Time limit on captains' games?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time limit on captains' games?

A big reason I see many people complaining about captains' games is that they take too long to get going. Usually, people will join teams, chat for a few minutes, and then actually plan some kind of strategy. I think we can do without the idle chatter before readying for the game. It is extremely frustruating when one team is ready minutes before the other team even starts planning their strategy.

Does everyone else think it would be wise to have a 5 minute timelimit between settings captains mode and starting the game? If not, can we agree to figure out a strategy first, say ready, and then start catching up with each other?

Re: Time limit on captains' games?

maybe not 5 minutes just because it takes that long to pick teams. i would say 7-10 minute limit.

Comment

perhaps one team readying, starts the 2 minute timer until the other team must ready
      i guess there'll be alot of gorge rush's.....
      Ambriento for comm! Vote today!

Comment

I can't say I'm opposed to the first post, but it didn't grab me. Something was missing.

Originally posted by Darkilla
        perhaps one team readying, starts the 2 minute timer until the other team must ready
        I like this. If one team can get it done, another team should be able to get it done given two more minutes than the other team had.
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Works for me.

Comment

I do not think we need a timelimit.

Normaly it is the captain who should lead the planning, or someone who is better at it.
            He should get the team onto the plan once the teams are set. If he does not, then Idle talk will fill the space. What you want to do is force the team to take action in planning right away.

However some plans need more time then others to do.
            A complex plan, such as a relocate needs to have more set up, then a simple grab nodes/tech up, or rush gorges/shotguns. Just because your plan could be explained in less then a minute does not mean that the team your fighting has to do the same.

Using a limit after the first team readys is not good. Here's why.

As both sides, durring the latter capatin games often have teams that are full of regular players. It make it easy to make a fast plan. Wyz can come and say we will do a elect-resnode rush and for most, we know what to do. Or maybe keres will be commander and say "normal game", playerX build the rest leave base and get nodes.

On the otherside we have more complex plans, almost always for the aliens.

Why? because the aliens are forced to make up to 3 plans. One for each possable starting hive. Most of us will make more generic plans, but some of them requre one of the hives to be start.

We come for the team, and limiting the planing durring captain games could destroy part of the team aspect, the planning part.

If we need to do something, have people get on the captain to lead the team planning faster.
            Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

The only time I would be opposed to the timelimit is when you have people leaving and joining, and you have to alter your plans to fit them, plus explain the entire plan to the new joiners. So if you see the other team is still changing players, be a gentleman and don't ready just yet to give them some time to think.

The rest of the time, I think this is a great idea.

Comment

I definately favor this idea. The current state of the pregame usually makes me skip captains games, and this would rectify my biggest complaint. My only other problem is the time it takes to pick teams, and there is little to be done about that other than prodding from good admins.
                Rm 14:2 NIV
                One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.

Comment

The picking teams stage.
                  Really simple.

Once the captains have been decided, voice comm is officially off. DO NOT SPEAK. CPT1 picks first person, (marine to make life easy), CPT2 picks person two and three. Once you have joined the game, you may chat at your hearts content. ONLY ABOUT GAME RELATED ISSUES. Half of the reson we have such a problem with time constraints, are due to the games where we don't do any planning till 5 minutes into the ready stage...!

I would even go so far as to have the captains type the teams as follows

adj - Darkilla Marine
                  Wyz - Turb - Alien
                  Wyz - Kero - Alien
                  adj - Chiller - Marine
                  Wyz - Golem alien
                  you get the idea
                  that way there's no confusion.

Comment

That plan will never work.

I'd never pick Golem.
                    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Simple Solution - Eliminate the chatting.

Do I win?

Chewy: i was paraphrasomg
                      [19:01] Chewy: KAMER |
                      [19:01] Chewy: i love you | Drake_Anra : I only have a problem when Kamer talks... /// Chewy : That's very much a universal problem, Drake. :D

Comment

Ideally Darkzilla (...and Kamer), yes. But ideally the plugin that forces marine extra and announces uneven teams wouldn't be needed, either. There would also be world peace and flowers on everyone's grave and people would leave Brian Peppers alone. But.........

Comment

HairyNevus - I completely agree, but... Whois Darkzilla?

Comment

Holy crap I've been reading your name wrong this whole time! Actually, I read everyone's name wrong the first 4-18 times so I'm not surprised by my own stupidity. None of you should be, either.

Comment

Captains should have mics and say which team they want a player to join.
                              The alien fails because it cannot embrace the Emperor.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X