Helpful captains mode plugin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helpful captains mode plugin

Before the game starts for captains mode it would be nice if there was a way to keep track of what everyone is doing that way it wouldn't take as long for the planning phase because people wouldn't forgot what someones job is.

So I propose before the game starts in the top left part of the screen it displays the persons name followed by what they are planning to do for the game.

If you use the command /job <description> in chat then this text would go next to your name in captains mode. Or if someone else typed in /job "<Persons Name>" <description> then someone else could set what someone is supposed to do in the top left part of the page.

So say players 1 - 8 are on a team. If player 1 types "/job hive", player 2 types "/job early fade" player 3 types "/job hive", player 4 types "/job movement chambers", player 5 types "/job hit marine nodes all game", player 6 types "/job lerk", player 7 types "/job res node", and player 8 types "/job res node" then in the top left part of the page would look something like this.

player1: hive
    player2: early fade
    player3: hive
    player4: movement chambers
    player5: hit marine nodes all game
    player6: lerk
    player7: res node
    player8: res node

Re: Helpful captains mode plugin

If somebody entered in something already entered, it would send a message with something like "job already taken" in console.

Interesting idea though, but are there a lot of other regs and SMs up for such a system?
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Work out the kinks (if there are any), guys.

I love the idea. I'd be happy to code it once we figure everything out.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
        Work out the kinks (if there are any), guys.

I love the idea. I'd be happy to code it once we figure everything out.
        Sounds good! I think a captains mode plugin would be a handy edition to our captain nights.

But, I don't think it would work if everybody on the team could use it. Really it should only be captains that are able to use it so people won't change other people's roles and the captain has final say. If everyone can assign their own job, I'm only seeing the same confusion there already is and multiple people changing jobs to fix things.

A new command you say? How about when the captains are chosen... each of them types "teamcaptain" in console (or whatevers appropriate, and *only* two people are able to access this command at the same time) and this allows them access the /job /jobclear command.

People talk about roles, the captain starts entering in /job for players... he goes down the list and make sure everything looks okay... then we ready like normal

Lets say 2 people need to switch roles for whatever reason... all the captain would have to do is use the /jobclear aeroripper (leaving the description blank) to clear their job and do this for both people, then just reassign them with the /job command again.

To summarize.
        • Only 2 people can use "teamcaptain" command at the same time. If one of the captains leaves, somebody else can now use the available "teamcaptain" command.
        • Using "teamcaptain" allows access to the "/job" and "/jobclear" commands
        • Only the captains can make changes to the jobs

I think this should avoid a lot of confusion about people forgetting what they were doing if its displayed graphically.

Everything would reset on map change like normal.

Comment

Originally posted by aeroripper
          Everything would reset on map change like normal.
          Round change and map change.

Keep the design thoughts coming, all.
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

What has been suggested so far is great for aliens but marines tend put players into groups and have more complex strategies so it would be tedious to assign jobs player by player and then type out a description of what they're supposed to do, it would end up looking cluttered and add to the pre-match planning time. I think a command like "/teamstrategy Early Motion/ Early AA" and then a command to assign people to groups as well as normal one person /jobs with something like "/jobgroup1 Player1,Player3,Player5 cap west and then head to double" and "/jobgroup2 Player7,Player8 run through the dome to cargo".

The overall result would be displayed like this:

Code:
            Team Strategy - Early Motion/ Early AA
            Player 2 - Build base
            Player 4 - Cap topo then move to c12
            Player 6 - Comm
              Group 1 - Cap west then move to double
                Player 1
                Player 3 
                Player 5
              Group 2 - Run straight to cargo through dome
                Player 7
                Player 8
            whereas, if you just used /job for each person it would look like this:

Code:
            Player1 - Group 1, Cap west then move to double
            Player2 - Build base
            Player3 - Group 1, Cap west then go to double
            Player4 - Cap topo then move to c12
            Player5 - Group 1, Cap west then double
            Player6 - Comm, Early Motion/Early AA
            Player7 - Group  2,  Run through the dome to cargo
            Player8 - Group 2,  Run to cargo through dome
            If you were doing a relocate you could also just do something like "/teamstrategy Relocate to Core Monitoring" and then "/job Player6 Comm" for a simple way to show the strategy.

