Reserved slots kicking the comm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reserved slots kicking the comm

Is it possible to make it more difficult to kick a commander (and possible a captain?) due to reserved slots? I just played a captains game where first our commander and then I were kicked. I understand that it's important that SMs be able to join at any time, but could the commander and possibly the captains be moved to the last of the list of people to kick?

Re: Reserved slots kicking the comm

I honestly think the commander is the one one that we would need to worry about. I remember an old server I use to play on had a plugin where the commander wouldn't get kicked while in the chair and it was pretty handy.

The comm would have to be put at the very bottom of the list to be kicked as res slots joined if that's possible.

I don't think we need to worry about captains getting kicked, because then you could try to extend it to important alien lifeforms which gets overly complicated.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

*Agrees with Aero*

Comment

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/natural...ved-slots.html
        http://www.tacticalgamer.com/natural...cked-room.html

So, we've done this before, twice now. I'm not against making the change (of putting the comm at or near the bottom of the kick list, maybe), but I'm going to need a bit more to break me out of the inertia we've got going on.

Let's try this: someone argue FOR comms getting kicked in normal order, without mentioning our years of precedent (which IS still a rather potent argument for keeping the normal order, but it's obvious since I used it in this post :) ).
        [volun2]
        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

The only reason I can see not to change this is to keep the res slot system fair for everyone (a good reason). That being said, the comm is the most important player on the marine team in determing the outcome of a game.

Comment

The argument for keeping it is simple. Why allow the commander to be exempt (or mostly) from slotkicks when nobody on the alien side gets the same privelege? Say you have an alien with 48 res, egging to gorge and drop a hive and BOOM! He gets slotkicked. No hive. Yeah, yeah, the res gets distributed, but that doesnt help if nobody else is close enough in res to go do the job for him. So making the commander exempt from slotkick should also make anyone with enough res to drop a hive (45+ res if youre a non gorge or 40 res if you are a gorge) exempt for the same reason.
            However, as simple as this is, you have to understand, it aint gonna happen. The rule is set the way it is for a reason. It's a slippery slope, a catch 22. If you allow the comm to be exempt, you have to let aliens have something too. If you dont, everyone complains a bit now and then when it happens, but thats a whole lot better than what could happen otherwise.
            So bottom line, ladies and gents, is that it should just stick around. Sure, the comm is important, but so is a fade, or a hive gorge, or an onos, all of which took a lot longer than just jumping in the CC at round start. So lets just keep it the way it is and keep us all happy.
            As an addendum, I'm not trying to tell the admin staff or the regulars or the slotters what to do, but as someone who's been a part of many clans and owned a lot of servers myself, i'm asking for the common sense vote. If you want to join a game thats full on the server, look at the scores BEFORE you join. If the scores are at 0, by all means, slotkick someone. If you see someone with a score of 15 or 20, be aware that you slotkicking someone could completely jack up a classic game (and possibly have your entire team mad at you for kicking the comm, or the onos, or the prizewinning-uber-fade-of-d00m). If you see theres a game going on, go to HLTV and watch for a few until the game ends, then slot someone...after all, thats what us non-RS people have to do when its full. But its also courtesy.
            Easiest solution to the problem is to respect the mandate of teamwork that serves as a basis for the server, e.g. let the team do their work without risking the game on your own reasons.
            :)

Comment

This is always your best bet if you don't want to get kicked. :)
              Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Nice to see you participating in the NS forum, Apophis. We could use your help in this thread, too.

I've been the grunt on the ground. I've been the alien. I've been the commander. Yes, this game is competitive, but the server is hosted by a community, and, for most of our regulars, the game is first social, even if competitive runs a close second. Given that larger picture, I don't care to give special treatment to the commander, for a few reasons:

a) the Commander is just another player socially
                b) it detracts from what must be a subtle and constant reminder of the reality which is the server becoming unavailable without its regulars supporting it monetarily

The second reason might be hard to accept, given the frequency with which automated concessions are given to those who do not send us cash, and I guess it's up to the leadership to determine where that line is drawn. Frankly, I like very much exactly where it's drawn today, and I think the balance is largely responsible for TGNS being far and away the most enduring title TG has ever hosted, paying for our own expenses and then some, no less.
                Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Would it be possible to make slotkicks for commanders delay say... ten - twenty seconds to recognize the situation and get another marine to take over? The only drawback I see (besides the trouble it would be to code), would be people whining about the fact they are about to get kicked.
                  Rm 14:2 NIV
                  One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.

Comment

I've tried to delay inevitable bumps in the past, for other reasons, and found it impractical. We had this issue with PCS, too: anytime you've got people joining in less time than it takes the server to determine who is and who isn't getting bumped, problems ensue.

If it's helpful, I can code some sort of obnoxious sound or on-screen alert to the marines whenever the commander gets bumped.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Forgive me if this idea is retarded as I am not familiar with the limitations of slotkicking script. Could the player slotkick a placeholder bot which rejoins ten seconds later slotkicking the comm?
                      One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.

Comment

What happens with the joining player during that time?

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                          What happens with the joining player during that time?
                          It should be transparent to them as they would slotkick a bot. Also, since it's a full server they would join marines ensuring proper team balance when the commander is kicked (assuming no one is in the ready room).

Comment

How often is this really a problem anyways? It's been a long time since I've actually seen a comm slot kicked outside of last night.
                            Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                            Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

I'm confused. Lay it out again, one step at a time.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X