X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intelligent Design

http://www.idmod.net

From the about page:
    Intelligent Design is a new Half-Life 2 Source Modification combining elements of Real-Time-Strategy with First-Person-Shooter gameplay.

It's the future, humanity has continued to grow and develop. Nano-technology is in use in almost every facet of life. The Intelligent Design Institute (a division of Sol Nanotech Industries) continues work with nano-technology by sending a group of medical experiments out to Orion Station. The purpose of the experiments are attempts to cure human disease given to animals (these animals are selected because they can simulate a human response to treatment) by using nano-technology. While the experiments are occurring, the animals involved start getting more agitated, more aggressive and appear more logical and calculating. Eventually one animal escapes, hides and starts producing other nano-enhanced animals. These "intelligently designed" animals make short work of the humans on Orion Station. The Sol Nanotech Security (Sol Nanotech Industries's Internal Security Force) are called in to clean up and fight the nano-organic creatures. But what they don't realize is one of the creatures escaped aboard a supply ship and has now infested several other ships and space stations. It's at this point the game begins.

Choose your side, Sol Nanotech Security or the Feral (Nano-Organics) for a battle of survival.
    From the looks of things, this will play very similar to NS. It's being developed by NS fans, and former NS PR Zunni. I for one am keeping a hopeful eye open, as this looks like an interesting game, albeit with similarities to NS.
    USAR

Re: Intelligent Design

Shiny.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Shiny's right!

Squeak - Make sure to post updates on this game as it goes through development, or atleast make a niec post when this game becomes available. I could definatly see this as a good time-waster :)
      Ambriento for comm! Vote today!

Comment

Hmmm, I'd go so far as to say this game is not "like" NS, but rather a ripoff. They try to defend it, and I guess it's good that there's a source RTS being made, but come on. Intelligent Design? The alternative theory on the origin of man that battles one called "natural selection"? What we have here is the store brand NS:S.
        Last edited by HairyNevus; 08-25-2006, 04:42 PM. Reason: made an obscure reference more general

Comment

The name is the result of a bad decision, but I'm not above judging the game based on what it is, not what it's called or from what it was born. Healthy competition is grand for just about everyone involved.
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
            The name is the result of a bad decision, but I'm not above judging the game based on what it is, not what it's called or from what it was born.
            I would be, if they acknowledged where it came from outside of one FAQ put towards the bottom of the list. It seems like the ID team is trying to pass it off as totally original. But, no more thoughts until I see game play footage. Maybe they're too busy working on something totally neat to be original with naming schemes.

And I know game play footage will be a while.

Comment

Hrmm it seems I'm going to have to overcome my instinctual desire to kill anyone who uses the phrase "intelligent design" before I'll be able to try this game.

Comment

Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post
                Hrmm it seems I'm going to have to overcome my instinctual desire to kill anyone who uses the phrase "intelligent design" before I'll be able to try this game.
                That was my biggest gripe about the game even before it was really started. Although I don't think anything can take really natural selections place, even if its similar.
                Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

This just smells of rip-off. If the game is only as different from NS 3.0 as NS 3.0 is from 1.0 or 2.0, its just a rip-off with different models.

If good ideas are a dime a dozen and good teams are rare, use that rare team to make a different idea from what somebody is already doing.

Comment

I personally don't care unless it's a total rip-off. My only concern for any game is whether it's fun or not. If it is good, then the NS guys will have to one up THEM in order to get players which can only lead to a better NS.

Comment

An explaination from Zunni regarding NS and ID:

Originally posted by Zunni
                      crap 1 day later than I anticipated but here, if you have any other questions that arise from this, or want clarification about something, please don't hesitate to PM me:

Originally posted by Big Fat duck
                      Just wondering?

It wasnt that you guys were pissed off at NS or something was it?
                      That seems to be the million-dollar question these days..

We need to answer this and all other questions similar to it by starting at the beginning...

Every single Dev is a former/current NSPlayer, and I believe we have all played it almost constantly since its release.

I also need to publicly state each and every dev LOVES NS. It's our past and we respect the work put in by Flayra and the initial dev team, as well as the continued work guys like tanke and puzl, MadMaxx, Nem put into the game. They are awesome professionals and hopefully get everything they want from their time working on Natural Selection. I still have a relationship with many of the NS Devs (though I haven't talked to Nem in a while, blasted real life), and have talked with them about our project (ID). There has been nothing but best wishes from them regarding it (at least based on what was said to me).

We see a place in gamers hearts for both games (like competition in business), and hope both do really well and attract their own fans. Knowing that there's another game with a similar play-style should keep both teams hopping and the end result should be that you as a player win!