It would also be nice if you could put in some kind of pre-match planning timer along with this to cut down on the waiting that everyone complains about. There could be one timer for inputting the "teamcaptain" command which, if the timer ran out, would randomly make someone a captain and then a second timer once both teams have captains before the ready command is automatically issued.

Comment

Definitley an interesting idea. Maybe in addition to this we could simplify the chosing of people for teams and have a "/pick name" command for the captains. It would only be enabled for when it was that one's pick. (and it would need to keep track of who picked first.) Then it would send them to the proper team; and after a succesful game it would automatically switch the teams.

A notice to let the captain know when a player leaves would be good too. Maybe a voice type thing (vox) that way they can adapt accordingly and quickly.

The plugin would also need to announce to new players that it is a captain game.
              remi.D

Comment

If nobody minds, I think I'm going to start working on the part I just said. Not the planning ability, but just the ability to say you're a captain and then pick teams and be told when someone leaves and switch the teams.

:)
                remi.D

Comment

I don't like this plugin because it implies that the same strategies have to go on for the alien team round after round.

With this plugin, it would deter lets say, the 6 lerk rush we did (despite the fact it failed) to rush the marine spawn, there would be no option for that.

I don't think there is confusion as it is during the captains games other than picking the teams. So I really don't think a plugin is neccesary.

Comment

The trick is to make the plugin flexible enough that you can put any strategy up so it just becomes a way for the captain to stay a little more organized, not a restricting thing.

So like..

/jobgroup all "Lerk Rush Base"
                    /remove BillyBob
                    /remove SexyKid
                    /jobgroup BillyBob, SexyKid "Drop MCs"

Code:
                    PLAN                   CAPTAIN - Player1(2)
                    Lerk Rush Base
                       - Player1
                       - Player33
                       - Player143
                       - Player5
                       - Player1(2)
                    Drop MCs
                       - BillyBob
                       - SexyKid
                    remi.D

Comment

I think a little table like this is very interesting and can be especially useful to the aliens but like mr. pie said it could get really complicated for marines. The vox idea is excellent because it would indeed become incredibly tedious and consuming for the team captain to type all of it out everytime something changes. So perhaps keywords like "Adrenaline Res" types out "C9H13NO3: Resource Tower" (the player callsigns I think would only work for regs unless some kind of number system mod was intalled that gave everyone a number somehow). If vox keywords are used then even marines can use it easily "Adrenaline Base Others Res" --> "C9H13NO3: Build Base | Everyone Else: Disperse to Resource Towers"

All in all, very curious idea. I'd be interested to see it implemented.
                      Adren[c9] ::

-Proxx (C9H13NO3)
                      Proximity Technologies

Comment

If anyone is bored and want to help this out, feel free to make sentences using the vox thing in halflife...

Example:
                        speak "you(t30) are(t30) now(t30) in(t30) a captain(e85)(t30) zero(e25)(t30) get(e25) team(s50)"

Explanation of modifiers:
                        http://www.planethalflife.com/studio...html#MODIFIERS
                        Word List:
                        http://tf.valve-erc.com/kbase.php?id=23

So far I have done:
                        "You have been chosen for team one/two"
                        "This is/is not a captains game"
                        "You are now a captain"
                        "You are/are not a captain"
                        "A teammate has left the game"
                        "New teammate has been found"

Other ideas
                        "A player has joined your team"
                        "The other team has readied"
                        "Your team has readied"
                        "You are on the wrong team"
                        "Starting next round"
                        "Your captain has abandoned you"
                        "Captain positions filled" / "Captain positions already taken"

Go crazy... I don't care....

Feel free to give redoing the ones I've done already, or just doing one word if you feel like it.

The words I've already done, if you want to try them out. ->
                        Captains: captain(e85) zero(e25)
                        Chosen: check(e25) open(e25) six(e30) sudden(s90)
                        Game: get(e25) team(s50)
                        Teammate: team(e70) may(t30) idiot(s80)
                        New: nine(e10) you(s30)
                        remi.D

Comment

I think we're making it to complicated :-/. We don't want captains excessively confused on using the new commands.

- A 6 lerk rush can still work, but I can understand how it would be tedious for the captain to input everyone elses jobs. Maybe it would decrease the burdon on the captain if each player could assign their own role? I'm changing my mind because I can see where this would be a problem for a captain.

