Demoralizing a Team

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demoralizing a Team

I just wanted to make a post to alert everyone to this.

Asking marines why they can't kill skulks, or saying things like "come on guys" in an agravated tone demoralizes your team further. They are already getting demoralized by all the dying they are doing, or the fact that they can't seem to accomplish what you want. Telling them that you are dissapointed does nothing to help you.

So just take this as a word of advice, it sucks the fun out of the game and makes me not want to play. It also sets your loss further in stone.

I realize it can get aggravating and annoying to watch a team fail repeatedly at one thing, but you must put on a good face and keep pressing on trying to keep your team with high morale. Only with high morale can you turn a game back around.
    remi.D

Re: Demoralizing a Team

I agree completely. Feel free to send a friendly PM out to the specific comm that has this issue. It's all constructive criticism and will help them to become a better comm. Or at least let them know that they are doing it, even unintentionally. I think there's a difference between being adjitated with your marines performance and outright telling them they can't kill anything.

Morale is a HUGE factor in games, its best if you do not show your frustration and don't let them know they are all going to die :P.

Don't get me wrong, if a comm is being outright abusive of the players, PM an admin with your concerns.
    Last edited by aeroripper; 06-25-2006, 02:35 AM.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

blu's got a point. I've been trying to work on that recently.

Also, when you're shooting things, do please kill some or all of them, as your commander can really get demoralized if he's left with bullet decals on walls and a bunch of dead marines.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I don't believe any marines ever try NOT to kill things. :P

When I encounter a group of skulks I try to focus on one just so I can kill at least one of them to help out my team, but I can't always kill them.

A lot of commanders don't realize that the morale of the team is just as important as getting armor 1 before the 8 minute mark. :D
        Last edited by blu.knight; 06-25-2006, 11:45 AM.
        remi.D

Comment

the same goes for a commander or someone trying to lead the alien team though.
          F.Ex: About a week ago, I was playing on the server with a whole team full of ? icon people. Now even though they're new to the server, i still kinda expect they know how to play. Well, after a successful initial rush to RT's and dropping chambers, we had a second hive going up, 2 fades and good res flow. This is where it went downhill.
          I was gorge in the second hive dropping an MC and a rine came in and waxed me...no big deal, until i run outside CC as a skulk and see a siege being set up. I had plenty of res, so I went onos (one hive, but im a horrible fade) and was being shot as an egg when the rines disappeared. I had already told my team hive was gonna get sieged and they did nothing. So i made onos and ran out to start tearing down the PG when i came face to face with a team full of rines with l3 shotguns. Down I go.
          Both fades still alive and I'm desperately calling people to come help with the siege. Me and one other guy fought them as skulks until they eventually got the hive down.
          What were the fades doing? Taking down RT's. What were the rest of the team doing? Hiding in vents trying to parasite rines.
          After our inevitable miserable loss, I asked why they didnt help out and one of the guys who was fade told me that he "didnt feel like doing it, plus the res node was already have gone so (he) finished taking it out".
          So I went ballistic. Teamwork is the mode of the server and people that dont want to play along make me mad. Then to have the rines (most of whom were ? icons as well) chanting about how bad we sucked in the RR post game capped it off.
          The point is, people get frustrated and you can only keep that in check for so long. If you're the only one trying to win a game and the rest of your team doesnt care, patience wears thin.

Comment

I agree with you in that case. But I am referring especially to captains games, or games that are full of regulars. These are games where you are playing with good people who are used to using teamwork. You can get frustrated, but you shouldn't take it out on them because they actually do care and do want to try to win.

In cases where your team is ACTUALLY being stupid and NOT trying I don't care.
            It's when your team is trying but are getting further demoralized by people asking why they "can't kill one skulk", or anything like that. It's especially frustrating when a commander says it to marines because I have to bite my tounge to keep from responding with "why don't you come out here and try it yourself". Me saying that wouldn't help, at best it would start an argument distracting from the game and countinuing with the demoralization; at worst it could have the commander jump out.
            remi.D

Comment

i agree with you blu, and on a funny note, i think its at least partially my fault as anyone who's ever played ns with me knows that i am simply a bullet/bite sponge. i cant kill squat. but i'm a hell of a gorge or builder! :)

Comment

There is a difference in being upset because marines don't have the skill necessary to perform the task you have assigned them being upset because marines have not attempted to complete the task you have assigned them. This is something people need to pay attention to. I rarely get upset with people simply not having the skill to accomplish something (In reality no one has the skill to accomplish every task assigned them in NS, there are too many things that can happen to make this possible), but I do get upset when people ignore what I tell them to do.

