Skulk Walljump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skulk Walljump

Have you ever used the skulk's (relatively) newly added wall jump? Probably not.
    Why not though? Probably because it's basically useless in it's present state.

So here's the point of this post. I made a plugin a while ago that increases the skulk's walljump strength. It makes it so that the skulk can jump off walls at a speed that's somewhere between the standard jump and the leap.

So now I'm trying to gauge interest about this, and see if anyone might want to put it into trial on the TG server.

Right now it has only one flaw. That flaw being you can jump from wall to wall and move faster than if you're just on the ground... Kind of like vertical bunny hopping, but not really at all. I have ideas of how to fix this, but I'm not going to bother if it's never going to be actually used.

I also had the idea that maybe it could be implemented into the points system, and maybe for like 10 points or something you would have the ability while you're skulk for the rest of the map. (Cheap because it doesn't give a huge advantage, just makes the skulk's walljump actually useful.)

I have tested this plugin with two or three people on a server, and I believe there should be no problem with more.

So reply to this and tell me if you have any interest in this, or if you have ever used the skulk's wall jump before.
    remi.D

Re: Skulk Walljump

This is interesting to say the least, but I can assure you we will not implement any plugin before any "flaws" are removed. No guarantee, but I would lobby testing this for a map or two if you gave us something complete, as I think it's pretty damn cool.
    USAR

Comment

Two things I like about TGNS:

a) Classic NS gameplay is not modified with plugins, give very rare and niche exceptions.
      b) The points system does not affect Classic NS gameplay.

I wouldn't mind having this for Combat, flawed or not, as I don't give a damn about Combat. I don't see a home for it within TGNS' Classic gameplay mode.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by blu.knight
        Probably because it's basically useless in it's present state.
        I would disagree with that. Having the walljump is a lot better than not having the walljump, and the primary restriction on its use is not the jump speed, but the inability to combine it with the movement keys---if you try to jump while moving, you're likely to fall off the wall first and not be able to jump.

What I would be more interested in seeing is a plugin that allows you to still jump for a fraction of a second after leaving the wall. However, Wyz's disclaimer above is probably going to get in your way no matter what you do with it.

Comment

I'd disagree with having it optionally turned on for classic via points (small amount or not). For combat, sure, go for it (maybe fix the bug). If the bug gets fixed I wouldn't mind having it on always for classic, but I can offer no swaying opinion for those that do. So, that part is probably a "no".

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis
            Having the walljump is a lot better than not having the walljump
            I think if you implemented this, celerity leap skulks would end up being ridiculous. I guess theoretically that could be good, but at first glance I don't like the idea, simply because it would change the movement patterns of skulks so drastically.

Comment

Originally posted by Slayer of Hippies
              I think if you implemented this, celerity leap skulks would end up being ridiculous. I guess theoretically that could be good, but at first glance I don't like the idea, simply because it would change the movement patterns of skulks so drastically.

...Say what?

Honestly, I have no idea what you are talking about. Leap is better than jump anyway, so if you have leap, I don't see why you're using walljump at all.

Comment

Let me clarify that I would only like to see this played in combat...
                USAR

Comment

Originally posted by squeak
                  Let me clarify that I would only like to see this played in combat...
                  I would also like to see this.

Comment

I'd like to see it at least tried in combat, for NS I'm dubious about it's use at best.

As to the use of walljump I use it fairly often.
                    I use it to jump from wall to wall in corridors in order to confuse an opponent. I use it to fall from an ambush point quicker and at unusual angles (which can mean alot against some of those hardcore NS gamers). I use it because it was given to me and because no one else does.

To be honest (depending on how it works and how well) I'd love to play with it in all gamestyles. But I also don't want my vanilla NS taken from me. If it gets put on another server (if not this) then send me a message so I can give it a try,

Comment

The thing about that flaw is before I fix it I want to test it to see if people can actually use it effectively and if it really warrants change. (i mean to say if the "flaw" really matters enough to fix)

I have ideas of how I can disable it (make it so you have to be on a wall for a cerain amount of time before using the jump), but I don't know if it's actually neccessary to do so.

Also, if we don't test it on this server, depending on how good my internet connection is next year at college, I may put up my own server with this plugin running. So I'll let you know if this doesn't happen now.
                      Last edited by blu.knight; 06-09-2006, 02:34 PM.
                      remi.D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X