Half-Life 1 Storyline

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half-Life 1 Storyline

I don't much like posting in the General Forums. You guys are my home. Did anyone play HL1 and know the story line? I just can't bring myself to sit through the game after I've done HL2, and I totally missed the storyline.

I know HL2's storyline was leet. The end SUCKED but, it left them extremely open to make HL3 or etc.

Is Episode 1 worth playing, or is it only a continuance of the story line?

-Mom
    Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Re: Half-Life 1 Storyline

No comment on Episode 1, but I'd suggest that its actually worth sitting through HL1. It just seemed like a much better designed game overall. HL2 plays a lot like a tech demonstration for a new engine, while HL1 was good all over. If you're accustomed to NS, you won't even mind the last-generation graphics.

Originally posted by Yer Mom
    I know HL2's storyline was leet. The end SUCKED but, it left them extremely open to make HL3 or etc.
    The Halflife 1 Storyline was every bit as leet, and best experienced for yourself. If you can't bear not to know, and can't bear to play it out either, here's a quick summary. (eventually edited into invisi-text, highlight to read. If you saw my post before I finished formatting it, I apologize for not thinking of this sooner.)

In Halflife 1, you are a random scientist lab tech helping out in the Black Mesa labs, when the experiment you are working on goes awry, causes something called a "resonance cascade failure", and basically opens up a bunch of dimensional portals to a world called Xen.

A bunch of creepy monsters come pouring through, and you have to find weapons to fight your way through them while trying to make it back to the surface, since your research lab is deep underground.

Upon reaching the surface, you discover the military has been called in to "contain" the incident. Their idea of "containment" involves killing anything from inside, including you. So now you have to fight off marines with machine guns as well as aliens, as you work your way back INSIDE the labs to come up with a new plan.

Some helpful scientists suggest that you should make your way over to Lambda Sector, oh and on the way could you launch this satellite for us that contains some helpful instruments? Apparently the military scrubbed the launch. They don't tell you WHAT is in the satellite, although I've heard from other sources it turns out to be Combine tools to help further the invasion, rather than Human tools to help stop it. So you helping them launch the satellite may not be the smartest plan, but you do it anyway.

In Lambda labs, you discover that these scientists had actually known about the dimensional portals for some time, and had been sending research teams through to investigate the world of Xen. They just never expected so many portals to form at once, outside their specialized containment fields. They outfit you with some neat experimental weapons, and offer to send you through one of their own portals, to try to stem the invasion from the other side.

In the world of Xen, you wander through some more creepy stuff and finally discover this giant floating alien called Nihilanth, who seems to be directing the invasion. You destroy him, and then as the cavern crumbles around you, G-Man comes and picks you up to recruit you...for....whatever.

Thats the end of the game, although through information gained from HL2 it becomes clear that after the Combine lost Nihilanth, they were able to use other methods to continue the invasion and conquer the world anyway. There's also Blue Shift and Opposing Force Expansion packs, which offer a few more hints on the storyline.
    Last edited by Kerostasis; 08-21-2006, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Is Episode 1 worth playing, or is it only a continuance of the story line?
      If you liked what HL2 had to offer and are interested in the continuation of the story, then I would highly recommend Episode 1. It has a very similar feel to HL2, but is much more refined and action packed.

If you are looking for something different and new, don't buy it.
      Steam Community: | |

Comment

HL1 was a wonderful storyline, with a TON of small things thrown in for fun and teh observant FPS player.
        Enjoy trying to kill G-man :)
        Ambriento for comm! Vote today!

Comment

You havn't played half-life 1 yet? Go go go.

SPOILERS:

I love the feel of half-life I of being under the cold earth in a giant military complex. The transition and moments leading to your transportation to zen was AWESOME, along with the initial impression of zen was COMPLETELY different from what you were playing most of the game in.
          Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
          Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by Darkilla View Post
            Enjoy trying to kill G-man :)
            I did all sorts of stuff including using Opposing Force (loading the original half-life maps) at times trying to get that gman. It's slightly satesfying to use the electric bug thing on him, he will glow for a while and walk around. Even the displacer doesn't get him!

