Captains games...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captains games...

I don't know if it's just me or if the rest of you notice this as well, but captains games during normal game nights seem to empty the server a bit.

We may have a full server, and play a captains game looking for some intense teamplay, and lose anywhere between 3 and 6 people. I haven't made any records of this, and it definately doesn't happen everytime but I feel like some people have some sort of beef with captains games. I don't really see why. I can see that the captains try their best to stack the teams with the best players, but it ends up balancing out more because each captain wants the best players, therefore both teams normally have their fair share of the best players.

So, what's the beef?

Why do you guys not like captains games outside of captains night?

-Mom
    Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Re: Captains games...

So I've noticed the same trend and come to the opposite conclusion. The server empties AFTER the captains game. It may not be that people didn't like the captain's game, there may just be a natural tendency after an intense game to want to rest that part of our brain or whatever. I find that I often leave the server just after a particularly good game, even when it's not captains.

That said, also keep in mind that when it does get stacked, it can be frustrating losing to the same people twice in a row, though this is not the typical captains game, as it requires one of the captains to have erred fairly badly in the picking phase (or the first pick to immediately leave, which does occasionally happen).

edit: However, although captains can lead to some of the best games, it can also lead to some of the most frustrating games if there is a personality conflict on the team. Having just played a match where I effectively resigned as captain after the first half, I can say that captains is a double-edged sword.
    Last edited by Agamemnon; 08-06-2006, 01:22 AM.

Comment

People being polite, they usually leave at the end of games. Captains games tend to run longer (they always last for two rounds, not just one), not to mention people are less likely leave mid-game during captains. It's just a matter of timing and etiquette.

Comment

I definitely do tend to leave after the two rounds of captains... but I'm not sure if I'm on the server for a different length of time.

You see, normal games are shorter, and I would probably play for about two hours or so. Captains games though normally take up two hours, and that's just in one map. It's a long time to be playing, and it's intense awesome games, but I don't think I'm leaving any earlier than I normally would, it's just that more people leave at the same time, and are reluctant to leave during the middle of the game.

I love captains games, and I always have more fun in captains games because it's all balanced and because interesting strategies are sometimes tried, and everyone always knows what they're doing. The planning is amusing, and the actual game is (given good team selection) always very even.

I actually think that the captain's teampicking is a fun game in and of itself. If you know the players you know who you want more, but it doesn't just come down to that. You need to think about who the other captain would value, who they would go for first. Possibly save someone you really want till later because you know the other person won't pick them until later.
        The team pick is a game of strategy, and I don't know if everyone realizes this.
        Deciding to pick first or second is also interesting. If you pick first, you get your first pick... but if you pick second you forfeit the first pick but get to immediately get your top two. The trick with this is figuring out who you think the other captain will pick first, and if the two you want are worth the trade off.

It's all very fun. Reminds me of a book by Piers Anthony called The Apprentice Adept. The people in the book have this challenge thing, and the start of it is choosing what the challenge will be, and it's got a lot of strategy and trying to figure out what your opponent will chose.

End Rant.
        I love Captain's Games.
        remi.D

Comment

#nspickup

Comment

Originally posted by xtcmen
            #nspickup
            quoted for truth

Comment

I also like captains games, although I confess, not playing too many yet. I had a hard time staying in the game, when my family decided to eat dinner right in the middle of the match. I think it may have to do with the timing, being at night.

I particully like captains games, but at the same time I also dislike some aspects.

+ It's usually balanced, and has long game play!

- It's school yard rules, meaning I get picked last, which isn't that bad, I still contribute no matter what.

>Sirusblk

Comment

"Family, NS is more important than you are. I'll come to dinner when this game is over."

Glad I could help. :)
                Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                  "Family, NS is more important than you are. I'll come to dinner when this game is over."
                  That been working for you lately?
                  Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

No comment. No comment.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
                      Originally posted by xtcmen View Post
                      #nspickup
                      quoted for truth
                      quoted for lies.

While you might think it would be same because you're playing with the same rules, the thing is that you're playing with random people that are often not willing to do more interesting strategies. On TGNS though it's all people I have played with before and people are more open to interesting strategies because when you're among friends it doesn't matter as much if you lose because you still have fun.

My opinion is such because I used to go to #nspug or whatever. Captains on TGNS is just much better.
                      remi.D

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post

Glad I could help. :)
                        Try that in about 8 months and see how it goes. Please feel free to relay your wife's reply on IRC.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAdj` View Post
                          Try that in about 8 months and see how it goes. Please feel free to relay your wife's reply on IRC.
                          Wyz is going to be a domesticated wuss in about 3 months.

Comment

I'm pretty good with a broom. :/

Comment

Getting hit with a broom you mean...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X