NS site update 6\20

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS site update 6\20

[June 20th, 2006 ] :: New game revealed! (Flayra)

Zen of Sudoku screenshot After my last post, I wasn't sure about the response I'd get. I think I got one slightly negative e-mail and I got many warm words of support! People offering to donate, help with programming and tons of people that were supportive of the new casual game in order to pay the bills. Wow!

It's because of the support of this great community that I thought it appropriate to let you know about the new game. It was created mostly by Cory "Squeal Like a Pig" Strader and myself, with help from David John and Scott Haraldsen, all of which have helped out with NS. I'm sure you will recognize Cory's wonderful and distinctive art-style as that which you see all throughout the models and level textures in NS. The game is called the Zen of Sudoku and is available now (as of 2 hours ago!) as a trial download and full purchase for $12.95.

If you're interested in directly supporting NS and Unknown Worlds, I know of no better way than to try and buy this game, and especially, to spread the word about it. Tell your friends. Post on forums. Tell your parents and their friends (they'll love it, seriously). There's even an in-game "Tell a Friend" feature! We keep the vast majority of the funds on each sale, and are attempting to stay off the big icky portals to do so. If this game does well, we will surely be able to begin real work on Natural Selection: Source. Hopefully that's incentive enough. :)

Finally, if you're interested in reading more about how and why the game was made, check here. Thanks again for the wonderful support everyone, you're truly the best.
    http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Re: NS site update 6\20

lol this can't be the game he spoke of beore?..........sad

do you serve a purpose or do you purposely serve

Comment

Yeah, this is rather sad. I kind of hope he makes next to nothing for this. It's been done before, it's just stupid.

It just looks like the program I downloaded a while ago "Simple Sudoku" it fills in the possibilities of each square so you can deal more with the logic than the grunt work.

This is just stupid, I mean I basically made this same thing during my CS class last year. (Freshman year of college)

Edit: Just tried it... Here's the following post:

Scratch what I just said. It's even worse than 'Simple Sudoku'.

I seriously hope he makes absolutely nothing from this. It's stupid and an abuse of his fan base. Not only that, but he just doesn't deserve anything for this.

Pisses me off, if you couldn't tell.

Edit2:
      This is still pissing me off... If he went away for that long without the website being fixed, and without any work on NS or NS:Source, how crappy of a programmer must he be?

I mean this game is such a simple thing to make, how the hell could you require that much time!?

Edit3:
      By the way, when I said I did this in my CS class, I didn't mention I did this AT THE START OF THE CLASS.
      Before they actually told us how to do anything, before they actually fully explained the assignment.
      Later we were given it as a full assignment, but I did it at the begining of the class for fun in a night or two.

Must go kill some aliens or munch on some marines to relieve anger. >.<
      Last edited by blu.knight; 06-20-2006, 08:32 PM.
      remi.D

Comment

Well Sudoku does seem to be increasing in popularity, around my campus anyway. I always thought the fun of something like that was figuring out the logic and creating rules for yourself. Like minesweeper or something, it's more the learning how to do it than actually doing it that is engauging. I would not want to be taught how to do it.

Comment

Every argument needs a counter, so I will be on the side of Charlie Cleveland.

This is still pissing me off... If he went away for that long without the website being fixed, and without any work on NS or NS:Source, how crappy of a programmer must he be?
          I don't follow how being away for that long makes him a crappy programmer, nor do I follow as to how you were able to mysteriously find out how much work has been done on the site and/or game.

I mean this game is such a simple thing to make, how the hell could you require that much time!?
          The first time we hear of Zen of Sudoku is around the 6/8 mark, so I don't see how you can tell that he's been working that long of a time.

I want NS. I want NS Source. I don't mind whoring myself out to Charlie to get it. (*cowers in fear of veterans attacking me*)

EDIT: I just did. To everyone in my mailing list. :|

Originally posted by Farenyth's horrible e-mail
          From the creator of Natural Selection, a very popular modification for Half-Life, comes Zen of Sudoku. I'm sure most of you are aware of what Sudoku is, but if not, go to Wikipedia!

Sudoku ( 数独, sūdoku ?), also known as Number Place, is a logic-based placement puzzle. The aim of the puzzle is to enter a numerical digit from 1 through 9 in each cell of a 99 grid made up of 33 subgrids (called "regions"), starting with various digits given in some cells (the "givens"); each row, column, and region must contain only one instance of each numeral.

Charlie Cleveland's game allows beginners to enter the game with a great tutorial and calming graphics; the first time I attempt a regular Sudoku puzzle, I could not figure how to work the thing. A bunch of features makes Sudoku less stressful with number marking, dupe checks, and such (though you can turn it off).

Now, do the point, as Charlie brainwashed me into getting people -- if you click the hyperlink at the beginning of the e-mail, you can download a free trial of the game, and if you do enjoy it, you can purchase it for $12.95. So, try a game of Sudoku if you want, and if you play regularly... well, then you have randomly generated Sudoku puzzles at your leisure. Thanks!
          Username: Amagius, Farenyth
          AIM:RitaReplusa
          E-mail:[email protected]

Comment

I've heard about Sudoku from the mainstream media several times in the last few months. It has gained international appeal. I'm not so quick to criticize a product that, at the very least, has the potential to sell to an international audience having required a comparatively trivial commitment of resources to create and maintain.
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I say more power to him, if it means NS:S will get here sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by Farenyth
                Every argument needs a counter, so I will be on the side of Charlie Cleveland.
                Admirable point, I shall respect it and respond in turn. :D

I don't follow how being away for that long makes him a crappy programmer, nor do I follow as to how you were able to mysteriously find out how much work has been done on the site and/or game.

