How moddable is NS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How moddable is NS?

It seems like there are tons of mods of mods for the like of CS, why can't we do the same for NS? I know you can make plugins, such as NSarmslab doing the med-armory first and some servers running silly things like self-weld.

However, I'm wondering if core number values can be changed? IE: Hive buid time, weapon properties, research dependences, lifeform hp/armor, etc.

Could this stuff be done server side?

Re: How moddable is NS?

Some of it can be done, but not gracefully. Some of it can't be done.

What did you have in mind, specifically?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Actually, I think a lot of those values are stored in a simple text file on the server. If the server host changed the text file, that would probably change the gameplay values, although I've never tested it myself to find out.

Comment

I believe that you are thinking of Balance.txt, which contains many such values, but IIRC, sometime during 2.X all of that was internalized, and the file was left just for people to look at. I don't know if those values are editable through some other means, but if I remember right, you can't through the file anymore.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Piggy
          I believe that you are thinking of Balance.txt, which contains many such values, ...but if I remember right, you can't through the file anymore.
          This is correct. The file plays no role in the operation of the game.

This is something that I was interested in trying a while back. On other forums, the idea was brought up to change values for build / res / gestation / health to change the pace of the game.

Anything is possible, it's just a matter of getting the right people to work on it.

If anyone want's to take the initiative to lead the development of a big mod, I'd be glad to help in any way I can.
          birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

One mod I personally have always been thinking about is one to extend combat.

Basically, just decrease the speed at which you level (probably be decreasing the amount of exp you get for kills).

That way you get more practice shooting skulks, which would be great. Plus, I have the most fun in combat with skulks while I'm marine, and so it just seems like it would also be good. I dunno, seems like it could be fun.
            remi.D

Comment

Do you remember Territories, the co_ mod? (Sorry, I can't find a link) That is what I imagine to be the upper limit on what you can mod in NS.

Comment

NSarmslab is garbage! NSarmslab is garbage! NSarmslab is garbage! NSarmslab is garbage!NSarmslab is garbage! NSarmslab is garbage! NSarmslab is garbage! NSarmslab is garbage!

well not to bad i guess but.....omg NSarmslab is garbage! lol mostly the people on the server and most admins do not do much to stop them. maybe this server spoils me. (the people and the fun)

i did like the time i played A vs A and sometimes I play M vS M as for mods?..... not much more they can do here. more would spoil the game/ruin it. want it modded?..... get new models! lol i use the Alien/predator mod pack i like it adds a new look to an old game!

sorry for the Spam... they use plugin's slash aka mods that the server can't handle they vote for it and the server resets or something....

do you serve a purpose or do you purposely serve

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X