A very common example of this is building sieges when under fire, most people want to sit there and wait on aliens, or stop building the moment an alien appears, which in most cases is the wrong answer. Sieges don't build themselves, and it's a videogame, it doesn't actually hurt you to die building. It helps the team to continue building as long as possible, and unless you're a great shot there is no reason to stop building to shoot at aliens your teammates will most definitely be firing at. As usual there are always circumstances when shooting helps more than building, but these are rare enough that building for most people is a better use of time. What would anger me is not when people die building, I expect this, but when they stop building constantly and the sieges never go up or go up extremely late.

This happens with building or killing nodes too, people get distracted killing aliens and fail in whatever they were tasked to do. If it's possible to kill the alien and accomplish the mission then by all means do it, but doing what the commander tells you to do requires knowing your personal limits. If you know you can't kill a skulk with 50 LMG bullets, much less 20, don't bother shooting that 20 at the skulk, shoot the node s/he told you to kill. Asking people to do things which will result in them dying isn't easy, even in a videogame, but it helps the team a lot more than trying to save everyone.

Comment

Asking marines why they can't kill skulks, or saying things like "come on guys" in an agravated tone demoralizes your team further. They are already getting demoralized by all the dying they are doing, or the fact that they can't seem to accomplish what you want. Telling them that you are dissapointed does nothing to help you.
                  This coming from the guy who told me today that in order to kill a skulk one must aim at it first... I'm not upset - I thought it funny... guess its all in the way something is said and the enviroment it is said in. Trust, respect, that sort of thing.
                  Do Scottish androids dream of electric sheep?

Sis - Boom - Bah - Sis - Boom - Bah - Sis - Boom - Bah

The sound of exploding sheep...

Comment

I actually find it to be extremely funny to just continue building while an alien is munching you.
                    I often die because I try to completely ignore the aliens and just accomplish my mission and hope the other marines will provide enough cover. At the very least I will cause distraction and let my teammates get more shots in.

Haha, yeah I actually thought about this thread at that time. I was saying it jokingly and I'm glad it was recieved as such. :P
                    remi.D

Comment

I'm as guilty of this as anyone. I don't think I blame my teammates much, but I have little mental landmarks where I say "this game is over", and start getting very defeatist. And yet, just tonight, we played a game where aliens were losing badly enough to pass all of my "game over" landmarks, and we still came back to win it. So I need to get myself a more positive attitude.

Comment

I witty comment on the failure of the marines to kill usually doesn't bother me too much.

The problem I have (though very rarely on TG thank goodness) is when the the tone is one of disrespect. This of course goes both ways with marines disrespecting a poor comm* but the commander is in a unique position because he is the leader. As the leader a disrespectful comm can very quickly make some disrespectful marines.

*Please note everyone that if a comm is sucking on this server it's almost always because you didn't want to do it and they were the on to man up, as a comm I'll keep trying my best till the disrepect starts (and yes I am Noob Comm)

Comment

I pretty much only comm if no one else knows how. It usually means we are doomed from the start because I'm not a particularly good com and the others have probably not been playing as long.

When I am blessed to have marines who know whats going on when I comm, it can go pretty well and I think I learn alot and get good advice. When I am not so blessed they tend to complain alot and make me feel like I had just refused to hop into the chair. I don't hop out of the chair, but you will frequently hear me say things like "anyone else want to com?" or the more extreme "I didn't even want to com in the first place, if you think you can do better be my guest"

I'm going to guess I have commed no more than 10 games, and I know I have only won two or three of them. I give my marines all the credit in those successes.

I know this topic is mostly referring to in game demoralizing, but at the end of the game hearing things like "my team sucked" "nub com" bothers me. I have not heard the nub com one used seriously in a while, and I think jokingly works fine. But seriously, as a part of this community I think it should be safe to expect an amount of maturity that goes beyond pointing fingers and yelling "he did it".

Comment

Originally posted by blu.knight
                            I actually find it to be extremely funny to just continue building while an alien is munching you.
                            I often die because I try to completely ignore the aliens and just accomplish my mission and hope the other marines will provide enough cover. At the very least I will cause distraction and let my teammates get more shots in.

Haha, yeah I actually thought about this thread at that time. I was saying it jokingly and I'm glad it was recieved as such. :P

I think that would be the reason we both died :D - I tend to try to complete the structure if it has only a few bars left to go (cause a functioning structure and no marines is better than a non-functioning structure and no marines), which means I rely on the other players to cover for me... looks like we were both expecting the other player to cover - instead we both built and died..... :P
                            Do Scottish androids dream of electric sheep?

Sis - Boom - Bah - Sis - Boom - Bah - Sis - Boom - Bah

The sound of exploding sheep...

Comment

It really does help to have people designated as "builders" who don't attack the aliens, and people designated as "defenders" who don't build in favor of attacking aliens. In the scheme of the game though, it's kind of like roulette. It would be quite dificult for the commander to keep tabs on everyone to the extent of micromanaging this aspect of the seige. It's really more of a judgement call for the marines. Sometimes it goes, sometimes it doesn't.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X