Storage space

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage space

I went and took a bunch of screencaps for a thread I was going to make and I realized "Hey, these pictures are 2.8mb each." I'm currently in the process of weeding out any pictures I don't really need.

I have space I could store them at for the time being anyway, but I'm concerned that TGNS will last longer than I will have this storage space.

I read something about some storage space when you are a supporting member (I'm praying I get this job for the summer so I can pay for it) but I don't know if that space expires along with the supporting membership.

I might be thinking too long term with this.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has tips for reducing the filesize. I would prefer not to lose too much quality, but I realize the pictures are screen sized and can probably be reduced without too many problems. Also if anyone has suggestions on storage I would appriciate it.

Re: Storage space

If you get the screenies down to a manageable size, www.photobucket.com does a pretty decent job of image hosting, as does www.flickr.com.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Please become an SM, but you can find free webhosting elsewhere. Yeah, you get what you pay for, but hosting a few pics online is hardly worth a monthly fee.

One of the many lists of free webhosts I found after a quick Google search:

http://www.free-webhosts.com/
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Don't forget imageshack.us

I use that one a lot since its pretty easy and can resize your pictures to common sizes for you.
        Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
        Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Thanks for all the help, I'll see what I can do.

Comment

www.filewire.com says it'll give you 250MB of free sotrage. Couldn't find the catch when I looked around.

Comment

SMs get their own image galleries, web space, blogs, cookies... ok maybe not cookies. You might look into finding 10 bucks to try it out for a month. :)
              USAR

Comment

I'll become as supporting member as soon as I get a job. I should know in a week if I will have a job this summer or not. Not to discourage any of you out there who don't have jobs and are considering becoming a SM. If you can find the money thats great and no one will ask questions about where you got it, we will only assume!

*cough*drugs*cough*

Anyway I got everything hosted and wrote the guide :p

Comment

just a thought.
                  Providing your running WINDOWS XP,
                  you can try using their power toys (a few neat gimmick's that microsoft poped out on the side.
                  I use a few of them (clear type advanced, alt-tab replacement, cmd-line here, and image resizer).

either way, check em out. That might help with your crazy image sizes
                  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

On a side note, remember that dropping an image in size means compression, which means removing pixals, which means worse image. You have to play with it a bit until you find the size/look that you want.
                  Ambriento for comm! Vote today!

Comment

I will definitely check it out. I think the pictures worked well enough but if people have trouble seeing them I can try something else. I used ArcSoft Photostudio and just reduced them to 1/4 the size.

Comment

You can lower the space by changing the format the pictures are saved by. An example is GIF vs JPEG. But by changing the format you lose some quality in the pictures. I know MSPaint saves everything as a bitmap images. So you could try loading the pictures in MSPaint, then use "Save As" to possibly lower the space the images take.

Comment

They were bmps, I did try changing them to jpegs, but I didn't like the lower quality. The pictures I loaded up are in the same format ns took them in, only 1/4 the size. You can see for yourself, but it looks decent enough to me.

If you were going to change the size and the file type, I would change the type first, shrinking a low quality picture can sometimes make it look higher quality.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X