The first time we hear of Zen of Sudoku is around the 6/8 mark, so I don't see how you can tell that he's been working that long of a time.
                You have some good points.
                I got the impression that he had been working on it all this time by his update, though I don't think there were any words in it that actually indicated so, but that's just the feeling I got.

My real problem with it is not the time he has spent on it, that has just come about because I don't like the game he did in general.

I don't feel that somebody should be paid for creating another stupid little game like this and overcharging. You can play this game on paper this on paper, you can play it already on many free programs, some of which do it better. I don't see how he can possibly get away with selling it for 12$.

I want NS. I want NS Source. I don't mind whoring myself out to Charlie to get it.
                If he makes enough to pay rent with this, I'm going to be pissed because it's just not right, and because I didn't think of it first. I suppose if he ever actually gets NS:Source out, or more updates to NS, or even the NS forums up I could forgive him, but with no progress being seen...

I just don't like preying off people's stupidity. Selling them Sudoku for 12$ qualifies as that in my mind.

Disclaimer: It's way too late (at night) right now, and so I don't know how muich sense I'm making. I'm also trying to split my attention with a game on the server.
                remi.D

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                  I've heard about Sudoku from the mainstream media several times in the last few months. It has gained international appeal. I'm not so quick to criticize a product that, at the very least, has the potential to sell to an international audience having required a comparatively trivial commitment of resources to create and maintain.
                  See that's just what annoys me. Almost no work, and something that really doesn't have very much value as a game. I don't like that.

And chances are it will make him some money, if only from the fans who just want to support him more.
                  remi.D

Comment

Interesting read about monetary gain and casual games:

http://www.igda.org/wiki/index.php/C...usiness_Models

Comment

My question is why in the world someone would spend money on a Sudoku game when there are a million free versions available online- not to mention tons of Sudoku books at a much lower price.

The only way to compete is to have a game that is outstanding in some way. It has to beat the other offerings either in terms of the quality and/or quantity of the puzzles, a great interface, personality/story/cuteness factor, special gameplay variants, prior successful track record of the developers, and/or tons of marketing muscle in order to really stand out and be successful. Seeing as I have not tried the product (nor have I tried its competitors) I have no idea how it fares in these areas. Certainly it sounds like they won't have a ton of marketing muscle and it is unclear how their prior track record factors into things- the track record could be either a plus or minus depending on how you see it.

The other problem with the product is that it taps into a "fad" market interest and I feel like the fad has already hit its peak popularity.

Personally, I would have much rather seen the effort put into developing this game put into getting the NS Constellation donations back online, and then the website/forums. Seeing as this Sudoku game is clearly a commercial endeavour, NS Constellation donations would have gotten commercial side of things rolling again, as well as restored the public face of NS, as well as moved consistently in the direction of NS-related products. The only exception would be if they were paid to develop this game but, seeing as the Sudoku website lists Unknown Worlds as the company behind the game, and no publisher is mentioned, I'm thinking they did not.
                      Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

blu, you may have learned how to write software in school, but you (and I, likely) have a lot to learn about marketing.

If this thing doesn't meet a very real NEED that people have, it won't sell. You don't buy toilet paper because of the packaging. You buy it because you need it. You don't buy a walker, no matter how excited your grandmother is about it. Why? You don't need it.

Let go your angst, already. If the guy has a great idea, a way to make money (read: provide value to money-carrying consumers) without much effort, more power to him! It's one of the things that makes this country great!

Maybe he won't sell 100 copies, and maybe you think he's taking a shortcut. I dunno... I just know that... when I stick my neck out, even if it's just a little bit, I hope I have more reaction in the background that sounds like mine than that sounds like yours.
                        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

He did have a good idea for a way to make money, but as somebody that is striving to make games and be a game designer and all, I have trouble respecting what the game actually is.

I would have a much better reaction if he actually 'stuck his neck out' for a more innovative idea or something.

This is just silly. I'm not going to support someone who makes another one of those puzzle clones, nor am I going to support someone who makes another sudoku program.

I just don't think they are good games at all.
                          remi.D

Comment

Originally posted by blu.knight
                            He did have a good idea for a way to make money, but as somebody that is striving to make games and be a game designer and all, I have trouble respecting what the game actually is.

I would have a much better reaction if he actually 'stuck his neck out' for a more innovative idea or something.

This is just silly. I'm not going to support someone who makes another one of those puzzle clones, nor am I going to support someone who makes another sudoku program.

I just don't think they are good games at all.
                            You, the hardcore (or niche') gamer says. Understandably enough.

But this isn't the audience for games like these. It's for grandma's and moms and people who really only play internet games while their in school\work or on their home computer.

I am still wondering how a game like this would ever reach enough appeal to generate enough money to fund NS:S. Of course online casual games are not my forte'.

There has to be a thousand varients of games like this out there. How will this one get noticed more than those?

Comment

I don't think it is intended to fund NS:S. I think it is merely intended to help with the rent.

You hit it on the nose, it's intended for a different crowd. It's a crowd I don't like to believe exists. :D
                              remi.D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X