cheating death problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheating death problem

I join the server tonight with CD on and I get the message. "Your system has been modified. Please remove the modification to play on this server. Code[44]"

Now, I played just fine last night with cd. I did not change anything about NS since last night, and CD hasn't updated either. There was some sort of steam update as I joined the server, so it could be possibly related to that.

Only thing which comes to my mind which may be causing this "modification" is some texture pack I installed several days ago off the ns.org forums which is used with the "r_detailtextures 1" command. I don't recall what this pack was or where I got it from so i'm not sure how to remove it (i'm not even sure if thats the problem).

Anyone have ideas how to fix this, other then reinstalling ns. What does code[44] reffer to anyway.

Thanks

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Re: cheating death problem

Originally posted by Psi_RedEye22
    God hates you.

Seriously, I had the same error, all I had to do was kill all running instances of Steam, and restart it.
    I tired that, and God still hates me.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

I've rebooted everything there is to reboot, server side and client side, and I have the latest Steam releases client side and server side.

I'm still getting the error.

I've disabled CD and will monitor their site for an update in response to Steam's latest update.

Wyzcrak
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

dont you just hate Steam?

Comment

Originally posted by tycho
          dont you just hate Steam?

YES

um, message too short? That's not all that is too short around here.... oops. Did I type that?
          --
          CaveDog
          "Go sell crazy somewhere else... we're all stocked up here."

Comment

<sigh> I'm no fan or hater of Steam, but it sure would be nice if every technical post didn't degenerate into a Steam-bashing thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Rampage
              <sigh> I'm no fan or hater of Steam, but it sure would be nice if every technical post didn't degenerate into a Steam-bashing thread.
              Agreed. I will say, however, that it seems that our problems have only gone up after ns went to steam.

Some of that, though, is because we choose to run CD, which isn't really meant to run under steam. And when I say meant, I mean that there are inherent problems caused by steam/CD combo that the makers of both can really do little about. The main problem is that steam updates whenever, which CD can only react to, and until then, CD has false positives (if you're lucky).

If we didn't use CD, steam would be much less of a problem. (as far as I know, anyway, I'm no admin)

Discaimer:
              That being said, I don't nessisarily want to get rid of CD. I think it solves more problems that it creates.

(ps. vi commands don't work in the post editing window! :icon18: )
              --
              CaveDog
              "Go sell crazy somewhere else... we're all stocked up here."

Comment

Originally posted by CaveDog
                (ps. vi commands don't work in the post editing window! :icon18: )
                emacs commands do. :icon18:

Wyzcrak
                Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

This happens when VAC is enabled. Did you turn it on by mistake Wyz?

Comment

Originally posted by CaveDog
                    YES
                    I'm fairly confident that everyone here knows my stance on Steam.....
                    I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Comment

Steams not too bad... I liked WON better, but whatever.

Comment

BTW I'm getting this also and I havent modified my install at all... and I didnt even run CD soo...

Comment

I think it is because of viruses. The same kind of thing was happening with the old hl.exe for WON. You guys might want to do a virus scan, then reinstall cheating death, and probably steam.

Comment

it was CD

I did have it running in the background and thats why I got that message

Comment

Originally posted by _Ender_
                              it was CD

I did have it running in the background and thats why I got that message
                              For the record, I'm getting this message too. Started last night (that's the first time I've played since Monday, I think).

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X