Alien Res Management

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alien Res Management

Lately I've been somewhat frustrated with playing aliens because of the issue of res management. Somebody has to save for the hive, an early/mid-game Fade is often needed and 3 Ds need to be up for that Fade. On top of that all the nodes need to be placed and hopefully defended with OCs, all with an alien team of 5-7 people.

My question is, what do you guys think is a good strategy for early game res management? Handling all these necessities without central organization is a daunting task for aliens, especially with more pubbers on the team, and as most of you are probably aware I've started pestering people to save for a hive, 3 Ds and a Fade because I've gotten tired of games where nobody volunteers for these things and they never get done. That still leaves the issue of res and OCs, which is left to the other 2-4 players assuming they cooperate, and if marines take down these nodes aliens can be left in an extremely tight spot(as happened repeatedly earlier tonight).

So what do you all think? Is a dedicated Fade-hoarder necessary? What about early 3 Ds? Should gorges worry about OCs early game or depend on skulks until res flows more freely? How should aliens respond to hyper-aggressive marines that gang up on nodes before aliens can afford to defend or replace them? It seems like when aliens win in 3.0 it's more often because everything falls together by luck or marines aren't aggressive enough rather than an actual well-executed plan, and I'd like to develop a better idea of what to encourage people to do with their res early game.

Re: Alien Res Management

I've found that I was able to save a few games for aliens by taking my 50 res and dropping more RTs in late game to make up for the marines trashing on ours.

My usual course would always be to cap an RT, then head back to the hive and drop 3 DF. If everyone else did their job, I could have those D's up in no time. You run into the problem that some people on the alien team believe that dropping their one res node in the beginning makes it ok to blow 50 res on fade rather than say dropping the next hive or dropping upgrades or more RTs. This can kill the aliens late game.

Sure, if you or NothingMore (speaking of, where the heck has he been?) go fade, I'm not even going to argue with you. But if I say "going fade," you should probably tell me to better spend my res.

I personally feel it's a matter of communication. I continually try to ask what upgrade we need or if I should fade/lerk or drop more stuff as gorge. Sometimes I get an answer and sometimes it's "do what you want." This affects me more because there's only 2 lifeforms I'm really good at in 3.0, gorging and lerking (more the former). So while everyone's been out munching on marines, I've been kind of sheltered on the general scope of things. I need this info.

Comment

Personally I don't like to plan things too much ahead. Early on I would ideally like to see 3+ res nodes dropped. That alone keeps me happy. I enjoy planning things on the fly (ie checking res and getting things done as needed). Sometimes a hive is more important then a fade, and other times vice versa.

The res plugin is a godsend I think. In many situations I can nudge a pubbie in the right direction asking him to do one thing or another (especialy new players) rather then having him walk around aimlessly not doing anything with his res.

Basically communicating what you are about to do with your res is the best way to go about things I think. I don't mean start gestating and then say "i'm going onos" rather ask "Shall I onos or does something need to be done".

My biggest beef when playing aliens is people not protecting res nodes. They simply let marines attack them and single marines end up taking out nodes which could have been easily saved.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Speaking of res plugins, I think it would be really helpful if we had a plugin that gave your team's res node count instead of requiring minimap-scanning, but that's for another thread.

I think a lack of "scouting" is a lot of the problem with losing res nodes in 3.0. So many hives go down every day because there are no aliens in one half of the map and a marine just walks up and builds a phase. It's the exact same thing with res nodes. You can't always blame aliens for not saving a node from a single knifer, sometimes everybody's far away from it and the marine takes out a skulk or two on his own. And if he's with a friend or two in an easily defended area it's as good as gone. You can blame them for not seeing the marines in transit and warning the team though. That's why aliens really need to work harder on always keeping an eye on important areas of the map and parasiting marines whenever possible.

Comment

nothing more has been playing as 52 cards >_<
          and i have been playing as bananafish

and i have been playing like poop....

