• Is this possible with a script?

Is it possible to make a script so that:

If I join aliens:
    brightness 3
    gamma 1

If I join marines:
    brightness 5
    gamma 3

Basically what I was wondering is if I could make it a little darker when I'm on aliens (so I don't get blinded by alien flashlight when there's high contrasting lights), and little brighter when I'm on marines to see skulks better.

From what I've tried it sets the new values for them but the map stays at the same level of brightness (except for the structures and models that darken), and it won't set it until map restart.

Is there another command to achieve this or am I out of luck if I hafta restart the map?
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Re: Is this possible with a script?

I dont think its possable unless you restart ns, I would suggest changing the brightness/contrast on your monitor when you want it darker/lighter.

Comment

Originally posted by LazyEye
      I dont think its possable unless you restart ns, I would suggest changing the brightness/contrast on your monitor when you want it darker/lighter.
      Can I make a script for that? :P

A thought occurs, would it be possible to adjust openGL settings in windows via a script to do the same effect, or by a 3rd party utility?

Comment

Try to alt-tab out and into the game, or set it through the steam menu. If that doesn't work, then Im stumped.
        USAR

Comment

I'm sure there's a reason why the game doesn't do it right away without a map change. I doubt a script could change that. But wouldn't turning it down for aliens work fine for the purposes of reducing the alien flashlight?

Comment

Originally posted by Zek
            I'm sure there's a reason why the game doesn't do it right away without a map change. I doubt a script could change that. But wouldn't turning it down for aliens work fine for the purposes of reducing the alien flashlight?
            IMO, it actually enhances the alien flashlight because the rest of the enviroment is darker so it makes alien flashlight more noticeable, especially in typically bright rooms (where you get blinded by bright lights when using it and end up getting killed).

Comment

Originally posted by aeroripper
              Can I make a script for that? :P

A thought occurs, would it be possible to adjust openGL settings in windows via a script to do the same effect, or by a 3rd party utility?
              Look into AutoIt if you want to try scripting something in Windows.

Comment

I have several scripts that function differently when joining aliens or marines including changing button settings, adding 3 jump to aliens and changing impuses. I set the gamma and brightness in a userconfig file that executes after the config file completes and run the alien or marine file based off of pressing f1 or f2. If you wanted you could set the commands in those files seperately.

Comment

Originally posted by AgonysGolem
                  I have several scripts that function differently when joining aliens or marines including changing button settings, adding 3 jump to aliens and changing impuses. I set the gamma and brightness in a userconfig file that executes after the config file completes and run the alien or marine file based off of pressing f1 or f2. If you wanted you could set the commands in those files seperately.
                  I can't execute seperate brightness levels without restarting the level.

I have my userconfig set to exec marine.cfg and alien.cfg when I joined each team respectively.

I have to restart the map for the brightness\gamma options to take effect.

The only way i could make it work is to activate it BEFORE I join the server and stay on a certain side until the next map.

Comment

I used my config that I have right now and just threw in the two gamma settings you put. I pressed f2 from the ready room to join aliens and it got really dark, then I pressed f1 while I was on the aliens and it turned bright again, f2 dark, f1 bright. You shouldn't have to restart your map in order for the changes to take effect if you have it set up correctly. I can send you my config files if you want to look them over.

Comment

Originally posted by AgonysGolem
                      I used my config that I have right now and just threw in the two gamma settings you put. I pressed f2 from the ready room to join aliens and it got really dark, then I pressed f1 while I was on the aliens and it turned bright again, f2 dark, f1 bright. You shouldn't have to restart your map in order for the changes to take effect if you have it set up correctly. I can send you my config files if you want to look them over.
                      Yes that would be most helpful if you could :)

Comment

wow, this is really useful. i tried to do this a while ago but couldn't. It would be especially good on hera.

Comment

Originally posted by themeatshield
                          wow, this is really useful. i tried to do this a while ago but couldn't. It would be especially good on hera.
                          Welcome to the forums, meat. Be sure you've read all of the required reading atop the forum index, including the NS rules/announcements.

Let us know if we can help.
                          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Could we possibly get the script and instructions on an FTP so that we could share it across the community? Brightness really screws with my flashlight as well.

Food for thought.

-Mom
                            Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X