Changes to the Map Cycle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes to the Map Cycle

I feel the current map rotation has grown stale, especially the first three maps. During the offhours when there aren't many regulars on we often end up playing the caged-tanith-lost cycle over and over for hours and there are almost never any good games during this time. I think replacing one or two of these three with more balanced maps would give the server more life during the afternoon when we have a smaller number of regulars on.

The current map cycle is:
    1. ns_caged
    2. ns_tanith
    3. ns_lost
    4. ns_veil
    5. ns_hera
    6. ns_eclipse
    7. ns_nancy
    8. ns_orbital_cal
    9. ns_origin
    10. ns_ayumi
    11. ns_bast
    12. ns_altair
    13. ns_eon
    14. ns_metal
    15. ns_nothing
    16. ns_rampage

Right the now the maps we lose the most players on are caged and lost. It's rare that we get any farther than that in the cycle unless the server is mostly full of regulars.

My personal opinion is that veil would be a better first map since it's one of the more popular maps and, unlike caged, is well balanced which will help with the lack of coordination from the players that join during co_. Tanith is a good map despite being seriously overplayed so I don't think it really needs to be changed. Lost isn't completely terrible like caged, but it is one of the tougher maps to hold and defend nodes on which makes it tough to stage comebacks and I typically see one team steamrolling the other. Even if it doesn't necessarily need to be replaced, switching lost with nothing, altair, eon, or metal might make for a nice change. If veil is moved spot four would also be a viable place to put in one of the 12-15 maps, with caged ending up closer to the end of the rotation. From that point on I think the maps are fine.

Since there will need to be more discussion and I assume a genral consensus before any change happens you fellows should chime in with your thoughts and opinions.

Re: Changes to the Map Cycle

You forgot shiva. :)

I'm all for mixing it up a bit. Any firther suggestions?
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I recommend that ns_altair be replaced with the more update ns_altair_cal version. It only contains a few updates from the current version, but nonetheless I feel that they were important ones. Altair, eon, and orbital are my favorite maps so I'd like to see them bumped up, but I do agree that a more standard map such as tanith or veil should be in the top of the rotation.

Comment

We played ns_lucid tonight on TGNS. That map is so ready for prime time.
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
          We played ns_lucid tonight on TGNS. That map is so ready for prime time.
          I'm a big fan.

Lots of winding hallways that block marine line of sight, makes skulking a blast.
          Steam Community: | |

Comment

I didn't like it. Can't even quite figure out why. I think it was too bland and empty, or too sterile... Or I just didn't like the stupidly windy hallways. Very weird.
            remi.D

Comment

I'm going to guess that we'll find it has a distinct marine bias. Last night long after we would have gone down on any other map - the marines were still kicking. With practice holding enough nodes, the marines should do very well on that map.
              Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

What do you guys see in Orbital?

Comment

Originally posted by Slayer of Hippies
                  What do you guys see in Orbital?
                  A map that absolutely crucifies marines for losing map control?

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I would love to see the map cycle changed. Having my least favorite map first on the mapcycle has never been very enjoyable...

As long as we're talking about maps, I'd also like to see more experimentation with custom maps. The more maps we have on the mapcycle, the more variety there will be, and variety is the spice of... NS? One way this could be done would be to have a testing slot about halfway down the mapcycle, that would have a different map each week (time period negotiable), with a poll in the forums at the end about whether that map should be added to the regular cycle, thrown out the window, or tested again in the future (with "tested again" winning if no option has a majority).

I realize that this may involve some work, and hence may not happen with the current changes occupying attention (and thank you for those changes :) ), but it would be cool to see if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Agamemnon
                      As long as we're talking about maps, I'd also like to see more experimentation with custom maps. The more maps we have on the mapcycle, the more variety there will be,
                      ....and the more the server will totally empty out. Most custom maps are terrible. The notable exceptions are already on the server, although rampage really shouldn't be on the mapcycle either. If anything add maps that have since been removed or altered in NS (Agora anyone?).

Comment

While I won't dispute that custom maps have a proven ability to clear servers, I'll say that that says more about the players than the maps.

We can find maps to add, and even those which belong. Precedent does advise that we introduce them at a very slow pace, though.

Comment

I definitly think we shoudl put some of the more popular and balanced maps first. It would help populate the server on off peak hours, and hopefully get more people interested enough in the server to regester on the forums. Veil Metal Eclipse Lost Tanith i think should all be close to the top.

Comment

We should remove bast from the list. It clear out the server more then any other map. More people here would play siege007, or shiva, or just about any other map over bast.

I would like to see more maps being played, i hate how it always Tanth, or those maps. The other maps are fun just give them time.
                            Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Originally posted by Eternaly_Lost
                              We should remove bast from the list. It clear out the server more then any other map. More people here would play siege007, or shiva, or just about any other map over bast.

I would like to see more maps being played, i hate how it always Tanth, or those maps. The other maps are fun just give them time.
                              As long as you have a GO who loves ns_bast, that'll be a hard sell. :)
                              [volun2]
                              NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                              Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                              <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                              <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X