Non-responding players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-responding players

I was just reading over Wyz's GB post and thought of this. Would it be possible to rework the afk plugin to kick someone if they didn't type something or say something over a certain period of time? We could be a lot more leniant on time here, and say 5 minutes as opposed to 1.

Not sure how possible it is to do, but I think that if we can record voice comm, we can monitor it, server side.

If it is possible, who thinks its a good idea?

-Mom

On a side note, I'm not one to shun new players, but if the server is on a fullish night with reg's on, I think it may be better off for people to introduce brand new players to the game on a different server. When people have a general understanding of the game, it makes it a lot easier to teach them. I'd rather see cooperative, semi-knowledged players than "WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON!!!???one?" players.
    Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Re: Non-responding players

What you're proposing is very possible, technically.

I'm content to manage this socially, but I can build something if the admins approve it. The only requirement *I* can think of is that it would have to warn the heck out of its target, and it would only apply to unregistered players.

I'll agree that gameplay is better when strangers new to the game don't slow down a server otherwise full of educated regulars, but I take a lot of pride in helping new players intelligent and social enough to work with me, even at the limited detriment to gameplay. It's an investment in the player, the server, and the community.... a small deposit in the TG bank, if you will.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Understood. Then I guess it's up to the admin?

I agree with the multiple warning. I know some people go thru nights when they don't say anything hardly at all, but I believe the most of us reg's talk enough to keep themselves from being kicked. Maybe, if we get it passed by the admin, we could go thru a test trial to see if it'd cause problems or resolve them.

-Mom
      Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

The problem here is that we're kind of looking at the wrong direction. What matters for a newer player is whether they're able to listen to what's going on and get to where the team needs them. If they don't feel they have anything to contribute verbally in some five-minute interval, no problem as long as they're listening to what other people are saying. On the other hand, you get people that can't listen at all but still spam mic/text with things that aren't helpful to their team. This plugin would kick the first type and keep the second. It would be great if there were a way to automatically check whether people are listening, but I just don't think it's possible. I would be hesitant to say that everyone who doesn't talk for 5 minutes should be kicked.

Comment

I second Agamemnon

Comment

Aga hit the nail on the head.

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
            It's an investment in the player, the server, and the community.... a small deposit in the TG bank, if you will.
            HOLY CRAP!

Must... restrain... comedic... faculties...
            Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

Well, I have seen plugins that kick people for spamming. That'd be a good implementation.

I think you guys are right, but I still like the idea of getting rid of people who don't communicate automatically.

Communication is the word of the day. Do we concider communication one way or two way on our server? I guess that's the question that needs to be answered before we move anywhere on automatically kicking people.

-Mom
              Yer Mom /O>

Comment

There's no such thing as one-way communication, as you haven't effectively communicated until your message is understood, and you can't possibly know that your message is understood unless the receiver of that message gives you some sort of indication that it is.

Yes, some consider it ample indication that the silent player you're giving orders to is consistently doing what he's told. He hears you and is responding. Some want something typed from time to time. Some really prefer the guy to use a microphone from time to time if he has one.

Yes, there are silent, educated players who contribute brilliantly to their team and fit just fine into the server.

But I'll say that a plugin which, by some carefullly measured method, surely including overt warnings/notifications/etc, removed purely silent players would do more good than harm, as players who so plainly resist verbal or typed communication are, typically, not high-value retention candidates on a server so defined by communication and the collaborative play it enables.

Again, we'd lose some "good guys," but no policy is perfect.

All of that having been said, such an imperfection in a plan such as this is typically enough to prevent it from seeing the light of day administratively.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

And it really isn't "up to the admin" to remove a non-registered player who isn't meeting the communication burden as defined by the reasonable regular who has the 'gb' command at his disposal.

Abuse 'gb' if you want private admin attention really fast, but we give it to regulars so they'll use it. If dude won't work with the team, warn him about our expectations and then drop him if you don't get a response.

Comment

I'm with aga on this one.
                    We cannot replace human ingenuity, with computer code. Not for this
                    Ambriento for comm! Vote today!

Comment

I've found even though I have the amx_kick command I still use the gb command because I like to list the reason (or is there a reason to be listed with amx_kick?). The occasion to kick someone who is regestered rarely presents itself.

i agree with Agamemnon.

I'm almost tempted to say that people who don't have microphones may find it difficult to find the time to type a message, and not being aware of the time limit may find themselves randomly kicked. I like the idea of sending warnings, but I would hate to see spam just because people don't want to get kicked. If every couple minutes you see "PLZ DON"T KICK ME I CAN TALK!!!!!11one" it might lose it's charm.

Comment

Pretty sure you can specify a reason with amx_kick similar to the gb command.

Also - early in the evening when things are slow - I'd rather have a game with non-communicating people than no game at all... at least until more TG show up.
                        Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

Removing worthless players is an admin responsibility, not a plugins. People are way better judges of who needs to go and who needs to stay based on feedback than any plugin. Two thumbs down.

Comment

I think Wyz once mentioned an idea that might work: at the beginning of a game for ? players, a number 1-10 is randomly chosen, and then an audio command to enter the number with X seconds is played. If the player hasn't entered the number, auto_gb "Sound, attention, and communication are required to play on this server"

Comment

Temp admins: you must specify a reason when you use amx_kick.

Any admin, full, temp, or joeblow using 'gb'..... he needs to specify a reason when he removes a player, and it should be in quotes if it's more than one word.

Practice using the command on yourself until you've got the syntax right. Know how to correctly specify a reason that the player will see.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X