Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve developing p2p for steam?

http://www.steamreview.org/?p=54

I know that the NS team has a 3.0f version fully compatable to be in the mygames list and autoupdate, but nothing has been done with it and maybe valve is waiting to do something like this.

Basically, its possible their developing p2p bitorrent tech to downloading and auto-update(?) mods through peer bandwith instead off of the steam content servers.

Thoughts?
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Re: Valve developing p2p for steam?

If I don't notice it and it only runs when my computer is IDLE (Meaning i'm not doing ANYTHING, not just not playing a steam game) then its a great idea.
    birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

Originally posted by aeroripper
      http://www.steamreview.org/?p=54

I know that the NS team has a 3.0f version fully compatable to be in the mygames list and autoupdate, but nothing has been done with it and maybe valve is waiting to do something like this.

Basically, its possible their developing p2p bitorrent tech to downloading and auto-update(?) mods through peer bandwith instead off of the steam content servers.

Thoughts?
      I thought that's what they had been doing for quite some time. I mean, they (Valve) had Bram Cohen on staff for two years or so, from 2003 to 2005.
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
        I thought that's what they had been doing for quite some time. I mean, they (Valve) had Bram Cohen on staff for two years or so, from 2003 to 2005.
        I don't think its peer to peer though, just downloads straight from the content servers (I think it works like bitorrent, except the seed is valve's content servers)

Really I think the article is more speculation, it is dated March 16th so its relatively new.
        Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
        Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

At first I saw the topic and was like PAY 2 PLAY? NO!!!!

Anyway back on topic. It does make sense if it goes p2p. I'm sure the downloading will go faster as well. I'm sure your only uploading when downloading.

Comment

Doesn't Steam already use some form of modified bittorrent, like fileplanet download manager?

Comment

i think valve is still at the server/client level. They have the cash, so they pay for bandwidth.
              Torrenting is a fantastic idea, but it'd completely dependant on everyone who shares the file wanting to lose their privacy in the files they download. I torrent quite frequently and realize that everyone else on the torrent knows exactly who I am (IP) the minute i join the swarm. I"m ok with this.

I really dislike how torrents have created such a bad name for themselves through piracy, while the actual idea of sharing bandwidth is brilliant.
              Ambriento for comm! Vote today!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X