Exceptions to the Rules

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exceptions to the Rules

I was just reading over the "What are the rules?" thread, and I noticed that Trapping was a rule.

Originally posted by Rules
    TRAPPING : You may not trap fleeing/etc players w/ structures
    This specifically says FLEEING. So that gives me the understanding that if you put a comm chair, or a tf, or whatever structure in the entrance of a hallway before a lifeform comes in, it would NOT be concidered trapping.

The reason I ask this is today Wyz placed a comm chair in one of the Eastern Entrance exits on Eon (I think). I wasted atleast 5 minutes wondering why in the hell that comm chair was there, and still never figured it out. He didn't drop it to block a lifeform, he just randomly dropped it.

As far as the rest of the rules go, I understand language.

Respect apparently needs to be touched on. It is NO ONE's fault when you die. I joke around about this a lot, and the people I joke around too know that I am only joshing. The line is broken when someone get's upset or agitated at "being blocked", "laggy players", or "mic spam". It is, NO ONE ELSE'S fault when you die except your own. Think whatever you want to yourself, but I believe that me and the rest of the TGNS crew would appreciate it not being said aloud.

The respect rule also hits home when someone declare's "nub comm". The comm can suck all he wants to, because TGNS is a place of opprotunity and education. If someone has little to no commanding experience, don't tell everyone about it. He knows, and more than likely feels horrible, that it's his fault his team is dying.

Communication. For those of us not following certain other threads, I'd like to point out what Wyz informed us all of. Communication is NOT one way. Communication is only successful if it is two way. The only exception to this rule is that a player may be physically disabled IRL.

Blocking is self explanitory.

I think one rule that we're lacking on, and the final rule I'd like to talk about, is teamwork. Teamwork is ONLY successful with COMMUNICATION. That's why Communication is a rule. And yes, I mean two way communication. I started off today on my rambo'ing way to a hive, and Wyz stopped me and a partner before we got too far away from base. He said something to the effect of, "Don't EVER run off alone, and if you are going to, don't do it silently." Which means, if you're going to rambo, atleast tell the comm you're going to. If you don't have a mic, type it out, and if he misses it, atleast you've got some evidence that you were trying to communicate.

/end rant

-Mom
    Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Re: Exceptions to the Rules

I believe that placing a strucutre in the way of normal paths is fine to do. You're just not allowed to do so to suprise a fade as a structure suddenly appears in front of him.

Also, com chairs are commonly used to block damage from a gorge trying to bilebomb everything. It's a temporary fix, but can prevent the gorge from just taking out the whole base without having to stick their neck out a little.
    remi.D

Comment

No one gets surprised if a regular turre(n)t is in a hallway.
      Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

I'm kind of confused on your post... are you asking if trapping is the exception to blocking? Or that we don't have a rule about communication? I can assure you that there are no exceptions that aren't already documented and that communication is required.
        USAR

Comment

Mom, please never again cite my name, or anything I've said, in any argument you make in these forums. The disorganization with which you write combines with the lack of preparation you give your thoughts to too often result in your presenting an argument that I don't support as you've presented it.

Once again I find myself reading one of your threads and wondering what the very point is, and I guess that'll just continue ad nauseam, but please don't mention me, at all, in these stream-of-consciousness "rants".
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I agree with mom's take on exceptions. We're all generally pretty good about communication, especially in freezetime when we're planning.
            Speaking of planning, another thing we all oughtta work on is sharing strategies, especially since (as mom said) TGNS is a place to learn and build your skills. If you're an experienced comm and you have some tips/advice/scripts/configs/etc you can share with those of us with less experience, please do. If you're a really good fade, try to teach others how to do it well. Not only will this make us all better players (everyone has something to teach and everyone has something to learn), but it also builds a higher level of cameraderie between all of us because we know we can rely on each other for advice.
            Running with this also means respecting people's strategies. Remember that not everyone plays like you and though you may stick to something accepted as a normal or "thats the way everyone does it" strategy, it doesnt mean that it works for someone else.

An example would be my chambers strategy. Anyone who's ever played an alien team with me knows that i'm always the guy who drops first chambers. My strategy is that I try to find a secure location in or near the initial hive and drop two chambers immediately, then drop the third in the hive, so if it gets sieged, we only lose one. This strategy has never failed me in my 3 years of playing ns. However, I'm very frequently told by people in the server that I "need" to do other things, like play a life as skulk before i drop chambers, or that I "need" to drop the first chamber in the hive instead of the third. I have reasons for the way I do things and theyre relatively simple. For example: I gorge immediately instead of playing skulk first so that we have upgrades as fast as possible. Sometimes even one level of silence can throw off a marine as to where you are, or a single level of adrenaline can mean the difference between a gorge saving you with healspray or you both getting owned. Also, dropping the first chamber in the hive pretty much always gurantees that I cant get to a safe spot to drop the other two. Also, seeing as how frequently movement is used first, I can only count maybe 10 times in my years of ns that the second hive gets dropped before I have enough res for the third MC to allow movement rushes, so the timing generally syncs up much better that way.

