# of keys

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• # of keys

Well it seems that i can only have the ability of 2 keys at a time while playing. I dont know whats the problem because say i press ctrl., forward (w), and space everythign freezez up and nothing works.

well i would liek some helpful hints on this topic.

thx and c ya later

SYKE DESIGNS

Re: # of keys

computer specs as well as keyboard and maybe if you have drivers.

Comment

PS2 keyboard have a maximum number of keys they can read at once. Invest $10 in a usb keyboard and your problem should be solved.

Comment

ok it was my keybord....a brand new one at that -_- ..... so im abck to my old one, its all crusty lol

SYKE DESIGNS

Comment

oh yea, thx for the help guys

SYKE DESIGNS

Comment

Originally posted by nine hells
            PS2 keyboard have a maximum number of keys they can read at once. Invest $10 in a usb keyboard and your problem should be solved.
            While there may be some technical limit to simultaneous key presses on a PS2 keyboard, I'm pretty sure that limit isn't two.

Comment

Mine is three, though I sometimes can get away with more (don't ask me to explain how /that/ works).
              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                Mine is three, though I sometimes can get away with more (don't ask me to explain how /that/ works).
                Modifier keys (shift, alt, ctrl, etc) sometimes have different status than "normal" keys (alphanumeric). This is so that, if your keyboard has a "2 key limit" and you can't simultaneously press down all of "w" and "r" and "1" (unlikely in non-gaming situations), you can still hit ctrl-alt-del or ctrl-shift-f4, for example.

Also, it's not a PS2 vs USB issue, it's a keyboard internals issue. My old PS2 keyboard never used to give me a problem but when I bought a new USB one, I suddenly found that I could not move forward (w), use my jetpack (space), and crouch (ctrl) at the same time, which made it impossible to get into small vents with a jetpack.

My suspicion regarding newer keyboards that support less simultaneous keypresses is that it was a marketing decision. For most people, the 2 or 3-key limit is just fine, so they can save some money and sell cheaper keyboards that most people will be happy with. They can then separately market "gaming" keyboards with all sorts of lights and bells and whistles, not to mention the ability to press down more than 3 keys at once.
                Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

Originally posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_keyboard
                  Keyboards are less than ideal when many keys are to be pressed at once, as the limited circuitry means that only a certain number of keys will register at one time. An obvious example of this is phantom key blocking. On older keyboards, due to the circuit design, sometimes pressing three keys simultaneously results in a 4th keypress being registered. Modern keyboards prevent this from happening by blocking the 3rd key in certain key combinations, but while this prevents phantom input, it also means that when two keys are depressed simultaneously, many of the other keys on the keyboard will not respond until one of the two depressed keys is lifted. Better keyboards are designed so that this happens infrequently in office programs, but it remains a problem in games even on expensive keyboards, due to wildly different and/or configurable key/command layouts in different games.
                  Zibalatz is right - all keyboards suffer from the inability to press more than a few keys at once. More expensive keyboards are more likely to allow you to hit several keys at once, but no keyboard is perfect.

Comment

Getting a mouse with an extra button or two could help.

Comment

strange, I thought it was because of the buffer on a PS2 couldn't handle the 3 key push. I used to have that problem with my PS2. It was fixed when I bought a cheap USB keyboard. You don't need to spend a ton of money to duck, move forward, strafe, jump, and switch weapons all at the same time.

Comment

*Checks keyboard port*

I'm fairly sure I have a cheap PS2 keyboard, the one that came with my computer, and it almost never locks on me. The only time it locks (that comes up enough to care) is when I'm crouching, walking, strafing, building, AND using my map at the same time. (ctrl + e + m + w + a or d)

I've never had it lock on 3 keys, and it can often handle 4 keys at once without a problem. So its kinda random depending on your particular keyboard model and drivers, I guess--and maybe your keyboard config as well.

Comment

An intresting article on this
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_jamming

You might be able to use the newer keyboard if you spread the buttons around. As the article indicates that when you press keys togther it is more there compatably with each other then anything else. I guess this means that if you hit the t key you might be only able to press one more, but if you hit the w key you can press 3 more. With the limit being the smallest others, or a lock up if they can not be used toghter, maybe say p and z.

I have press down 8 keys at once and have them all work (ctrl,shift,caps,tab,e,d,c,space) this is moving left, at walking speed, well jumping and talking, and building, with the minimap and scoreboard up. but with a quick test my letter only allow 6 at the same time to be pressed and respond. And this is a cheap keboard from dell.
                          Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Keyboards don't have seperate circuits for every key. They have 'zones' which each have a maximum number of inputs from that zone. Depending on your keyboard, your mileage may vary.

My advice? If you want a keyboard for gaming, get a saitek. you'll have to spend about 60-70, but the keyboard feels so solid, and it's made for gaming purposes.

I haven't looked back. :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X