How to only hear voicecomms?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to only hear voicecomms?

Question for you guys that are good with scripting...

I am looking for something that I can switch off ALL in game sound fx but still be able to hear voicecomms.

The problem I'm having in the game is when I'm trying to listen to what people are saying there are loud noises in the game (guns firing, fades making noise etc...) and I only get bits and pieces of what their saying.

Is there a way to completely mute all ingame sound to only hear voiecomms loud and clear. I've tried setting the audio volume slider to zero but it mutes the voicecomm as well at 0, and even just lowering it quiets the receiving voicecomms. I also have voice receive on full but its still hard to hear in the heat of battle.

Ideally I would like to be able to press a button to temporarily turn off game sounds, then hit it again to turn it back on.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Re: How to only hear voicecomms?

Try the "volume" console command. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe that sets the volume of everything except voice coms.

1.0 is full volume, so anything less than that will be quieter.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis
      Try the "volume" console command. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe that sets the volume of everything except voice coms.

1.0 is full volume, so anything less than that will be quieter.
      "Volume" performs the same function as sliding the audio bar. 2.0 is full volume, 0.0 is off. The same problem with voicecomms going off at 0.0 is inherent in this approach as well.

Comment

There is a separate volume command for voice comm. I believe its voice_scale. If you set that high then lower the volume it will probably have the effect you want.
        Steam Community: | |

Comment

"stopsound" in console worked for DoD and CS if the server allowed it, but only to get rid of ambient sound.
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
            "stopsound" in console worked for DoD and CS if the server allowed it, but only to get rid of ambient sound.
            Most ambient sounds in NS repeat every second or two. stopsound is really only useful when you keep hearing a sound that shouldn't be playing stuck (such as that door opening in co_blackmesa.)

I don't think this is possible, aero. Sorry. Your best bet is to lower the game sounds just about to the point where you can still hear skulk footsteps pretty well, and then raise the voicecomm volume so you can hear it over your own bite.

Comment

voice_scale seems to be what you're after. I have mine set to 3, but you occasionally can't hear someone whose mic is too loud. If you're looking to set up a script to do this temporarily, I'd suggest having it set volume 0.1 and then voice_scale to something high (5-10). That'll drop overall volume and then raise just the voice back up. Then have another one to set them back to normal for when you want to be able to hear the skulk behind you...

Comment

I finally fixed my prob. I had to lower my windows sound relatively low because apparantly I was getting feedback from my headset microphone. These USB 5.1 headphones are fussy but I finally figured it out and my mic sounds good finally too... just wish NS supported 5.1 surround :P.

Now I can hear everything fine.

Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by aeroripper
                  These USB 5.1 headphones are fussy
                  EZonics?

Comment

LTB (listen to believe)

http://www.ltbaudio.com/ltb-usb-m.html

Comment

I had the problem with things like engine noise completely drowning out everything.

Set in-game volume to 1.0
                      Control your volume with the magic yellow speaker in windows.
                      -- Shroom
                      I tried smoking mushrooms once. Couldn't keep the pizza lit.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X