Installing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing?

Ive heard alot about NS and so i figured that i would give it a shot. I searched google and downloaded version 3.0

I then went to install it past the initial download to my computer. It told me to stop steam, so i did. once i did that it told me i did not have a valid STEAM or half-life (WON). i dont know what a WON is or how i can get a valid one. Can any one assist me?

Re: Installing?

do you have half life 1 installed on the steam account?
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

You will need Valve Software's "Steam" service, and a copy of half-life I installed on your steam account to play this mod. You can buy a copy of half-life I off steam to run it once you have it installed and created a user account. You still might be able to find a copy of half-life I in stores somewhere maybe if you get a platinum pack or something, if their still selling that (the one that comes with half-life and all its expansions). Even then, it'd be a LOT easier just to buy half-life individually off steam for $9.99 (I'm thinking this is the price of it, pretty cheap), then it will be added to your steam account. If you already own half-life from a long time ago, you can use the cdkey in steam and it will download it for you.

You can download steam and create an account here for free. I really like steam and its easy to purchase games off of there and they all download from their content servers and your good to go. Pretty handy. Although if you need to buy half-life (one) you will need a credit or debit card to do so, as they don't take paypal (no real fraud protection) and of course no cash is accepted.

http://www.steampowered.com/

Natural Selection is a free mod based off the half-life (one) engine. So you will have to own it and have it downloaded on your steam account before installing the mod.

Version 3.1 is the latest client version of natural selection you will need:

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/ (download under v3.1 full install links)

Although there have been server-side fixes so that's what the 3.11,3.12 etc... releases are about. You don't need to download the server side patches, those are just for people who host servers.
      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

I have steam and i have the version of HL1 that came with my copy of HL2 it is called HL:source
        i will try installing 3.1...

Comment

HL:Source will not work with natural selection. This is actually half-life one, on the Source engine (just a quick port to the new engine to show that old mods can actually be ported over with a minimal amount of work, which really isn't true anyways). It is not compatable with NS. You will need the old half-life engine (the one from '98) for it to work.

Since you have steam here is the link to buy the original half-life on the old engine for $9.95:

http://storefront.steampowered.com/v...game&AppId=70&

EDIT: Just to clarify, the "Source" engine is the one that half-life 2 is built on. GoldSrc was the engine the original half-life ran on. Goldsrc was really nothing more than a heavily modified Quake I engine with a few lines of code from Quake II. That's right, quake I, the engine is pretty old but NS makes it look pretty good :P.
          Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
          Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...