tend to encouter more of these scenarios. Aliens waiting in a good spot can catch advancing marines, but this is more complicated than pausing in a long hallway.)

Not many skulks utilize leap to anywhere near it's full potential, bunny hop, use walls during a fight with a marine (after shots fired and at least one bite into it), or pick good hiding places that give them both a good chance of success in a fight and have marines coming by often enough to be useful.

Aliens who are not good at much at all have the option of gorging and building, like marines do for building/welding.

Most of the good skulks (on this server anyway) are also pretty good at another life form, so it's easy to attribute thier many kills to thier life form status. It doesn't change the fact that the average player around here would die in 2 min as a fade.

Marines sometimes use all of thier players to advance (rushes, sieges) and don't leave players behind who would not be as efficient at this to do another task. (beacon brings them to the group, everyone is expected to stay with it.) Aliens are ususally better off sending at least one person out to hit nodes and stuff, and can actually have people healing while the hive is under attack, while marines are expected to attack and not weld in the presence of aliens.

So the skill level of each alien player does not have to be factored in to one battle, but it's more likely the skill level of all marines, or at least more marines will.

This does not suggest they require more teamwork in the sense that individual skill at playing is different from ones ability to work as a team.

This also does not suggest marines have more of a learning curve, just that people who are closer to the bad side of the curve are more likely to get involved in ways that would not be best for them.

Comment

I can vouch for xtc sucking, at least...

miss u guys.. ill be back soon!

"Who put the fun in dysfunctional? I." - Aesop Rock

"Cuz you can choose to say 'Good morning, God! =)' or 'Good God, morning! =(" - Blackalicious

Comment

If you brought stats to TGNS, people like me would just stat whore for their self-esteem.

Comment

Given what I've seen of your gameplay, I wouldn't recommend TGNS stats for driving your self-esteem.

<3
                    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                      Given what I've seen of your gameplay, I wouldn't recommend TGNS stats for driving your self-esteem.

<3
                      Said the uber-fade.
                      -Zephyr
                      You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
                      We are not a single game.
                      We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
                      We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X