Team Balance and F4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team Balance and F4

I thought about a point punishment on people who f4 from a game today. Would it be possible to take away points when a player f4's and give them back when he rejoins the opposite team?

As in, Bob f4's to balance teams.
    Bob loses 120 points.
    Bob joins aliens.
    Bob gains 240 points.

Given that Bob f4'd, he lost 120 points. If he does not rejoin his team or the opposite team within a given time period, he loses 120 points, rather than gaining 120 points when he balanced the team.

Not sure if it'd be possible to give seperate points for joining the opposite team and the same team, as in if he rejoined the same team he only gets the points back that he lost. This way, when people f4, they lose points and are punished for rageing, so to speak.

Lotta loose ends, but it's an idea.

Tell me what you think.

-Mom
    Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Re: Team Balance and F4

The evil part of me is chuckling at the prospect of taking people's points away but unfortunately I think there are too many problems with this. A simple problem would be that a player leaves his team with the intent to balance them, but then a different player switches faster than the first one did, leaving the first player with a loss in points. You could then re-add the points when the player rejoins his original team, I suppose.

Rage-quitting is a community issue- if a player rage-quits, they should be warned about it. If they repeatedly do it, they can/should be kicked for it. The escalation should occur like any other rule infraction, IMHO, and I'm not sure that a plugin to enforce or mildly punish for it is the way to go.
    Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

*** fix the person, not the server ***
      Ambriento for comm! Vote today!

Comment

Originally posted by zibalatz
        The evil part of me is chuckling at the prospect of taking people's points away but unfortunately I think there are too many problems with this. A simple problem would be that a player leaves his team with the intent to balance them, but then a different player switches faster than the first one did, leaving the first player with a loss in points. You could then re-add the points when the player rejoins his original team, I suppose.

Rage-quitting is a community issue- if a player rage-quits, they should be warned about it. If they repeatedly do it, they can/should be kicked for it. The escalation should occur like any other rule infraction, IMHO, and I'm not sure that a plugin to enforce or mildly punish for it is the way to go.
        The part about "rage quitting," to punish a player just for leaving a game is pretty silly, even if they left the game after they die as fade or something. Now if they started saying stuff like "this team sucks" etc, then leave the game that would already fall under the respect rule. Rage quiiting is also a hugely over used term and seems to come into play more than it should, like when ever someone leaves. What is more annoying is people saying, "haha rage quit" when someone leaves the game after they died.

Also I don't think players f4ing to end the game is really an issue on the server, I hardly ever see it happen, and it almost never happens when the server is full of regs.

Comment

Okay, so more along the lines of... possible turning off F4? I know I go in some servers and there is NO f4. Rage makes the game suck.

Thoughts?

Maybe a poll on turning OFF F4?

-Mom
          Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

Originally posted by Darkilla
            *** fix the person, not the server ***
            This is correct.

Guys, when you see something you don't like, tell the person that you don't like what you just saw. Do it with humble confidence, if you have to, but communicate it to them. Lots of times, that solves the problem. No kidding. Lots of times.

But not every time, for one reason or another. If you regularly find yourself telling someone about the same thing you don't like, communicate your concerns to an admin in a forum private message. If it neeeeeeds changing, they can and will enable that change.
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Yer Mom
              Okay, so more along the lines of... possible turning off F4? I know I go in some servers and there is NO f4. Rage makes the game suck.

Thoughts?

Maybe a poll on turning OFF F4?

-Mom
              Turning off f4 won't make people stop rage quitting, most of them disconnect from the server anyway. You can't make people stay connected.

Wyz, it's harder to tell someone you don't appreciate thier behavior if they leave. Should the average player be expected to write down names, and try to hunt people down on the forums? (Keep in mind the game names don't have to correspond to thier forums names).

Certainly more could be done to "shame" these people into not doing it anymore, and I think we could improve alot by talking to people. The nature of the problem does not facilitate comminication (which is another reason why it's a bad thing).

Comment

To be honest, I think most people just don't care that much about points. Namely the people who are too new to the server to know about them, and the regulars who have more than they know what to do with.

Comment

Not so much meaning for this post to be a lesson on how to talk to someone, but more of a discussion of the ways to maybe stop a common, game-interupting problem.

It doesn't have to be about f4ing or anything really.

I'd like to address spawn camping myself, but not sure if a post would be the best way to go about it. I play on a server on the off time sometimes that has a mod that makes the hive emit umbra around it, and spores, protecting the spawners. Doesn't do much against a raid on the hive, cuz the umbra isn't hitting the hive.

I liked it.

-Mom
                  Yer Mom /O>

Comment

Guys... people are going to quit, rage or otherwise, during a game, people are going to want to switch teams if they either came with a friend and they want to play with him or because their sick of playing the same team over and over... that's just the way it is. If someone leaves the game, someone else needs to even the teams if necessary. People will and do leave games for whatever reason, and when that happens, we have a community rule as to fix the teams. End of story.

If you see a regular pattern of somebody quitting when they die as a lifeform (by pattern, I mean more than once) or at the end of a game their team is losing, either stand up and say something to that person or find an admin to talk to that person. We are readily available and pretty capable when it comes to talking to people about behaviors. Please, let's not make this a huge debate.
                    --------

Zephyr: Besides Wyzcrak and his godly voice; the kind of voice that you will expect to say "Zephyr, I need you to build an ark at Marine Start, with room for two of every structure so that I may turret spam for 40 days and 40 nights" that is.

Squeak:Sometimes I'm awed by zibs genius. Then I remember he's Canadian and I feel significantly less threatened.

Comment

Keres is right.

So are you, Irish. Communication solves this problem, however it happens. Yes, DO note names, even if in your head. Look for patterns. If a forum PM is too much work, mention it kindly next time he's on the server.

Golem started to leave at the end of a recent game we were losing. I really can't say *I* recall such a pattern in Golem, but I nevertheless asked him to stay until the game ended (90 seconds tops), as I don't like seeing *anyone* leave an almost-finished round he's losing. He amicably obliged, presumably understanding the motivations behind my request without me even having to state them.

I'm no less busy than the next guy, and I make a point to always stay until the end of a round I'm losing (or winning), as it makes the server a better place to be on in ways I don't have the time to quantify at the moment (just got home from a three hour drive -- it's bedtime).
                      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X