mp_autoconcede

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mp_autoconcede

I was disheartened today to see a game end by lack of players due to f4ing. Almost all people on the server had ?, but I'm not sure how many just hadn't signed the rules yet. Between map changing and team joining I don't feel I adequately voiced the rules.

I didn't think about it until I read a thread that mentioned this command, but I think our server has "mp_autoconcede" set to 4. (when one team outnumbers the other by 4 the game ends)

The thought occurs that this isn't necessarily helping the "don't f4" rule, if people can in fact end the game. I think it would be relatively easy to set it high enough that players would not end the round by f4ing. (I think it would still end if everyone left, but we need to have a little faith right?) You won't have more than nine people on a team (if the hltv thing is missing) and assuming one person on the other team, you would not have to set it higher than 9.

In theory this should never come up, but I don't think it would take more than a minute to adjust the setting. It won't really fix much, but might give people more time to explain the rules to those who f4ed.

I guess I'm saying there is no reason not to have it set higher.

Re: mp_autoconcede

If the teams are imbalanced by more than 4, do you really want the game continuing?

The F4ing is the issue, and the people who are bailing unnecessarily need to be held accountable. With the value set at 9, or 100, or whatever, it only allows for those people to ruin a game AND make the game continue -- lopsided -- in their absence.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Irish, F4ing aside I am going to use you as an example.

You are registered, have more then 10,000 points (and if you do not, PM me) and thus access the the "gb" command. These players do not belong here as they are, please please PLEASE help us remove them from the server.
      USAR

Comment

I would not remove anyone from the server without first explaining to them what they have done. I hope thats not what you are asking me to do (find someone else to do it if it is).

Yes it shouldn't happen but hopefully our community will continue to grow, and people who first arrive are quite frequently unaware of the rules. Hopefully they will join the community and read the rules. There is some downtime between first visiting a server and going to check out thier site, which you probably won't do if they kick you.

For me, I felt I didn't have enough time to type out a message to them. The map changes when the game ends, people join teams when the map changes (at least by the time I loaded it) and somewhere in there the message seems to be lost.

If you are going to say the game should end when the teams are unbalanced by 4, why not say the game should end when one side has a clear advantage over the other? Is it not our responsibility to balance the teams and end the game?

I personally would rather not give people who f4 the power to end the game. Whether or not it ever happens again, should it even be possible for them to do?

Comment

Listen, it isn't your responsibility to Admin the servers. However, a PM with names and steamIDs is something that would fix this, by removing the rule breakers. We have an SOP forum, we have rules on the wiki, we have rules that are broad casted on join. If they genuinely want to play on the server, then they should read the rules.

A public thread about F4ing doesn't fix the problem, removing and educating players does.
          USAR

Comment

I probably could find the time to hold tab, take a screencap, type status in the console and take a screencap of that as well. I personally would rather take the time to educate them, and my current plan is to attempt to beat the clock in doing so. If that needs to change, I might be able to adjust my behavior.

This thead is not supposed to be about f4ing so much. Whether it happens once every five years or five times a day seems irrelevent to me in this regard. There is a setting on the server. The posistive effects of changing it would be minimal at best, the negative effects would be even less. It's fairly insignificant, but also easy to change. Are you that opposed to the idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Pirate
              Are you that opposed to the idea?
              It doesn't fix anything.
              USAR

Comment

Well, if you want people to stop F4ing then add the plugin G4B2S has but then again, you won't be able to even out teams in the middle of a game.

Comment

Irish, if there are that many people are on the server who don't know the rules, and they're the caliber of player that F4s in the middle of gameplay, just how great is the game going to be anyway?

Kick 'em with 'gb'. They'll likely come back, and you'll have their attention, and you can explain what's going on.

I do not think mp_autoconcede should be changed.
                  Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Let me firstly say that you're not obligated to take any adminstrative action (e.g. gb), but that is an option available to you. Secondly, I don't think changing mp_autoconcede fixes anything.

