Rates and their effects on TG.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rates and their effects on TG.

We were playing origin today and Samn hadn't fixed his rates. For some reason he seemed to be shooting bullets faster than the rest of his team. I could get within biting distance of EVERY other 7 players on his team, but not him. For some reason, something was different about his damage.

Other people on my team noticed this as well.

I know that we should help people fix their rates for our gameplay environment, but when should we be able to kick people for the sake of the game? Is this a good scenario? The reason I ask is because Samn has shown up in TGNS multiple times now. He's always got a good ratio, but I never noticed why untill today. Should we suppose that if someone frequents the server, they are required to fix their rates?

Also, if someone's rates aren't fixed, and they are a ? player, does the ? overlap the !? How are we to know that a ? has bad rates?

-Mom
    Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Re: Rates and their effects on TG.

I'm pretty sure that ! will take priority over ?, since almost all of the ! players are also ? players. By the time a player registers, he's usually got a handle on how to set his rates (assuming he wants to...)

I'll leave the rest to someone else.

Edit: It should also be noted that samn is on the server right now, with perfectly normal rates. I can't speak to his aim, but his rates are fine.
    Last edited by Kerostasis; 04-20-2006, 10:08 PM.

Comment

I didn't experience this firsthand, but my guess would be that it's something like getting shot with "rubber bullets behind a wall" - not actually altering game dynamics, just an increadible fascimilie.

Comment

Have a time limit olugin. For example, give them a time limit to fix their rates and if they ignore that, auto kick them and on the kick message should say "Please fix your rates first." or something like that.

Comment

Interesting idea, but do we want to discourage people from coming back like that?

We're not trying to form crowd control, only fix a problem with someone's rates. I believe rcon admin can fix their rates for them if it comes to the extreme, not sure.

Maybe instead of kicking them, put them in the RR and make the /rateshelp message stay up till they fix them?

-Mom
          Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

Rates wont make you shoot faster than other players. Someitmes this can happen if you get a ping spike, you "catch up" to the server and move/shoot faster than normal but most of the time you just sit there lagged.

Low rates aren't going to make you play better, especially on marines where registration is more important. Some could argue low rates make yourself harder to hit because you send less information to the server, but thats iffy at best.

Comment

I'd want broken rates to become a more widespread problem before I see administrative intervention.

Note: admins are not able (and have not been able) to forcefully change player rates, using RCON or anything else.
              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Okay. Another thing I'd like to address in this post is pings. Some people ping over 150 and lag way too much for them to be able to be hit. We've all seen it, and we all hate it.

While I don't think we should set a rule in play about pings, nor do I think we should add a plugin, maybe we could address the people playing with these pings to not abuse it as much as they do.

I take Nsinner to be a friend of mine, and I respect him, but his ping makes him own everything. He doesn't so much abuse it as much as he takes advantage of it, but if you play with him or against him much, he's ALWAYS in the hive. In fact, I rarely see him play aliens at all. Maybe we could limit the power a single man can gain over an entire team given he has proper aim and a high ping.

Just food for thought.

I'd also like to see this thread continue on the rates side of things.

-Mom
                Yer Mom /O>

Comment

Who else, besides nsinner, regularly causes concern with his ping?

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Yer Mom
                    I take Nsinner to be a friend of mine, and I respect him, but his ping makes him own everything. He doesn't so much abuse it as much as he takes advantage of it, but if you play with him or against him much, he's ALWAYS in the hive. In fact, I rarely see him play aliens at all. Maybe we could limit the power a single man can gain over an entire team given he has proper aim and a high ping.
                    Ping does not have that kind of effect.
                    [volun2]
                    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Didnt exactly mean to accuse Nsinnser of being too leet with his ping, just wanted to point out that ping DOES affect game play, and ask if anyone else felt that we needed to put a limitation on what high ping players can do.

I'd like to see more opinions on this. Not looking to set into play a new rule, just a topic for discussion. What do the rest of you think?

-Mom
                      Yer Mom /O>

Comment

Has this been a problem with any other regular besides nsinner?

Comment

Originally posted by Yer Mom
                          Didnt exactly mean to accuse Nsinnser of being too leet with his ping, just wanted to point out that ping DOES affect game play, and ask if anyone else felt that we needed to put a limitation on what high ping players can do.

I'd like to see more opinions on this. Not looking to set into play a new rule, just a topic for discussion. What do the rest of you think?

-Mom
                          Latency normally affects gameplay for the latent, not for the other people on the server. Yes, there are times when rate fiddling can have a positive effect, but overall, it makes for a choppy experience for the high-latency player, and the other players still work just fine.

And...
                          Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                          Has this been a problem with any other regular besides nsinner?
                          [volun2]
                          NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                          Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                          <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                          <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Rates messes up with your registry and others trying to kill you. It could be "LEARN TO AIM SON" but you can't really aim at something to chops all over your screen.

Comment

Your ex_interp setting can fix that and allow you aim at a laggy player normally. If you have a high ex_interp setting, you'll find it more difficult to hit laggy players.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X