Half life tool idea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half life tool idea

Hey guys. I know I haven't been on the server in a while, I'm in the middle of a move. Hopefully next weekend I'll be moved in to my new apartment and get a chance to hop on the server. Though this is generic to half-life (and possibly source), I think that this applies most to the NS community here.

Anyway, I was posting here because I've been thinking of making a half life tool, and you guys represent two of the use cases. I was thinking of a small windowed app (cross platform) that would show you the map currently running on the server (a 3D map, or a 2D overlay, haven't decided yet), along with the players current positions marked on the map. It could be like a real-time overview, sort of like the minimap, with the players moving around and probably chat logs too. In the case of NS, structures could also be marked. I'm thinking HL engine, before tackling the source engine.

I could imagine two use cases. One is administration, you can kind of get a quick overview of what's going on in the server; are people screwing around, abusing FF, generally not helping their team. A second use case would be for the HLTV matches. You'd be able to get a decent view of what was going on (possibly with a secondary audio broadcast over TS/vent), but without having to launch a big desktop-hogging game to watch it. You could even spec a couple servers or matches at once. The app would be cross platform and modular, so it might also be possible to embed it in a webpage, where a site could show you a snapshot of the current play state on the server. That might be cool too.

The only hard part would be getting the data. It would need some server side plugin (metamod) to publish the data to the clients, but this would also have the advantage of giving server ops the ability to control what data gets published and who is allowed to acces it (i.e. don't allow ips on the server to discourage ghosting). Another idea might be a thin client that could connect to a hltv server, that would run under steam and spoof being a real client to the server, so it'd be sort of like a hltv connection but the game wouldn't actually run. I would also imagine that either would support a relay model.

Any thoughts or ideas? It's just a basic idea right now, but I think it's something that could be useful. I really want to do some half life development, but I think there's already too many mods out there.

Re: Half life tool idea

phpua does most of that, I think.

But I'd still love a solution that lets administrators hear voicecomm without launching HL. If that means a thin client that connects to HLTV, great.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I'd really like a thin client that allows to hear the voice and draws the map with all the little icons in it as if you are in NS. That way a HLTV session could be watched (generally) while doing other things, and you can tell quite a bit from the minimap.

Ooo ooo... It would be especially cool if it caught the bullets fired (and their direction) and drew tracers on the minimap, and if it caught deathmessages so when someone dies it would turn to a skull rather than just disappearing.

Woo
      remi.D

Comment

One of my biggest complaints with current HLTV is that you CANT see the minimap. If this was implemented, I might almost prefer watching this to watching the HLTV itself.

Incidentally, my 2nd biggest complaint is the loss of free spectate mode, but I don't suppose there's much we can do about that client-side.

Comment

But I'd still love a solution that lets administrators hear voicecomm without launching HL. If that means a thin client that connects to HLTV, great.
          Agreed, it gets tedious having to set your voice variables before joining hltv to hear voicecomms. The thing I don't like about hltv now is I can run it in a window, but when I alt-tab to another application I cannot hear any sound or voicecomms. It would be a lot better if I could be able to still hear sound\voices from the game and work on other stuff being able to check back visually on the game once and a while.

Plus a minimap in game viewable in game would be a nice addition.
          Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
          Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

A way to select which team you want to hear would also be good, it's so difficult to try to listen to both teams at once.
            remi.D

Comment

I'm with kero, I don't use HLTV because there's no minimap. All the important information in this game comes from that map. In game, my minimap is up more often than it's not because it holds all the most important information.

Comment

Mine is up so much I think I should install a foot pedal so that I don't have to sacrafice bunny hopping for it.
                remi.D

Comment

*thinks*

Thanks blu knight, you just gave me an idea!

I do all sorts of different things while holding down my map key, which is currently bound to "m", on the opposite side of the keyboard from everything else. It gets tedious having to stretch my hand that far.

But whats the one thing I NEVER do while using the map? Attack! So I'm gonna bind map to Mouse2 (currently unbound), so I can view the map with my OTHER hand.

:)

Comment

I suppose as an alien that's no problem, but when you're a marine that takes away your ability to quickly call for medpacks and such.
                    remi.D

Comment

That would only be true if I had pop-up menu bound to Mouse2 before. But I had way too many instances as a Fade where I would try to blink, call up the menu by mistake, and evolve into a skulk. Not to mention the not insignificant chance of calling the menu while trying to rapid-fire my pistol, removing my ability to shoot and leading to my death.

So I don't put ANYTHING on my mouse that might interfere with combat.

Comment

Originally posted by blu.knight
                        Mine is up so much I think I should install a foot pedal so that I don't have to sacrafice bunny hopping for it.
                        The foot pedal idea's not totally bad, those kind of things are available... but I think I have the minimap up entirely too much. half the time when I bring it down there's a marine standing where the minimap was, firing bullets at me.

Comment

hmm... Given your reasoning kero, I might actually have to put the map over on the mouse. It defintiely sounds good.
                          remi.D

Comment

Might i add "Dual Monitor Support"?

That way I can play on one monitor, and view the mini-map on the other.
                            Oyee

Comment

I assume by "Play" you mean "watch" and by that you mean HLTV and not ghosting everything in a game, because that would be lame.
                              remi.D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X