CD Optional

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD Optional

So we've been able to try CD on full optional today, and the final conclusion is pretty apparent; it's exactly like the early days of 3.0 beta when we didn't have CD on at all. The majority of the players are just pubbers and certainly don't fit in very well in a teamwork-oriented environment. TG doesn't have the benefit of reputation that gives some servers a more intelligent no-CD populace. While I think CD-optional is better than not at all just because of the reserve slots, it's not much of an improvement. I'm not sure why, but it seems like the admin-caused Optional CD rarely resulted in such an unpleasant collection of players.

So the question is, what are we going to do about it? If we're going to leave CD as optional, we are without a doubt going to need more admins. Generally it just isn't fun playing with the No-CD crowd without an admin to keep them in line. The only way to give this server a good reputation and hopefully attract more regs is to aggressively administrate it to keep out the idiots and keep in the good players.

On the other hand we could go back to CD-Req when an admin isn't on, like we were doing before. The only issue with that is obviously the extreme difficulty in starting a game when an admin isn't around to, well, disable CD... We need a better way to encourage players to get CD. What if we set CD to optional, but had a plugin that prevents No-CDs from leaving the readyroom and puts large text on their screen telling them how to get it? I don't know how well this would work, but at least people would understand why they can't play instead of just being kicked.

One more thing... Why are there still so many regulars here not using CD? Come on guys, set a good example. If you forget, just rejoin with it on before you get involved in anything.

Re: CD Optional

I plan to comment in this thread, but I'm brainstorming.

Wyzcrak
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

i agree, CD should be mandatory for ALL paid and reserved slot members.

*HINT HINT

whenever you play on the server, if you see a pink icon next to your name, that means you better have CD on.

Comment

It would be nice, but the fact is sometimes CD doesnt work with some drivers. There was a while there that I couldnt run CD because it didnt support the latest nvidia drivers.

The problem doesnt stem from regs who dont have CD, although it wouldnt hurt if they turned it on.

Comment

IMHO straight CD-req is not a good idea. It is hard enough to get a game of classic as it is. You are right that we need to change something, especially with FF on at the moment. I can't believe I had to kick someone yesterday for chomping the hive.
          Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

Originally posted by Wintermute
            IMHO straight CD-req is not a good idea. It is hard enough to get a game of classic as it is. You are right that we need to change something, especially with FF on at the moment. I can't believe I had to kick someone yesterday for chomping the hive.
            While we're on that, what happened to that helpful message right after starting that we'd see before the latest Steam upgrade? It would display our rules for getting along, tell you that you ought to get CD, etc. It was up for about a week.

Comment

Several plugins were disabled when we experienced global performance problems on the server. Turns out all of TG's services experienced problems last week due to AC problems. The plugins are slowly being re-enabled, one at a time, to make sure the server stays stable.

Wyzcrak

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                I plan to comment in this thread, but I'm brainstorming.

Wyzcrak
                Don't worry guys, it will only be a short drizzle, no reason to get out your umbrella, even... :icon_razz
                --
                CaveDog
                "Go sell crazy somewhere else... we're all stocked up here."

Comment

Thanks Cave. I was beginning to wonder where I put my golf umbrella. :icon16:
                  I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                    Several plugins were disabled when we experienced global performance problems on the server. Turns out all of TG's services experienced problems last week due to AC problems. The plugins are slowly being re-enabled, one at a time, to make sure the server stays stable.

Wyzcrak
                    AC the thing that keeps rooms cold?
                    Or AC the method of delivering power across vast distances?
                    [volun2]
                    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
                      the thing that keeps rooms cold
                      :)

Wyzcrak

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X