NS The Best?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS The Best?

I'm currently hooked on Dystopia, but I hear some rumors that this may be a prett decent game? ;) 2 people have flat out told me I should get it... so I guess I should break down and pay the $10 to get me HL1 so I can download the mod... I was kinda hoping that a source version would come out soon but I guess that's a ways off...

()

Re: NS The Best?

When is NS:S coming out? Answer that question for yourself. Notice that, given the vast information source that is the Internet, you really have no idea when NS:S is coming out.

Don't wait for NS:S before you decide to try Natural Selection. Forgive me if I sound like a broken record, and my apologies if the game dies here tomorrow, but observe that this game has been played here for three and a half years STRAIGHT now... daily.

The game is amazing. It has depth and possibilities which are, literally seemingly, endless. Yeah, the graphics leave something to be desired, but it is called, after all, "playing a game," not "watching a game." The game makes up for in gameplay ten times over what it lacks in aesthetics.

Pay $10. You may not like it, but I bet you do. When you join the server, add "(I'm New)" to your name, no kidding. The game has a steep learning curve, and TGNS is frequented by helpful and intelligent community members who will help you once you ask. Your playername is the first impression you make on them.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Wyz, it's worth $10 just to play Half Life, so it's not like he can go wrong.

Comment

HL alone is not worth $10 to me. I bought the game for the mods.

Regardless, I suspect you're right that he can't go wrong in paying $10 to play NS.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
          When is NS:S coming out? Answer that question for yourself. Notice that, given the vast information source that is the Internet, you really have no idea when NS:S is coming out.
          Ouch! Welcome me too! ;) I heard from a friend who plays it something like a year or more was an estimate for source version... don't know more than that... sorry I didn't cite a source! I really need to stop delaying and get it. When I do, I'll let you all know! :)

()

Comment

NS is without question the best, however I've recently fallen into another free game called Shattered Galaxy. It's the first MMORTS I've played or heard of, and the concept is incredible, if the execution is a bit lacking. So thats why I havent been on the NS server for a few days now, but I'll be back eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewy
              I'm currently hooked on Dystopia, but I hear some rumors that this may be a prett decent game? ;) 2 people have flat out told me I should get it... so I guess I should break down and pay the $10 to get me HL1 so I can download the mod... I was kinda hoping that a source version would come out soon but I guess that's a ways off...
              But it over steam, now. I've been playing NS for 3 straight years almost nightly and its the only video game I've EVER stayed playing for that long of time. There is a significant amount of depth that can be explored once you get the basic flow of what's going on, I still learn new strategies about the game I didn't know every once and a while (after 3 years, playing nightly).

The one big reason I don't like dystopia is because there is no real teamwork, there is some, but not ANYTHING like NS. I love NS because the entire gameplay mechanics require on high levels of teamwork on both aliens and marines, everyone is important and not some random class (I hate class games).

Any kind of mod or multiplayer game coming out these days doesn't interest me much unless it has the level of teamwork (especially on this server) that NS has built into the game mechanics (especially commander mode\hive sight).

I wish somebody could make a video of snippets of live TG games in NS to give players of other games here an introduction.

The source version won't be out for at least 2 years seeing as how it appears they havn't gotten any of the meat and potatoes work done yet. The original took them 2 years so I'd imagine this one would take the same or longer. I actually know a few of my friends that said they would play it for sure if it had better graphics, but really this game looks damn good for the HL engine and you don't notice it after a while because your so immersed in the game.

I'm rambling :D Go buy it its well worth the $10 for HL, and here is a download link to the latest 3.1 version:

http://download.jarhedz.com/ns_beta/...nstall_v31.exe

and the manual if you wanna skim through it while downloading (you will pick stuff up fast, but put "I'm new" in your name like wyz suggested so it helps us out).

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/comm...asic/index.htm

EDIT: Figured I'd add some more, I really love the marine vs. aliens concept. The aliens truly are COMPLETELY unique from the marines and really makes playing against them something else especially when their used by other humans. Think of it like playing a ripoff starcraft FPS\RTS, its really good.

Just a reminder, there are two kinds of maps in Natural Selection.

Combat Maps - These start with the co_levelname in the map list in the server browser, in this relatively new game mode you gain points that you spend on upgrades (armor, better weps, etc). There isn't a lot of teamwork and this is more like NS meets deathmatch.

Classic Maps - These start with the ns_levelname in the map list, this is the main game and what NS was designed for. Marines can have one guy that will command (place structures, upgrades tech, plan strategy for the team, help his marines stay alive) and has an overhead view of the level. Aliens ahve something called "hivesight" that is kind of a democratic commander mode between all aliens where you will see when and where things happen on your hud, and as aliens gain more resources they evolve into bigger and better lifeforms (although they are all interdependent on the other lifeforms as well)... pretty neat.

Depending on what time of you day you play on the TG server it might be playing a co_ map until the server gets enough players to play a decent NS game. I'm not really a fan of combat very much but it helps you get an idea of the weapons and lifeforms in a less "urgent" enviroment. Nothing is better than winning or losing with your team after an epic game (power struggles, close calls, sneak attacks, you name it). I've had some really fun games on this server especially when you have those 30min games that go back and forth (occasionally longer but everybody starts getting tired, especially the commander :D)
              Last edited by aeroripper; 04-20-2006, 05:56 PM.
              Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
              Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Considering the NS dev's cant even get the website functioning (forums,etc, have been down for closing in on a year now), I wouldn't expect NS:Source anytime soon, if at all.

Comment

Haha... well I got it now... just need to play it! :)

()

Comment

Ouch! Welcome me too! ;) I heard from a friend who plays it something like a year or more was an estimate for source version... don't know more than that... sorry I didn't cite a source! I really need to stop delaying and get it. When I do, I'll let you all know! :)
                    You should have heard the welcome I got from the EVE guys. :row__631:

Comment

Haha... I bet... how's that game btw?

()

Comment

Haha... I bet... how's that game btw?
                        Very good. Not really my cup o' joe, but if you combine Freelancer with Homeworld2, and turn it into an MMO....well, that's a good approximation.

Comment

I'm primarily a BF2 fan but NS is a great game. I haven't been playing that long but the combination of RTS and FPS is fantastic.

Comment

Wow just played some NS and all I can say is that game would totally rule if it had some graphics... but it still seems pretty cool, very fast pace... my only beef is with those crazy fast flying aliens... that was more than annoying... i couldnt move that fast if i wanted too. I only played Marines but enjoyed it. :)

()

Comment

Natural Selection is the community's fastest title without question.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X