Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mic spam

Mic spam does equal communication.
    Last edited by snappy; 06-17-2006, 01:17 AM.

Re: Mic spam

Originally posted by snappy
    Mic spam does not equal communication.
    I agree, may I ask what caused you to post this?
    Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

You can ask players politely to cut down on the mic usage a little bit if it is overboard. If it is really starting to get under your skin, take a break for a while and PM and admin with your concerns. I recommend not staying on the server to the point where you're being outright disrespectful to another player, as that has no place here.
      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

I have a question along the same lines...

Well let me start out by saying that the mute player function in Half Life is broken. If I ever mute a player a few games later I will start seeing random muted people. There's got to have been some coding error there or something, I don't know, but as a result I make sure I never use mute.

That leaves me with two options that I know of. I can either turn off my speakers and forfeit a great thing**, or I can do voice_enable 0. Unfortunatly, voice_enable 0 seems to kick you off the server...

This is also especially a problem when TG is full and I get bumped over to the spectator server. I've been on it about 4 times now, and of those 4 times, people's voices only worked once. The other three times it was just heavily distorted noise.

(The only reason I actually know about the voice_enable 0 kickage is because I did that while on the spectator server and when I joined as someone else left it kicked me after a second with a message to that effect... I actually saw the message and changed it back before the kick, but it kicked me anyways.)
        remi.D

Comment

Originally posted by blu.knight
          I have a question along the same lines...

Well let me start out by saying that the mute player function in Half Life is broken. If I ever mute a player a few games later I will start seeing random muted people. There's got to have been some coding error there or something, I don't know, but as a result I make sure I never use mute.

That leaves me with two options that I know of. I can either turn off my speakers and forfeit a great thing**, or I can do voice_enable 0. Unfortunatly, voice_enable 0 seems to kick you off the server...

This is also especially a problem when TG is full and I get bumped over to the spectator server. I've been on it about 4 times now, and of those 4 times, people's voices only worked once. The other three times it was just heavily distorted noise.

(The only reason I actually know about the voice_enable 0 kickage is because I did that while on the spectator server and when I joined as someone else left it kicked me after a second with a message to that effect... I actually saw the message and changed it back before the kick, but it kicked me anyways.)
          Mic spam is an issue with the spammer. You should never mute a fellow player; if someone is doing something inane and immature, they should be removed. In fact, muting another player is reason enough for ejection from the server, as it hinders communication.
          [volun2]
          NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
          Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
          <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
          <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by blu.knight

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/natural...ate-games.html

Read the second post there to solve your spectating problem.

Granted, spectating still won't be as good as playing (hint hint SM reserved slot), but its a lot better when voices work properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
              Mic spam is an issue with the spammer. You should never mute a fellow player; if someone is doing something inane and immature, they should be removed. In fact, muting another player is reason enough for ejection from the server, as it hinders communication.
              Poker's right - if you have an issue with somebody to the point where you have to mute them, you should tell an admin. You should never turn off your speakers, also. Sound is required to play here.

As for the mute function, although I have nothing to back this up, I think it mutes by a range of IPs rather than by STEAM_ID. Don't use it here, and if you use it on other servers, make sure you check your scoreboard to see if you've accidently muted someone when you're on TG.

Comment

In some cases, I think the mute function helps communication as it allows others to be heard, and ocassionally seems to be a necessity on the TG server. In times past micspam was dealt with adequately by the admins making mute unneeded, but as of late it it seems to have grown unchecked.
                Rm 14:2 NIV
                One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempest
                  In some cases, I think the mute function helps communication as it allows others to be heard, and ocassionally seems to be a necessity on the TG server. In times past micspam was dealt with adequately by the admins making mute unneeded, but as of late it it seems to have grown unchecked.
                  Depends what your definition of mic spam is. Feel free to include (non-player specific) examples over generalities.
                  Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                  Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

In a given game, if I feel it's getting out of hand, I simply say "hey guys let's keep the mic chatter to a minimum" and that usually solves the problem. People are usually aware of what problem you're referring to as soon as you bring it up politely. If there is a particularly problematic user, that's a different issue and can be solved with admin intervention.
                    Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

Originally posted by snappy
                      Mic spam does equal communication.
                      On marine team it could be indeed an issue, with marines making,at times insisting on ideas they have in mind, not to mention upgrades.

However on alien team, where success of the team is dependant on a more individual effort(lifeforms vs commander's upgrades), seeing that some of the regulars not using their mic that they have is rather sad.

Myself, I do type at certain situations rather then use a mic, however in hectic combat text could simply be missed.

Comment

I, unfortunately do mute people on occasion.

The reason is some people completely cut out my sound with static when they talk. I can barely hear their voice, can't hear anyone else, and can't hear what's going on around me. However, if you suffer from this particular problem make sure you let everyone on your team know about it. It's the least you can do if you need to mute to be able to play. (and make sure you let them know WHY they are muted so they can take appropriate action)

Comment

This is simple. If you need someone to shut his hole, and you can't manage that by working with said someone, get an admin's help. The same is true no matter what the count of holes which need shutting.

Or mute people, breaking the rules of the server, selfishly declaring your personal need for instant gratification more important than your work with the admins becoming part of the solution for everyone else.
                          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

If someone was making a grating static noise during an intense part of the game, could one quickly mute the offender and then inform an admin, unmuting when the distraction is gone? This to me seems best for the team, since it may be more complex than a ban, e.a. the person is new to microphones, needs to change some default settings, and is accidentally holding the microphone key down, the explanation of which could take enough time to make a difference in the game.

Comment

My humble opinion? No, you don't go around changing a very simple rule (no muting) to cater to a very rare problem that doesn't occur within the reality around which the rule is built. Therefore, yes, you've violated the /letter/ of the rule by muting static dude.

But this is life. Sometimes the letter of the rule doesn't address reality, and so you're called upon to think rationally and manage accordingly, all while respecting its /spirit/ and remaining prepared to accept responsibility for making that judgment to the dissatisfaction of those who uphold and enforce both.

I don't mute people that throw static on the line. I work to get rid of it (ideally without getting rid of /them/, but they're expendable if necessary), as my entire game's shot until the noise is gone, and me personally removing that noise from my audio isn't solving the big problem.
                              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X