Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS creator in GameSpot interview

Charlie Cleveland's small-game biz - PC News at GameSpot

The damn thing fascinated me, actually, which isn't normal for me.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: NS creator in GameSpot interview

Kind of a bummer the NS link in that article, leads to a website with no information on the game and only a download. I'd imagine the people coming from gamespot are mildly uninterested and confused.

Hopefully this thing works out for him to get NS:S funding going, although that game probably won't come to fruition for a number of years.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

If NS:whatever could come out yesterday and still magically give me the following, I'm all for it, as I don't care to delay the next title for no reason... but...

I hope the next title happens on an engine as dated (at the next title's release) as was HL1 when NS was released. I like the fact that this game runs well for damn near everyone playing it, and I'd like to enjoy that in the next title as well.

You don't hear requests like that every day, and I doubt it's being considered in planning, but you never know, given his comments about system performance and gaming.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I have to agree with releasing it on something slightly dated. It sounds like Charlie understands what a lot of developers keep ignoring: making a game that uses the best technology, has every gamer wishing they could play it, but only 5% of them can actually play without spending a bunch of money just doesn't make sense. When you get right down to it, after the first hundred hours of playing a game, most people don't even care about how good the games graphics or physics are.
        "Chance favors the prepared mind" -Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

charlie has a good idea from a gamers perspective. every gamer wants to be able to buy a game, install and play with no hassle. unfortunately, what we all have to remember is that gaming is business. you think the corporate bigshots from large game companies are going to release a game on a dated platform to satiate the gamer community? no way. NS, maybe. But look at the stir that EA created with battlefield 2. 99% of the gaming community had to either upgrade or overhaul their systems to be able to play it. Most of the upgrades were video cards since EA designed it to work with specific cards. Coincidence? Think not. All of the cards required to play it at the time were top-of-the-line much expensive cards from ATI and NVIDIA, both of whom are SPONSORS of the game. Its not about the gamers, its about the money. EA makes a game sponsored by graphics companies and requires the most cutting edge technology, only available from those sponsors at high cost, to play, thereby upping the revenues for all three companies. So yeah, props to charlie for the thought, but realistically, the odds of getting the corporate world to fall in line are between slim and none, and slim is leaving town on a fast horse.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X