This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thin line...

There is a very thin line between our new rules and the point I am about to make. I don't want the admin to automatically assume that I am trying to open a discussion of the rule itself, but more trying to open a discussion of it's consiquences.

To put it bluntly, MOST everyone does it. In fact, I'd probably be safe to say that every player in NS has once in their lifetime atleast THOUGHT the unapproved of words. My direct point is that a direct ban is a tad extreme.

I discussed this today with Wyz before a game, and he laid it out pretty straight. I can understand our urge to keep the server clean, but the afore said words are commonplace in the internet society. A direct ban is a tad bit extreme when people are so used to doing something.

We were playing metal today and someone said rape. They caught themselves just after, and Keres just laughed it off. That was absolutely acceptable because it is such a commonplace word in the FPS society that we get all of our members from.

I just think our admins should concider that most of us are used to saying the unapproved of words, and should be a bit more leniant. Especially towards ?'s, if a direct ban is what they get. I can see regulars to the forums getting banned instantly, but people who haven't been in these discussions do deserve the right to slip up. It's not set in the rules that we can't say "rape" or "gay", it is only set that you must use "cable television language." Last time I checked, those two words are said on a hourly basis on cable TV. Maybe not in the form or with the meaning that we have in our gameplay, but they are said.

Just take into concideration a warning instead of a direct ban. Why are we approaching this as if it were the greatest sin anyone could do on the server? I've sat and watched people come into the server and say the F word, which to most is concidered the worst possible vulgar word there is, and only get a warning. In fact, I'm normally the first to throw the warning. I've adapted my in-game warnings to the words we've set into stone, and I warn for them too. I wouldn't directly ban you or anyone else who came in and said them, simply because they are so commonplace in the FPS environment that people literally don't expect it to cause problems.

I'm the total reason that this was brought up, because it was in my presence that these rules were decided, and by my fault that they were even discussed to begin with. I was the one that said both of the words, which were followed by the discussion and ruling of their usage, so I think that I have the right to express my opinion.

We should warn before we ban, regardless of new rules, or old ones. I thought we gave everyone a chance.

-Mom
    Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Re: Thin line...

Most bans are lifted. Some are best described even as brief. Some come after warnings. Some don't.

Originally posted by Yer Mom
    I'm the total reason that this was brought up, because it was in my presence that these rules were decided, and by my fault that they were even discussed to begin with. I was the one that said both of the words, which were followed by the discussion and ruling of their usage, so I think that I have the right to express my opinion.
    The consideration which led to our language policy (yes, even the specific "gay" and "rape") predates you here. Your opinion has been expressed and noted.

Originally posted by Yer Mom
    We should warn before we ban, regardless of new rules, or old ones. I thought we gave everyone a chance.
    We do give everyone a chance, but we have standards. Those who want to return to the server after making a simple mistake that earned a ban have a documented path toward that remedy.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Re: Thin line...

And another thing...

Keres "laughed it off tonight" when dude instantly offered an unsolicited apology for what he'd just done. The guy knew he'd screwed up, and made it clear that it wouldn't happen again.

If people manage their behavior adequately, admins shouldn't act. When they won't, we will.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
      X