Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

abbreviations for swearing? (feedback welcome)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• abbreviations for swearing? (feedback welcome)

Dose anyone think this is "going around the rules for flat out typing what WTF really is?

i feel bad for saying "Watch your language plz... then a reg/temp admin/admin says a abbreviation for wtf(not gonna type it out)...when some one said f**k

what is all of your views on this.

To me it seems Hypocritical/or just another bent rule?

tell me what ya think?

do you serve a purpose or do you purposely serve

Re: abbreviations for swearing? (feedback welcome)

I think it's an administrative issue, so an admin would be the best source of info.

Comment

Originally posted by Rampage
      I think it's an administrative issue, so an admin would be the best source of info.
      With the abbreviation, I tend to take two things into account: context and frequency.

The context (in this case) is the perceived tone of the utterance. If I think that it's being used to disrespect another player or his decisions, I'll drop the warning.

Frequency is also pretty key. Even without a disprespectful context, there are a number of words and phrases that just become idiotically immature when harped on constantly, and this is one of them.

It's a judgement call, to be sure, but making judgements like this is why we admins get paid the big bucks.
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
        It's a judgement call, to be sure, but making judgements like this is why we admins get paid the big bucks.
        Ah, good. The admins still think their check is in the mail...
        Username: Amagius, Farenyth
        AIM:RitaReplusa
        E-mail:[email protected]

Comment

I've wondered that one myself. I can't think of anything in popular use other than "wtf" that falls in this category. I can say that personally when I read it to myself I use the words instead of the letters. I don't think "doubleyou tea eff".

It sounds the same as swearing when I read it.

Comment

I guess all of us in this community needs to think about it as.....

when you say to someone watch the lingo..... watch your own, even abbreviations....I guess

Comment

Originally posted by Farenyth
              Ah, good. The admins still think their check is in the mail...
              You mean its not!? :(

Frequency is also pretty key. Even without a disprespectful context, there are a number of words and phrases that just become idiotically immature when harped on constantly, and this is one of them.
              Agreed. Nothing irritates me more when somebody (usually a first time player on TG) that goes "wtf" after every... other ... kill.
              Last edited by aeroripper; 06-16-2006, 09:02 PM. Reason: I r not good at spelin
              Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
              Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Wait you mean I'm not paid by the ban as a temp admin? Oh my, I quit!

Comment

Originally posted by Warmonger
                  Dose anyone think this is "going around the rules for flat out typing what WTF really is?

i feel bad for saying "Watch your language plz... then a reg/temp admin/admin says a abbreviation for wtf(not gonna type it out)...when some one said f**k

what is all of your views on this.

To me it seems Hypocritical/or just another bent rule?

tell me what ya think?
                  should be considered the same as the person saying the words themselves.

As Pokerface mentions its use in context. Personally, in context or not it should not be used regardless, I've seen this past week to many stfu's, and no1 was laughing or typing lol and such.

*To see a person with a TG icon(not that others are exception) next to his/her name using the abbreviations shows poor conduct on behalf of community.

*not exactly how I wanted to phrase it, but I hope it gets the idea across.

Comment

I only find WTF offensive when followed by BBQ.

This may be only my post ever. Choose your topic with care.

Oh, and WTP with the server?
                    Do you smell something burning?

Comment

Originally posted by Turbinator
                      Personally, in context or not it should not be used regardless, I've seen this past week to many stfu's, and no1 was laughing or typing lol and such.
                      Rare is the time when that abbreviation is not said with a large measure of disrespect, which is well outside our style of play.
                      [volun2]
                      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.

Comment

I don't consider wtf the same as saying them out loud. I put it in the same category as using fudge, frack, etc. As it stands, the most common use of it for me is when I'm berrating myself for something. Ie: htf did I not kill you. It's not being disrespectful to the other player, it's really a compliment (albeit a lefthanded one) because for whatever reason I expected to be able to kill them and didn't.

If it's really an issue, *** it out. If you're starting to read ***'s as swearing and it bothers you, then you need to mentally condition yourself to not do so. I've gotten to the point where I just skip them when I'm reading a sentance, and I don't mentally fill in the blanks. It takes a little practice, but now it's instantanious for me. An easier method would be to read ****'s as fudge/frack whatever. The only time I have problems with ***'s is when they're spammed.
                        a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                        Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                        Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                        Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                        Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder
                          I don't consider wtf the same as saying them out loud. I put it in the same category as using fudge, frack, etc. As it stands, the most common use of it for me is when I'm berrating myself for something. Ie: htf did I not kill you. It's not being disrespectful to the other player, it's really a compliment (albeit a lefthanded one) because for whatever reason I expected to be able to kill them and didn't.

If it's really an issue, *** it out. If you're starting to read ***'s as swearing and it bothers you, then you need to mentally condition yourself to not do so. I've gotten to the point where I just skip them when I'm reading a sentance, and I don't mentally fill in the blanks. It takes a little practice, but now it's instantanious for me. An easier method would be to read ****'s as fudge/frack whatever. The only time I have problems with ***'s is when they're spammed.
                          The trick to that is that tone still comes through. If I sniff disrespect, I'm going to be calling you on it.

Again, the issue with ***s, abbreviations, whatever, is less about the language for which they stand and more about how the statement is otherwise intended.
                          [volun2]

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
                            more about how the statement is otherwise intended.

*To see a person with a TG icon(not that others are exception) next to his/her name using the abbreviations shows poor conduct on behalf of community.
                            That about wraps it up in a nut shell.

the * part. if one dies and said wtf makes them look and appear to be a poor player may times i have seen this where it was not disrespectful. those are plain to see...normally followed by a somewhat funny comment. Yet, all others i wish not to see.

as a TG reg. there is a need (if your have a tg icon, or in name tag) to keep the abbreviations out if you say something like.... watch the language to another. that part bugs me a little bit..... a little hypocritical

good to see feedback like this and not having people vent!

Comment

I guess myself, I can't see the point of typing or saying something to the effect of WTF on the server. I swear a hole bunch in my room as I play, but I don't pass it on to the server for 2 reasons.

1) the server doesn't allow swearing

2) Swearing add's nothing helpful to the game being played.
                              Ambriento for comm! Vote today!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X