CO Extra Levels...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO Extra Levels...

I personally hate CO largely because of Extra Levels.
    I think it takes away any trace of strategy in it.

What are your thoughts? Would you want extra levels disabled? Maybe have it in the extra upgrades points spend thing instead?

Due to recent IRC discussion, I would like to point out that:
    extra levels != extra upgrades
    remi.D

Re: CO Extra Levels...

I stomach CO best when strategy isn't considered. I have NS for that.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

There's no strategy to begin with, anyway. And I dislike extra upgrades a whole lot more than I dislike extra levels.

Comment

Without extralevels I can't go NS-style 3 hive fade. Not that most ns games even get to three hives...

Fade = 3 points
        Celerity = 1 point
        Metabolize = 1 point
        Focus = 2 points
        Acid Rocket = 2 points
        Regen = 1 point

Once you are level 10, you only have 9 points.

On a more realistic note, if you want to play co_ seriously, you have two options:

Ask people on the server not to get crazy things or use more than 9 points. This can be kinda fun, like skulks vs. lmgs only etc...

Find a different server.

Comment

I'm not going to go find another server because I don't care enough about CO to do so. I was just posting this thread to see what other people thought. I mentioned this once ingame and someone agreed with me.

Co is pretty lame to begin with, but I think extra levels breaks it more, in terms of balance and fun.
          remi.D

Comment

Properly balancing CO takes a lot more time and effort than I think any of us are willing to spend.

That said, extra levels provide a lot more benefit to high-level Oni and Fades than they do to marines, and do seem to make the game even less balanced than it already was. On the other hand, there's so many good builds that just really want that 10th skill point. So if I had my way, I'd leave extra levels in, but cap it at 11. :)

Comment

Here's another thing... What about buildmenu? I personally think the buildmenu makes for stupidly hectic and amusing games... Accidentally stayed up until 5 last night because I was making phasegate platforms to shoot from and massively overclocked turret factories :P

(Aka, many tfs in one place, lots of zappage)
              remi.D

Comment

CO Extra Levels plugin for TG server also seems a little out of date... and there is a bug in it... someone turned on extra levels last night, and I got adrenaline and bloodlust, the game after that we played, I did not lose the blood lust and had quick recharge on the adrenaline.

Comment

I am not fond of that bug. I know cybernetics also carries over for marines. This happens consitently whenever multiple games are played before the map changes.

I like having additional levels in combat, but sometimes the /menu plugin is nice and sometimes it isn't.

It's not activated that often.
                  We don't play combat that much.
                  The game will be over in 30 min or less.
                  I wouldn't worry too much.

Comment

CO will NEVER, I repeat NEVER be taken seriously on this server. It's a glorified Ready Room waiting for players to play REAL NS. Have some fun, get some practice in. If you want to play CO any other way, look somewhere else.
                    USAR

Comment

I could think of several changes to CO which could make me take it seriously.

I definitely think it's safe to say that we'll never change how we feel about Combat as it stands today.
                      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I love buildmenu. It's actually innovative and adds some tactical skill into a game that's otherwise level grinding and technical skill only.

Someone will say that "buildmenu is just a watered-down version of ns" and yes, that's precisely correct, but you're missing the primary point that BUILD MENU ALLOWS A WATERED-DOWN VERSION OF NS TO BE PLAYED WHEN YOU HAVE THREE PLAYERS.

You can't just say "oh, don't play that watered-down ns" because you're comparing the BEST of ns_ to combat, and the precise usage of combat is for when the best of ns cannot be acquired at the time.

*end rant about bad logic*

Anyway, I started a thread about combat's mechanics (courtesy of Lost's genius idea, I believe it was) and it can be found here.

PS: I hate xmenu with a passion. It distorts (not to mention bugs) every aspect of real NS even worse than combat does. Combat could be made a good game with some effort but as of now it contains mechanics that are completely unbalanced in both directions (ironically not resulting in mutual counterbalancing, but just mutual imablance) and menu/xmenu makes it even worse.

IMHO.

Comment

extra levels ruins combat more than it already is.

Comment

I do agree with the fact that the extra plugins ruin CO. Permacharge onos being the most detestable, with the reinforced heavy nano armor close behind. (Although, I love Cybernetics - running fast is awesome)

Comment

unlimited charge is awesome, but yeah. It's definitely broken
                              I hate extra upgrades, dislike extra levels, and don't care for CO.
                              remi.D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X