NS:S to cost $$$

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS:S to cost $$$

I don't know how many of you guys are aware of this or not, but NS:S will be a full blown purchased game from UWE (I'm guessing released through steam). Originally NS:S was going to be free where as NS2 was going to be a retail product.

Will you still be interested in playing NS:S if you are paying for a direct port to the source engine?
    USAR

Re: NS:S to cost $$$

I'll be more interested in playing it.

We have some absolutely beautiful TGNS regulars who are dirt broke and won't be able to afford NS:S, and yet, I'll say in the same breath that, generally, the demographic which is drawn to a game which must be purchased is generally of a nature that I find more appealing than that which typically surrounds one that is given away.

To be sure, there are exceptions to both sides, but the funded playerbase tends to be better educated, more mature, and more prepared to be introduced to the type of gameplay I come here to enjoy.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

It all depends. I already in a sense paid for NS. Constellation for the win! So I would definitely pay for it again. Especially since it would probably be at first a direct port or as close to a direct port as possible, and then hopefully it would start off into its own direction. Maybe adding an actual new game mode instead of just combat.

Comment

At some point, people have had to purchase a version of Half-Life to be able to play NS.
        Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

Absolutely.
          Steam Community: | |

Comment

I would buy NS:S when it came out, so long as there will be a tgns:s. If they will not be a tgns:s then i might wait a while, but for some reason, i think that there will be one.
            Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

I'm sure that individuals in the community with 'excess' money would be more than willing to help out those without.

Comment

A direct port, no.. If they update the gameplay, I would.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Most definitely. I would have easily bought NS for $50 since its given me 2+ years of nightly entertainment. This game is going to sell like hotcakes once he gets put on sale on steam. The updated graphics will be a huge boost for the game, as that is one of the most common complaint I hear from new players trying to get into the game is that the graphics are fairly old.
                  Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                  Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Sell like hotcakes or not, making a game purchase based is definately going to add a LOT of things to the game itself. More money to afford PEOPLE to work on the game, instead of living on hopes and dreams and working their backside's off to give something away.

I'll buy the game, but I'm afraid they may kill it. BF2 is a prime example of death by greed. BF2 was an amazing game when it came out. I'd still be playing it today, had EA not released umpteen expansions over the course of a year. They're money hungry, and it segregated our gaming environment. Some people would like SF, while others would like the other expansions.

This really defeated the purpose of releasing the game itself. The only time people are grouped together to play a damn good game of any of the expansions is either on a dedicated night, or during scrims.

If NS2 comes out, and they release NS2: FOR THE HIVE! for 30 bucks at Wal-Mart, I'll not continue my purchases, because all they want is money. Expansions are ONLY good for Real-Time Strategy games. Period.

So, if the dev team doesn't become greedy, yeah, I'll buy it. But I'm not going to "go with the flow" and buy 4 or 5 expansions when I can just move on to a different game.

-Mom
                    Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

Originally posted by Yer Mom View Post
                      Sell like hotcakes or not, making a game purchase based is definately going to add a LOT of things to the game itself. More money to afford PEOPLE to work on the game, instead of living on hopes and dreams and working their backside's off to give something away.

I'll buy the game, but I'm afraid they may kill it. BF2 is a prime example of death by greed. BF2 was an amazing game when it came out. I'd still be playing it today, had EA not released umpteen expansions over the course of a year. They're money hungry, and it segregated our gaming environment. Some people would like SF, while others would like the other expansions.

This really defeated the purpose of releasing the game itself. The only time people are grouped together to play a damn good game of any of the expansions is either on a dedicated night, or during scrims.

If NS2 comes out, and they release NS2: FOR THE HIVE! for 30 bucks at Wal-Mart, I'll not continue my purchases, because all they want is money. Expansions are ONLY good for Real-Time Strategy games. Period.

So, if the dev team doesn't become greedy, yeah, I'll buy it. But I'm not going to "go with the flow" and buy 4 or 5 expansions when I can just move on to a different game.

-Mom
                      It is unknownworlds making it, and not EA. EA loves to do the expansion pack thing. Look at sims.
                      Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

I'm aware that it's unknownworlds. I am only saying that they have been giving NS away for so long, and making no money off of it, that they're ready to be rich. The game is an absolute hit, just like BF2 was when it came out. If it were me, I'd want to make the most money I could out of it. I'm saying that if they do, it'll kill the game, just like EA killed BF2.

-Mom
                        Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

Originally posted by Yer Mom View Post
                          I'm aware that it's unknownworlds. I am only saying that they have been giving NS away for so long, and making no money off of it, that they're ready to be rich. The game is an absolute hit, just like BF2 was when it came out. If it were me, I'd want to make the most money I could out of it. I'm saying that if they do, it'll kill the game, just like EA killed BF2.

-Mom
                          Not trying to stray off-topic, but BF2 was hit because EA wanted it to be a hit. They already had plans for x number of expansions and y number of boosters. Although I have to admit, BF2 did not live up to my expectations. I have not played BF42, but even that sounded better then BF2. BF2 had its own inherent problems. BF2 is just a poorly executed game all-around IMHO. It could have been better given 1-2 years more of development.

Would I pay $10 bucks for an expanision pack that added a few maps? For me, to justify buying an expansion pack, it has to be justified in some form. It has to add something new and exciting. New maps can be cool, and the money is to justify the development time to make the maps, but for me, I would like the maps to have a story for me to justify buying them. And to be honest, there are "stories" behind some of the maps in NS. Some of them are supposed to be based on space ships, others on bases on moons or planets.

but yeah, for me, it would have to be something new an exciting in an expanision pack. although I am not keen on how other games do it. like RTS's will add new units, and BF2 seemed to add those stupid guns and crap.

I want functionality not disfunction, maybe the first expanision would add a "Squad leader" function which allowed a member to command a "squad" and be sort of a field commander.(obviously meant for larger games where there is maybe 11 or so people per team.)

For me, BF2 went wrong because they had already pre-planned to do expanision packs and all that jazz. And they have stated they did not plan on making any patches for the game, or even balancing it. And that to me shows where their goal is oriented at. I rather see a game make expanisions because it was a more sucessful then it was planned to be, and the expanision adds in things you didn't have time to do, or got left out, or you would like to explore to see how that form of the game goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid View Post
                            At some point, people have had to purchase a version of Half-Life to be able to play NS.
                            Actually no, my uncle my cousin and I all got into the game before you had to have a registered key for each game on Steam. I.E. if you had the files on your computer you could play the game, I believe that it originally ran using the original files rather than installing its own but I might be wrong. If I had known though how much money they would have made out of the deal, I probably would have made a good 40 or 50 accounts while they were still "free".

As for NS:S if they did nothing more than update the graphics I would probably buy it, but I'm sure they will change gameplay a bit more. All I can do is hope it is for the better and not the worst.

Comment

My problem with paying for it is that NS is a community developed game, but that money goes to unknown worlds, population what, 3? What about all the mappers/modelers/artists along the way, they still getting nothing?

I don't mind paying but I think that Flayra often overestimates his own contribution to the product. Good mod ideas are a dime a dozen, but artists with the abilities to make it happen are the rarity.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X