A Plugin Change.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Plugin Change.

On thge server yesterday someone was talking about this with me, and I thought it was a good idea.

Right now, when a player leaves after the 1:30 mark, all his res in that instant goes to everyone else on the team.

There is 2 problems I see with this.
    1. AFK kicker is set to 1:20, so an afk will suck down res for the first 1:20 secs then leave with it all.
    2. The res goes to the team all at once, allowing for faster then normal lifeforms. (i did a 2:30 fade due to this)

Heres the Idea, when a person leaves, all his res goes into a bank, to be given to his team at slow rate that is still somewhat fast, maybe 1 res per sec. This way if the kicked person had 40 res, it would take 40 secs for his team to get it all, delaying any fast lifeform more. The orginal Idea was for 1 res per 4 secs. But I think that it was too slow. If someone joins to replace him, he gets the remaining bank.

We could then have this set to start at 30 secs. And would solve both of these problems. The res of the afkers would get back to the team, and this would not allow for instant fades/hives/onoses.
    Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Re: A Plugin Change.

We should solve the early-game AFK problem by greatly shortening the allowable AFK time at the beginning of the game. We'll lower it to 45 seconds or so. Between the last map's game ending, the map changing, the pre-game delay on the next map, and the 45-second early-game AFK timer, it means that someone taking a break between maps still gets about two minutes, overall, to be AFK, and they're removed much faster from the game if they're gone too long.

Beyond that, I'm not opposed to brainstorming about how to redistribute the res, but this plugin is not trivial, so I'm going to want lots of warm bodies in this thread calling for change before I get into the code again.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Eternaly_Lost
      Heres the Idea, when a person leaves, all his res goes into a vault, to be given to his team at slow rate that is still somewhat fast, maybe 1 res per sec. This way if the kicked person had 40 res, it would take 40 secs for his team to get it all, delaying any fast lifeform more. The orginal Idea was for 1 res per 4 secs. But I think that it was too slow. If someone joins to replace him, he gets the remaining bank.
      Edited especially for zib.
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I am the victim of a conspiracy.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

In regards to the redistribution, perhaps the timing should be equal to that of a res tower, so it's as if the towers were pumping out more for a little while until the res is completely distributed.
          Adren[c9] ::

-Proxx (C9H13NO3)
          Proximity Technologies

Comment

I think the res should be stored in a hive pocket to be given back to the next person joining the team.

*cough*vault*cough*

I personally don't think change is needed for the plugin, but if better ideas are generated I would not be opposed.

Comment

The plugin needs a change, I was discussing this last night with some other members. Giving a lump sum to the alien team as someone quits is totally unfair to the marine team, as it allows for quicker hives, and lifeforms. Now I do feel however, that the aliens should not lose the res, but they shouldn't get it all at once. I like the virtual node idea, where it acts like another node kicking a point out every 4 seconds, and if someone joins the game that person gets the remainder of the resources.

I think thats the fairest way to keep the aliens from losing the resources, while not dominating the marines when the aliens lose a player.

Comment

I agree with FireWater on this one. The virtual red node seems to be a fair way to solve the "res at once" disagreement.

Comment

I dissent.

If you're going to comment on whats "fair" for the marines, remember there are two parts to any aliens res count. There is the 25 res he started the game with, and all the res he picked up after that from res nodes. Had he not been part of the game to begin with, all of that extra res just would have gone to his teammates anyway, so I see no reason why they shouldn't have access to it immediately when he leaves.

On the other hand, the 25 starting res wouldn't have existed at all if he hadnt been playing. So... *thinks some more*

Comment

Need more input on this, please.

Great thoughts. Need more (or more support for/against those already presented).

Comment

I believe that the kick for afk at the beginning of the game (2:00) occurs before their res is allowed to be distributed (2:45 or so), correct? Since before the 2:45 mark or so it just behaves as if there is no res plugin and holds that res for when the player rejoins. I do agree with the earlier afk kick at the beginning of games, as it would solve one of the more crippling early game problems.
                      Rm 14:2 NIV
                      One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.

Comment

The early-game AFK change is coming regardless (unless Poker tells me otherwise).

I just want feedback, if any, about what changes we make when it comes to redistributing the res. I can do the slow redistribution change, or I can leave it alone.

Frankly, I'm leaning toward the slow distribution, but we've got lots of smart folks here, so I want help with design.

Comment

I say extra res makes up for the time they were unable to utalize the res they should have had because the teammate was afk.

The number of players in the game makes a big difference in the value of that 25 extra dumped res, something to consider if you do decide to do anything about that.

I say leave it, and consider it payment to the alien team for having to put up with not having as good of a resflow because the player was not using thier res. Like an investment... like the player serves as a "vault" which stores the res and gives back interest...

The problem you are talking about is when someone disconnects after the afks get kicked, but before the aliens get 50 res (I think they pretty much always have the 30 res, or are very close, when the res distribution plugin kicks in at 1:30) and even that is only if the player joined early enough to get 25 extra res (first 30 seconds or first minute, anyone?)

So in a span of 3-4 minutes is when someone who is not afk has to leave the game.

I am opposed to change.

Comment

Really, forget about early-game AFK. I'm going to fix it so that AFK folks don't last long enough to mean much at game start (they'll be removed after 45 seconds (I'll set the AFK timer to 120 seconds at the game's 0:50 mark).

Here's the question (forget early-game AFK):

When an otherwise-active teammate leaves his alien team (even if due to AFK later in the game), should aliens get his resources immediately, or should it be distributed slowly?

And, frankly, if the majority is "I dunno," then I'll leave it alone.

Comment

I'm gonna propose that the game holds onto that res for 30 seconds (in a vault perhaps?), and if a new player joins the team in that time, he gets that exact amount of res immediately. If no new player joins for 30 seconds, then the res is distributed to the team just like it is now.

Holding the res captive for an extra 30 seconds should be more than enough drawback, when added to the fact that they didn't get to have that player spend it on whatever he was doing to begin with. And it cuts the window when a player has to leave to disrupt normal alien tech time by another 30 seconds. As a bonus, it means new joining players arent limited to nothing but skulk for the first few minutes.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X