POOP i say....

in terms of alien res whoring, one good fade = teh win in pub games. don't like superstars? don't want dedicated fades? oh well, just oc whore the map and see if that works. or try to drop the hive yourself, someone else goes fade, dies in 3 seconds, you are frustrated because everyone's like "why don't you help the team out by doing something that doesn't involve going fade?" whereas you could've easily just won the game as a single fade =\

POOP again.

Comment

Zek, thats because no body builds any defense around the hive any more. I remember in 1.04 that it was almost impossible to get into a hive because there were usually 15 to 20 O-chambers near it.... granted thats when the O-chambers actually worked, but that also is for a different thread.

Comment

Originally posted by _Ender_
              Zek, thats because no body builds any defense around the hive any more. I remember in 1.04 that it was almost impossible to get into a hive because there were usually 15 to 20 O-chambers near it.... granted thats when the O-chambers actually worked, but that also is for a different thread.
              LOL you think they worked in 1.04? i've run through entire HALLWAYS filled with oc's without taking a single point of damage. no, oc's now do a lot better. their hp is just a little low, that's all

Comment

Originally posted by _Ender_
                Wtf? Are you drunk? Have you been drinking? Are you on any sort of medication? Is it doctor perscribed medication? Drugs perhaps? You could run in circles around a 1.04 OC and it wouldn't hit you once... not ONCE. that's why you needed 20+ of them, because if you didn't have that many, you wouldn't be able to kill anything. I could fly in cicrles around a hive with 10+ OC's and take minimal damage from them. This is the *most* missinformed quote i've ever seen.

Comment

I might be thinking of 2.0..

Comment

(Assuming 5-7 players)
                    At the start of every game there should be at least 3 res cappers and one hive saver. In 3.0 hives do win games.

I do not see any value in DCs before you have fades. As a skulk I never get cara/ regen. Does anyone else?

A fade saver CAN be very usefull but it depends. If the rines are not elecing don't waste your time. Just skulk. Fades are for taking down nodes, but its not worth risking the time and res battling large groups of rines. Don't forget that if you are only taking down one res when you have 2 hives, a gorge is better than a fade. It costs only 10, bile bomb is just as quick as swiping and you can cap the node afterwards.

OCs are a waste of res in the early game. You need 3OCs to even hinder 2 rines. If you have 7/10 nodes on the map, spam them all you want, but otherwise build hives or evolve. NEVER take down nodes with OCs unless your whole team really has no other option between them. One or two OCs at a hive are useful to give you an early warning of an attack but only AFTER you have tried to build a 2nd hive.

I think it would be really helpful if we had a plugin that gave your team's res node count instead of requiring minimap-scanning, but that's for another thread.
                    agreed
                    Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

In 1.04 you could afford to put crazy amounts of OCs to defend the hive because of the single-gorge system, and you were required to because OCs sucked so much. Now OCs are extremely effective in comparison, but gorges can only afford to sprinkle them around because unless aliens have majority map control, it's impossible to have the res for WoLs. Then again, if it were any easier then marines would just have to siege their way to every hive and where's the fun in that? My only issue with OCs is that most affordable OC walls can simply be jumped over by marines with a little med spam, which means their early warning function is completely defeated.

I guess, then, that the main issue aliens have is with protecting their nodes. On our size server(and usually not completely full, 5v5 or 6v6 instead) it is very difficult to cover the whole map with a couple of skulks and no res for OCs, especially on those occasional games where people are too willing to Gorge and you suddenly realize that there's only one skulk on the team while the marines are shotty rushing your hive.

As for Fades, I'd be curious to see a time comparison between Regen swiping(assuming no metabolize) and Bile Bomb. Fades can definitely come sooner than hive 2, but getting 3 Ds(40 res) before a Fade hoarder hits 50 res requires one more person saving from the start and their res could be spent elsewhere. I'm starting to get tired of being the early game Fade, so maybe I'll start Gorging or just stay skulk to parasite and guard nodes and tempgorge things occasionally.

I do like to know how people are spending their res, though; normally about a minute into the game I'll do a /res and ask people who haven't spent anything yet what they're doing. Often times to no avail. You guys with properly functioning mics should do the same so the nubs who don't realize that text on the screen might be important will respond :icon23:
                      Last edited by Zek; 03-01-2004, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X