I still think this would work better than how its done now since people can see what everyone is doing graphically and less likely to get confused.

- The "team strategy" is a good idea, list it above all the player names\roles below it. This way you can have it look like this:

MARINES:

Code:
                          Team Strategy: Early AA, Upgrades first, Motion first, etc...
                          Player 1 - Chemical - pressure group
                          Player 2 - West Access - capping group
                          Player 3 -Chemical - pressure group
                          Player 4 -Chemical -pressure
                          Player 5 - West Access - capping group
                          Player 6 - Chemical - pressure
                          Player 7 - Commander
                          Player 8 - Base builder
                          I don't think we need an additional group function for marines as this just complicates it when you can just write it next to the players name.

ALIENS:

Code:
                          Team Strategy: Normal game, assigned roles, 3 early lerks, gorge rush, etc...
                          Player 1: lerk
                          Player 2: node
                          Player 3: hive
                          player 4: node
                          player 5: lerk
                          Player 6: lerk
                          Player 7: chambers
                          Player 8: node
                          I like the speak idea to play a sound when a player uses the /teamcaptain command so it will speak "you are now a captain". I don't think we need .wavs for these other instances just because they are so rare, and it will get overly complicated. A personal audio alert for the 2 people who use the /teamcaptain command would be handy though... if somebody else is confused and tries to use it after there are already 2 captains assigned, it shouldn't do anything. Although I don't see that happening.

Summary1:
                          • When a captain uses the "/teamcaptain" command it will play a speak command of "you are now a captain"
                          • A new "/teamstrat" command used as the main idea for the team listed above all the jobs
                          • There should be no extra group command, people can just write what group their in next to their name like I demonstrated

I don't like this plugin because it implies that the same strategies have to go on for the alien team round after round.

With this plugin, it would deter lets say, the 6 lerk rush we did (despite the fact it failed) to rush the marine spawn, there would be no option for that.

I don't think there is confusion as it is during the captains games other than picking the teams. So I really don't think a plugin is neccesary.
                          I disagree. Under this method someone can use the /teamstrat command to assign the overall strategy (ie... 6 lerk rush) and it will work fine. This plugin would be an accessory that isn't necessarily needed, but I have seen a lot of confusion before in captains games and a visual reminder would be helpful.

There are to remaining problems using a method like the one I've listed out here:
                          • Should *only* the captain be able to use the /teamstrategy command? How would he clear it if it needs changing? Maybe by just using the command again and entering in something different will clear it? We will have to make sure before being a captain that they are familar with this command and its function.
                          • Other players can be in charge of assigning their individual jobs, and captains can be in charge of assigning /teamstrat. Although will we be running into the problem if we are playing with people who arn't familar with the commands, they will not know how to assign a job and we will have to educate them. Should captains be able to force assign a job to somebody in case they can't figure it out, or is this assuming to much and should the problem be worked out socially?

Summary2:

/teamcaptain: When used by a max of 2 players at one time, it will play a speak command of "You are now captain". This allows them access to the /teamstrat command.

/teamstrat: Only captains can use this to assign the overall strategy for the team that game.

/job: Each individual player on a team can assign their own role, and change it by just typing a new job in console, or using a /jobclear command. Ideally we shouldn't need a jobclear command if a player can just use /job and a new description.
                          Last edited by aeroripper; 07-08-2006, 01:26 PM.

Comment

I don't think a grouping function is that complicated.

The different things I've already done are just using the speak command and already built in .wav things. The reason I posted saying people coiuld help me is to see if they could make the words sound any better.

I'm actually considering trying both parts, but for now I'm just doing the part without hte organization. (Partly for practice, partly for fun.)
                            remi.D

Comment

The confusion is usually in assigning the roles, not the strategy. Just having a menu in the top left corner listing everyones roles before the game started would be helpfull. Maybe having a /menu command to toggle it on and off so its not just sitting there all game, but is still viewable mid-game. Having everyone assigning their own jobs would probably work fine, people playing on the server during captains will usually listen to their captain. A /teamcaptain command would make things too complicated as well as a /teamstrat command, just assigning the roles and counting on people sticking to the strat planned should work.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X