Originally posted by Irish Pirate (boldface mine)
                    Almost all people on the server had ?, but I'm not sure how many just hadn't signed the rules yet.
                    If we're talking about people who are basically regulars and aware of the rules and community aspects of TGNS, then what we're talking about here is a social problem. Have the decency of waiting to the end of a game instead of f4ing or RAGE QUITting out of it and be a good sport. Let the other team get their victory fair and square. And for the winning team, don't drag out your victory unnecessarily- when it's over, end it.

As comm, I have often asked my team if it would be ok if I "accidentally" recycled the arms lab and forgot to beacon when the game was over. This hastens the endgame tremendously and still allows marines to shoot aliens to their heart's content. Also, sometimes the winning team doesn't realize how truly boned the losing team is and is still taking their time to cap nodes, secure hives, etc. At this point I usually just let them know that we've given up all hope and to please end it.

If we're talking about people who know the community and know the rules, in my mind this is a social problem and a matter of education. If we're talking about random people who don't know how things are done at TGNS, then it's a matter of administrative action. Of course, if it's the same regulars doing the F4ing over and over then this does become an administrative issue and as squeak suggested, PM the admins with the relevant info and we will look into it.
                    Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

I think we are too soft on guests who do this sort of thing. Nobody wants to kick them when they haven't yet been told the rule, but if you miss the opportunity then all you can do is give them a slap on the wrist afterwards and then maybe they'll do it again with the same results tomorrow, when no one even remembers that they've been warned. gb'ing someone is not going to ruin their day, especially when they're sitting in the readyroom anyway. Just kick them when they do it with an appropriate message(don't forget to use quotes).

Comment

Sure, there are exceptions, but I agree with Zek.
                        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Well zib, recycling isn't against the rules, it's your call as the commander. Potentially it could make some people upset, but thats about it.

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                          Irish, if there are that many people are on the server who don't know the rules, and they're the caliber of player that F4s in the middle of gameplay, just how great is the game going to be anyway?
                          I'm sorry, but I think thats a terrible attitude to have on the situation. Isn't it about having an opportinuty to teach some new people about our community? I don't think there is something inherently wrong with someone who f4s to end a game, they just haven't learned it's wrong yet. On many servers there are no rules against it where every other game ends that way. This may shound terrible, but it's just another way to end the game. If the end of the game was the only difference in the quality of gameplay, up to that point, and beyond that point (had the game continued and the teams been balanced) could have been just fine. It only takes 4 people, (3 if there is an extra player already on the other team), and they might just be misunderstood.

To address squeak and xmaddness, i'm not suggesting this as a way to stop people from f4ing. This will do nothing in the way of preventing people from f4ing, it will not make them think twice in and of itself, it serves only to give more TIME and to take a tiny bit of power away from them.

My first clue that something was happening was the screen fading to black. I did not have TIME to respond. There is no way I would have been able to identify and kick everyone who had done it before the map changed even if I wanted to or was able to (it was my first time on the server in a while, and I hadn't yet "signed" the rules).

I did not have the time to type the sentence "f4ing for any use other than team balance is agaisnt the rules" How could I have kicked them? I would not have been able to do it until after the map changed. I loaded slow, people were on teams, I don't ave a great memory of all the names. I would have had to take a screen cap before the people in the game were bumped to the ready room (so I could see who actually f4ed), minimized the game, examined the picture, and then kicked the people at what would have been a few minutes into the next game. Maybe it's what I should have done. In the future I will be able to do something like that because I have now signed the rules.

By not letting them end the game, it might provide enough time for people to realize what is going on and to do something about it. This is my argument to support changing the setting.

If you want, you can forget for a moment that I even mentioned it's actually happening. I'm not trying to complain about it, and I'm not asking for suggestions on how to handle it. I'm suggesting a small change that might help in the unlikely event people f4 and end a game. This isn't about me, it isn't about f4ing being a problem or not, it's about a small collection of 1s and 0s. The only reason it's set to 4 I reason, is that it's the default. I see to use in that setting being set to 4 other than to end the game when enough people f4.

Don't expect me to respond further on this topic, I think people are making alot more out of this than has to be made, and I don't see anything else particularly relevent to me being posted in this thread in the near future.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X