Bottom line is that it boils down to a respect thing. Just because something isnt being done the way you do it, doesnt mean it wont work. As wyz said, sometimes we employ strange or unusual strategies to win, so instead of criticizing or telling people what theyre doing is wrong, ask them what the plan is and work with it. As long as its not a ridiculous thing like spamming MS full of comm chairs instead of building IPs. :)
            Just my 2 cents.

Comment

The HLTV Sessions are ideal for sharing and learning. All: please come to them.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                The HLTV Sessions are ideal for sharing and learning. All: please come to them.
                I can now come to them, most of them I had to missed due to events for college.
                I hope that I will be back up to my normal skill level by then. One can only hope :(
                Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Originally posted by Yer Mom
                  As far as the rest of the rules go, I understand language.
                  I meant for this to be a conjunction, meaning that I have asked a question or made a point, and am continuing on the related topic with other points.

The reason I ask this is today Wyz placed a comm chair in one of the Eastern Entrance exits on Eon (I think).
                  This was not meant to be directed towards Wyz as if he were bending the rules. It was meant to be a for instance. Next time, I'll be sure to include the name Bob instead of one of my fellow players.

Respect apparently needs to be touched on.
                  Shows that I want to address the TGNS community on what I believe is a lack of respect.

For those of us not following certain other threads, I'd like to point out what Wyz informed us all of. Communication is NOT one way.
                  This was used to show that someone who is HIGHLY informed of our rules and standards, and knows exactly what TG wants told me, personally, how things needed to be done. I was going to say communication is NOT one way regardless of if I gave you credit for saying it first or not. I figured I'd be a bit polite.

None of this thread was meant to be an "argument". If I were looking to argue, I'd join a debate team. I am simply asking a question regarding a certain rule, and touching on a few that I believe are failing to be recognized. Your name was not cited, in any way, to cause harm, but only to offer for instance, as well as education. I have not falsified any of your remarks.

The very point of this thread was to ask if a structure can be placed, with the intent on blocking a lifeform, if it is not placed when the lifeform is in the room.

(Wyz, the only other time I mentioned your name was when you corrected me and someone else for trying to "run off alone". I don't exactly see how my post was unorganized, or thoughtless.)

-Mom
                  Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

Originally posted by Yer Mom View Post
                    The very point of this thread was to ask if a structure can be placed, with the intent on blocking a lifeform, if it is not placed when the lifeform is in the room.
                    I don't exactly see how my post was unorganized, or thoughtless
                    This is precisely why it came across that way. Your thread title indicates nothing about blocking, and at no point do you ask a question. If you want your point to be heard, you need to limit what you write exclusively to that point. Sure we all digress from time to time, but focus is important.

All you simply had to write was, and ill use your words, "[Can] a structure be placed, with the intent on blocking a lifeform, if it is not placed when the lifeform is in the room?"
                    Steam Community: | |

Comment

Originally posted by Yer Mom View Post
                      Observe the length and pointedness of that text!! How in the WORLD do you turn THAT into your first post? Disorganization and thoughtlessness, that's how. Korm's explained it in greater detail.

To make matters worse, your question is already answered in the rules, which specifically offer the following text OUTSIDE the scope of trapping:
                      Originally posted by [url=http://www.tacticalwiki.com/index.php/TGNS_Rules]The Rules[/url]
                      Blocking: Using structures to block other structures or areas of the map is not allowed. This includes: blocking Infantry Portals, Elevators, and moving doors. Additionally, building in a way that completely blocks off a doorway or vent is not allowed. Building in a doorway is allowed if players can still navigate past the structure.
                      So, plainly, yes, a structure can be placed, with the intent of blocking a lifeform, if it is not placed when the lifeform is in the room.

And, to be clearer still, here is how you measure whether or not the Commander's assessment of "in the room" is adequate (quoted from the same Rules, linked above):
                      Blocking vs Trapping: To review: Trapping BAD. Blocking OK. An Admin decides in real time what's trapping and what's blocking, so be prepared to leave the server if your block is perceived as a trap (and PM later, at your discretion).
                      This is key: my frustration is not with answering questions, and there's plenty of precedent to make that apparent independent of my claim. But DAMN. Figure out what you're saying and SAY IT, already.

Comment

I've witnessed an admin blocking an entrance with a seige cannon. Is that legal?

Comment

Originally posted by xtcmen View Post
                          I've witnessed an admin blocking an entrance with a seige cannon. Is that legal?
                          I'm going to assume by your signature in the TGNS Primer thread that you have read the rules completely, so ill just chalk this one up to poor reading comprehension.

Please read, and try to comprehend:
                          Building in a doorway is allowed if players can still navigate past the structure.
                          Steam Community: | |

Comment

It should be noted that it is possible to navigate past a siege placed in the standard siege spot at vent hive in ns_origin, just in case that's relevant...

Comment

It should be noticed that that particular spot is kind of tricky, as depending on exactly where you place the cannon, it may or may not block the vent. Its entirely possible for a com to block that vent unintentionally, without ever realizing what he has done.

Edit: Pictures to illustrate are on the following page.
                              Last edited by Kerostasis; 08-24-2006, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X