New Voice Codec

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Voice Codec

Tell the admins what you like or dont like.

Re: New Voice Codec

I like it....

Comment

thumbs up.

Comment

What's not to like?

Comment

Originally posted by Emanon
          Tell the admins what you like or dont like.
          I missed something... what are we talking about? Where is the codec?
          --
          CaveDog
          "Go sell crazy somewhere else... we're all stocked up here."

Comment

Turns out Ema discovered a setting (disabled by default) with STEAM HLDS that allows HLDS to use the Speex codec (ala Teamspeak/Ventrilo) for voicecomm instead of the default MILES codec. It vastly improved the quality, stability, and overall reliability of HL voicecomm. It doesn't sound half as good as Ventrilo, but it sounds twice as good as HL voicecomm has ever sounded.

I'm eager to hear Tempus now that we've switched codecs on the server.

Wyzcrak
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Martin Otten did most of the work to get Speex up and running for our games
              about a month ago, and we just recently released it to the Steam beta.

So far it appears to be working pretty well, and we're interested in doing
              more work using Speex going forward.

I'd love to hear any feedback that people have using it, especially at the
              different quality settings. The information on how it works in the
              Half-Life/Counter-Strike environment is here for people that are interested:

The codec that a client uses is determined by the server, so use this
              command on your server to switch over to using the new one:

sv_voicecodec voice_speex

And then these commands to change between different quality voice streams
              (also on the server):

sv_voicequality 1 : 2400bps, lowest quality
              sv_voicequality 2 : 6000bps
              sv_voicequality 3 : 8000bps
              sv_voicequality 4 : 11200bps
              sv_voicequality 5 : 15200bps, highest quality

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement