Install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install

I'm having some problems getting NS to run.

This is the order in which I have installed the different files. Firstly, steam was already installed. I then installed Half-Life 1, GOTY edition. I then downloaded and installed hl1110.exe patch. I then open HL and did the training mission. Next, I attempted to install NS and was met by a pop up window that told me to close steam so I closed it. I install NS to the default directory.

I open HL and choose the Natural Selection Custom game and I activate it. I select 'Multyplayer' and I am told that my Natural Selection Excecutable is out of date and I am given the option to update it. I am then told that an updated version could not be found and I am left staring at my desktop.

I have also tried to activate HL via the Steam activation process. Apparently my CD Key is already in use. Is this activation process necessary to play NS?

Anyone know how to get Natural Selection working for me? Have I overlooked any necessary steps?

Re: Install

Originally posted by 0b1one View Post
    I'm having some problems getting NS to run.

This is the order in which I have installed the different files. Firstly, steam was already installed. I then installed Half-Life 1, GOTY edition. I then downloaded and installed hl1110.exe patch. I then open HL and did the training mission. Next, I attempted to install NS and was met by a pop up window that told me to close steam so I closed it. I install NS to the default directory.

I open HL and choose the Natural Selection Custom game and I activate it. I select 'Multyplayer' and I am told that my Natural Selection Excecutable is out of date and I am given the option to update it. I am then told that an updated version could not be found and I am left staring at my desktop.

I have also tried to activate HL via the Steam activation process. Apparently my CD Key is already in use. Is this activation process necessary to play NS?

Anyone know how to get Natural Selection working for me? Have I overlooked any necessary steps?
    Everything is done through Steam now. Get Steam and install it, and choose "Activate a Product On Steam" from the Store tab. You'll be able to enter your HL1 CD Key, and DL from Valve the most up to date everything for HL.

Do that, and run the training mission after the shiny version is installed, install NS into THAT installation of HL1.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface View Post
      Everything is done through Steam now. Get Steam and install it, and choose "Activate a Product On Steam" from the Store tab. You'll be able to enter your HL1 CD Key, and DL from Valve the most up to date everything for HL.

Do that, and run the training mission after the shiny version is installed, install NS into THAT installation of HL1.
      Ok. Unfortunately to get my CD key to work I must fill out a CD Reset form, pay a $10 fee, send an international letter and wait 6 - 8 weeks for a reply.

Comment

Is the CD Key working on the non-Steam HL install? I had HL installed when Steam was first released, and they let me "import" the HL installation (and the key/license) into Steam. I imagine that's still possible today, somehow.
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I didn't even have to use the install key when installing the game from the disc. And yes, the non-steam version is working fine.

Comment

I'm just kinda guessing here, but it might work better if you uninstalled HL1 first, then tried to re-install it through STEAM. The non-STEAM-based install doesn't do anything any more. Unless you just like playing HL1, I guess.

If nothing else, buying a whole new copy of HL1 through STEAM shouldn't cost any more than $9.95 anyway, saving you the hassle of waiting 6-8 weeks for international mail.

A word of warning--STEAM now sells a version of Halflife 1 that runs on the Halflife 2 Engine. It's called "Halflife: Source". While it looks a little prettier than the original, it won't help you play any Halflife 1 mods, so try to avoid it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X