ns hanging at startup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ns hanging at startup

NS and HL are both hanging at the startup screen, the resolution switches to 640x480 and the cpu usage goes to 100%. Initially theres some hard drive activity and then nothing. you can still see the task bar at the bottom of the screen. I am running an athlon 64 3200 with a msi radeon x800xt. i have a gig of ram. all my drivers are updated (direct x, video, mobo). Any ideas as to how i can remedy this?
    |TG-Irr|Inferno

"You are what you do when it counts"

Re: ns hanging at startup

Try running in windowed mode. Not a solution to your problem, but you may be able to play till you get it reolved :P. (-windowed in shortcut target box).

Edit: Is this s rescent occurence, no problem running the games in the past? Have you updated any drivers lately?

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

I actually just installed it on this computer. So I don't have any historical data on this game, although no other game has caused this problem.
      |TG-Irr|Inferno

Comment

Do you have software or hardware rendering (option within the game)? Does switching from one to the other at least get you in? Note that's not a fix, just a troubleshooting step.

Comment

Do you have IE7 installed? If so, you might try uninstalling it. It has helped others with similar problems.

Comment

I don't have ie7 installed (using firefox), but I'll try running in a window. That will probably work out for now until I can figure out what is going on.
            |TG-Irr|Inferno

Comment

i'd say check your in-game video options to see if you're running openGL.

Comment

anyone know the launch commands so i can get ns running in a window at startup? I can't make any changes because it hangs right at the startup screen.
                |TG-Irr|Inferno

Comment

I've determined that I can launch if i start with the -nosound command. The thing is I ran this game just a couple of weeks before with no problems and I can't think of anything I have done in the interim that would have changed anything, so I am still stuck.
                  |TG-Irr|Inferno

Comment

If this reply isn't too late and you haven't yet fixed it, here's some things to look at:

Originally posted by inferno493
                    the resolution switches to 640x480 and
                    One thing to look at might be the .exe in your hl folder (\SteamApps\[email protected]\half-life). Under the Compatibility tab in the Properties inspector, make sure "Run in 640x480 screen resolution" is unchecked along with the rest of those optional compatibility settings (look also at "Run this program in compatibiliy mode for:").

anyone know the launch commands so i can get ns running in a window
                    If under the Games tab in Steam you right click on ns and choose to place an icon on your desktop, you can then right click on that shortcut, open the properties inspector, and at the end of the target add " -windowed" so the whole target looks something like:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 70 -game "ns" -windowed

Hope this helps.
                    Adren[c9] ::

-Proxx (C9H13NO3)
                    Proximity Technologies

Comment

I finally got it working. turns out it had something to do with the sound drivers. I reinstalled them and everything works fine now. thanks for all the help though
                      |TG-Irr|Inferno

Comment

I've determined that I can launch if i start with the -nosound command. The thing is I ran this game just a couple of weeks before with no problems and I can't think of anything I have done in the interim that would have changed anything, so I am still stuck.
                        If the game runs with -nosound, you can try lowering the sound acceleration in directx.
                        Start->Run->dxdiag

In the "Sound" tab should be a hardware acceleration slider, try lowering it a notch or two. If it turns our to be a sound problem look into sound drivers. This has been an issue for me in the past, worth a try to perhaps narrow it down to a sound problem.

EDIT: good to hear the above post :D :D :D. A little too late with my reply, good to hear.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X