Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [fix?] steam crashing?

http://www.natural-selection.org/for...howtopic=65683

Hey guys, I've been talking to a lot of people who've had problems with steam crashing either on startup, entering a game, or leaving a game. Especially quitting NS... that seems to be a big one.

Sometimes going into your steamapps folder, deleting platform.gcf and reloading steam (forcing it to update the file on demand) will help. So, if you've had any of these problems try that.
    Clientregistry.blob also forces an update.
    I followed the instructions in the first two posts of this thread. Not sure yet if it has helped anything. I'll report back here with results in time.

Note: this required me to re-login to Steam, and it also downloaded some stuff.

Wyzcrak

edit: I didn't realize that was a CM forum thread. I have quoted the posts I referenced (the first two posts in the thread) above.
    Last edited by Wyzcrak; 03-13-2004, 08:04 PM.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: [fix?] steam crashing?

thanks wyz

I was having a lot of problems with steam. I did what wyz quoted from the other thread and it seems to be working fine now.
    Last edited by _Ender_; 03-13-2004, 08:17 PM.

Comment

I'm still having this problem of it crashing when I exit NS.. stupid POS steam..

Comment

this did nothing to help my problem.

Wyzcrak

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

i helped mine. thank you wyzcrak

Comment

It fixed mine for a little while, then it went back to being unresponsive.

Comment

NS now proceeds to crash 100% of the time upon exit and randomly when I open my console. This is as of March 15th.

Comment

Mine is about 85% of the time it crashes on exit and about 80% on start up. This all started after the last Steam Upgrade. I hope they fix it soon.

Comment

When steam crashes, i'm like "omg, steam crashed... damn." It's totally natural now, it's like, expected.

Comment

Originally posted by NothingMore.
                    When steam crashes, i'm like "omg, steam crashed... damn." It's totally natural now, it's like, expected.

hahahha, its so true. steam usually doesn't act up if you have it so that you have to log in every time

Comment

I just read on another website that setting your volume to 0 before you quit or disconnect will prevent the problems described in this thread.

I don't know if it works, but I thought I'd pass it along. If the problem is an audio issue, it would make sense that setting volume to 0 might help.

Wyzcrak

Comment

i suggest based on experience that you should delete your clanregistry.blob in a once every week period. cuz as for now, it's still a little "buggy"

Comment

Wups, I just posted in the other forum without reading this one.

Another workaround is to type
                          stopsound; quit when you want to quit instead of just "quit".
                          Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                            I just read on another website that setting your volume to 0 before you quit or disconnect will prevent the problems described in this thread.

I don't know if it works, but I thought I'd pass it along. If the problem is an audio issue, it would make sense that setting volume to 0 might help.

Wyzcrak
                            I tested this and it does not work. I'll try WM's suggestion, which I've also read elsewhere.

I'll leave this thread open for now in case anyone wants to report the results of the stopsound tip.

Wyzcrak

Comment

Originally posted by Wintermute
                              Wups, I just posted in the other forum without reading this one.

Another workaround is to type
                              stopsound; quit when you want to quit instead of just "quit".
                              this didn't work for me.

I tried

stopsound; wait; quit and that works about half the time, so there is something to it. (the wait makes sure that stopsound has taken affect, but it may not be why this has started working a bit) I think that a sound will start happening before the quit can happen. :icon23:

This is very annoying.
                              --
                              CaveDog
                              "Go sell crazy somewhere else... we're all stocked up here."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X