Balance and amx_random

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balance and amx_random

So I wanted to bring up an issue that I've seen several times now, but does not appear to be explicitly against the rules stated in the tacticalwiki. Are players allowed to switch sides after a balance or amx_random command but before the game has actually begun? To show why I think this matters, let me share my experience today. After several boring very one-sided games, I decided to try to get an even game using the balance command. At the time, there were three players on the server that I consider highly skilled players. Balance put 2 on one side, one on the other side. "Ok," I think, "time for a balanced game." At this point, the highly skilled player on marines switched to aliens, resulting in yet again a game with all three of them on the same side, and a game in which marines were unable to keep a single node outside of base (I think the kill count was about five to one...). As I think most people do not enjoy this type of game regardless of which side they are on, I would like to know if this behavior is explicitly against the rules and whether there is any appropriate action that can be taken in response.

Re: Balance and amx_random

The only reason to switch teams is due to Marine extra, or if two players (one on each team) decide to switch.

Repercussions... I don't know. If I see this as habit, I'd probably restart the map ;) That'll learn em.
    USAR

Comment

I've seen this situation before and it is very irritating when people do this as it completely defeats the purpose of the balance function.

People should not be switching unless somebody on the other side will switch with them or balancing teams. I've seen some servers that have an anti-f4ing plugin that once your on a team, that's it.

I don't think that would work here though because the teams have to stay even and people need to f4 to do it.
      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Has anyone sent a Private Message to the registered players who do this? Send the PM, and, if you think dude doesn't come to the forums often, simply and quickly note that you've sent him a message next time you see him.
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

What about a plugin that automatically re-assigns you to a team as soon as you F4 when a game is in proress? That way if the teams were balanced you'll be put back where you were, but if they weren't it will switch you. Also pretty much fixes the issue with surrendering via F4.

Comment

Well, I'm very hesitant to see this problem solved technically. If someone wants to do something, and you take that choice from them without convincing them why it's necessary, you've likely pissed them off in the process.

People who F4 at the end of the game are rare enough to not justify technical intervention, and I get the feeling that this business about people unfavorable managing teams before the round starts can be corrected socially, privately or publicly, with a bit of effort.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

It seems to me that skill stacking is an extremely disrespectful form of behaviour. As much as people may like to play with certain other players, if this happens at the detriment of the enjoyment of others, this is not acceptable. I'm not saying that this should never be allowed, but players should have the maturity and respect of the game experience of others not to repeatedly foist this situation on them. We don't come to TG to "pwn noobs", so please don't skill stack excessively.

Also, what Wyz said about privately PMing those players about it is a good idea.
              Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

zib's right. You see dude do it once? Think what you will. It's your business.

You see dude do it repeatedly? It's an admin's business. Make sure an admin knows about it, privately, including names. Take the time to share the information with the people who can and will solve the problem.

Comment

While reading these posts down, and I am not trying to rag on Zek, but let's try to use technical solutions as seldom as possible. There's very little that can't be solved through communication.
                  Ambriento for comm! Vote today!

Comment

Originally posted by Darkilla
                    While reading these posts down, and I am not trying to rag on Zek, but let's try to use technical solutions as seldom as possible. There's very little that can't be solved through communication.
                    I agree... but mostly because Wyz is the one who has to code all these plugins, and I don't trust the secret skills he codes himself between the lines of code! </sarcasm>

Agamemnon: Thank you for bringing this up.

Everyone: The solution should be community/server presence making it known that this behaviour is simply poor sportsmanship. If this is an offence that repeats, PM an admin (me, zib.. poker etc) about it so we can privately have dialogue with the player.
                    USAR

Comment

I just wanted to note that the past few days regulars have been spot on with evening the teams. Thank you very much guys, your integrity and respect for your fellow gamers is really what makes playing on the TGNS server a great experience!
                      USAR

Comment

I've seen this, too.

Many thanks.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X