I wish I had skin like that.

Half-life 1 is very much worth the time to play. I consider it to be the best money I have ever spent on a game on many counts, but before I played any mods it was all half-life 1. While I waited to get half-life 1 I played the demo Uplink over and over and over again.

Comment

The HL1 storyline was way way different from HL2. If you play the spin-off games (OP:FoR, Blue Shift, Decay etc.) you gain more of the story, and the moment Gordon jumps into Zen is where they all overlap.

HL1 was pretty much this: you are Gordon Freeman, your experiment of putting an otherworldy crystal in a....beam-y thing goes wrong and creates a portal to the alien world, Zen. The military is sent in to kill all those involved and clean up the situation but they lose control (partly your bad...shooting back and all) and they pull out. You get into top-secret parts of the research facility that deal with teleportation and get sent to Zen. There you battle through 3-4 different maps before you kill this huge godlike boss. The G-Man then talks to you and talks about how he's impressed and has convinced his employers to give you a job. HL2 is that job.

^^ extremely abridged....I could have written the script if I wanted to, though ^^

Comment

The reason I baught hl1 for the ps2 was for decay, it seemed like a pretty cool idea. I never actually completed hl1 but I loved when the wipeout team came after you. Thats when strategy came at its best.
                :icon31: <--(WTf is this)

Comment

I vastly prefer HL2 to HL1. It has better characters, more plausible environments, more interesting weaponry (imo), etc. The only things I think was better about HL1 were the interesting boss battles.

Comment

Did you play hl1 during its time or recently because now hl1 is ok compared to hl2 but backthen it was godly.
                    :icon31: <--(WTf is this)

Comment

I first played it at all back starting in... 2001/2002? I played through it entirely during something like 2003/2004, and then again last year until I reached a bug where Gonarch doesn't jump down to his web for me to kill, at which point I stopped. HL1 is okay for a couple playthroughs, but HL2 is a game I just plain don't get tired of.

Comment

Karky's right. If there were any way for me to be as completely lost as I was the first time I went through that narrow alleyway where those big arms were falling down around me in HL2, I'd do it every day. I remember the first time I did it. I never noticed the arm was up untill it fell, and I had my back turned to it. I nearly LEAPT out of my seat when it crashed down.

And OH MY GOD that magnetic crane owned the gaming industry. I spent HOURS tossing those huge red boxes across the landscape.

HL2 definately has a replay value, but only in timed segments. If you go through the entire game too many times, or too soon after completion, you know exactly where to go and how to do things, and it just sucks. I remember how scared I was in Ravenholm (or whatever) the first time, and how easy it was the second time.

I think that if the Valve/Sierra team did something like Diablo's Dungeon Randomizing thing, it'd have a lot more replay value, but I assume that's something that's not possible given the complexity of the textures and rag doll effects and etc.

So, who is looking forward to HL3? Do you think they'll continue on the Episode 1 path (Ep. 2, 3, 4) or just go straight for HL3?

-Mom
                        Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

Originally posted by Yer Mom View Post
                          So, who is looking forward to HL3? Do you think they'll continue on the Episode 1 path (Ep. 2, 3, 4) or just go straight for HL3?

-Mom
                          Episode 2 is next, then episode 3. My guess is HL3 is a LONG way off.

Check out this thread for some info about episode 2 and the bundled games: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/general...tress-2-a.html

After playing episode 1, im really looking forward to the next episodes.
                          Steam Community: | |

Comment

This here is pretty much the whole enchilada:

Half-Life - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Yah if Rampage hadn't said it befor me, I would have. I can't stomach HL1 today, which is a shame because I've never played it through. I however can't wait until Black Mesa: Source comes out, that will sattisfy my hunger for the HL1 storyline details...

I'll add a link if no one can find it, but I think everyone has mastered the art of Google.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X