However, for a long time I've felt that the direction that NS was headed in terms of game length and reduction in strategy wasn't my cup of tea. This is important because while it didn't create the mod, it helped to push me to get involved in this one. The fact is, I wasn't the person who launched this into being, I was voted to lead it forward. A couple of NSArmslab folks IM'd me a long time ago (Dec. 2005) and asked if I wanted to help them with this idea they had for a new mod. I turned them down at first as my real life was about to get really hectic (birth of our second child) and I was enjoying my break from working hard on a mod. We continued talking and after hearing some of their thoughts, I softened my position to thinking about it and eventually accepted their offer. We setup some internal forums, and began discussing at a high-level what we wanted from a game. Basically since we were all NSPlayers the gameplay seemed to focus around melee vs. ranged and RTS/FPS style gameplay. But we didn't want to recreate NS for the Source engine (with the hope that the NS team would be doing that when they were able) so we started coming up with a few differences in terminology to start preparing ourselves that this is different than NS.

Being avid NSPlayers our mindset wandered (as does for many in our community) back to the "NS way". The addition of Brackhar shattered that for us, he came in and pushed the fact that we are not re-creating NS and that we need fresh new gameplay ideas that will take the game in a different direction. He's been talking with me about that for so long that natively now I don't work from an NS perspective instead choosing the path less traveled that is more unique.

So we came up with the concept of upgraded Resource Collectors to spawn the feral, relays, distinctive upgrade paths for the SNS while having shallow upgrade path for the feral, we started taking the base class concepts that were expected and have been working hard to change the way they are handled and make them unique.

While we were doing this, we needed a name and we tossed around several. None of them stuck until Brackhar (who had been talking to a friend) suggested Intelligent Design. My initial thoughts were 'Well, that certainly is the other side of the coin from Natural Selection but it has a really nice clean sound to it.' So it was talked about for a couple of weeks before finally being settled upon. We would be known as Intelligent Design. This was voted on before we started the project and since this discussion has occurred we voted on it again, both times overwhelmingly the name was voted to stay.

In current media 'intelligent design' and 'creationism/Darwinism' are buzzwords being used more frequently in our education and political systems as well as spiritual institutions. The very definition of intelligent design alludes to the theory that living things show signs of having been designed. ID supporters argue that living creatures and their biological systems are too complex to be accounted for using current theories of evolution and that a designer may be responsible for their complexity.

Extrapolating that out and applying it to the story line of the game we are making, and suddenly it makes a much better fit than one might initially think on several levels. There's the concept that the Feral were actually created by the SNS. They didn't evolve into being, but were instead formed by a "higher power" (the SNS). Or another way to look at it, the SNS team has a commander who has the power to outfit and guide them as he/she sees fit in a way 'Intelligently Designing' them for their struggles ahead. On the flip side the Feral have been 'Intelligently Designed' by the first Cluster to meet the needs of the attacking forces.

I've gotten a few "quick" questions, so I thought I'd post them with their answers here.

Is this game based off the NS Universe? No.

Will there be similar gameplay elements? Absolutely, NS really started this genre off, and it's on every devs favorite game list.

Are you trying to rip off Flayra? Not at all, our gameplay will be different and we are trying to have different goals than NS does currently (Longer games, more strategic decisions, etc)

C'mon really, isn't this just NS but with a few changes? Well, that's like saying NS is like StarCraft or AvP or Tremulous with a few changes, or Serious Sam is like Doom with a few changes. Almost all games do tie into something that was done before it, but hopefully make alterations and provide a new experience for the game player.
                      I must say there are a lot of elements to their design that are peeking my interest. If you log onto the ID forums, you can visit the released design information forum where they explain different aspects of game play.
                      USAR

Comment

Really, you only need to read the last lines under the last bolded text in Zunni's response to understand his real point.

"Team A needs to [Insert Gameplay Action] to [Insert Goal] to beat Team B."

Voila! The essense of Video Games.

Comment

In current media 'intelligent design' and 'creationism/Darwinism' are buzzwords being used more frequently in our education and political systems as well as spiritual institutions. The very definition of intelligent design alludes to the theory that living things show signs of having been designed. ID supporters argue that living creatures and their biological systems are too complex to be accounted for using current theories of evolution and that a designer may be responsible for their complexity.

Extrapolating that out and applying it to the story line of the game we are making, and suddenly it makes a much better fit than one might initially think on several levels. There's the concept that the Feral were actually created by the SNS. They didn't evolve into being, but were instead formed by a "higher power" (the SNS). Or another way to look at it, the SNS team has a commander who has the power to outfit and guide them as he/she sees fit in a way 'Intelligently Designing' them for their struggles ahead. On the flip side the Feral have been 'Intelligently Designed' by the first Cluster to meet the needs of the attacking forces.
                          I still strongly disagree with the naming. Even if they are "stretching" the name to fit the storyline (and in the same swipe, erasing what ID was hinting at to avoid that connection), it still sounds overtly religious, even if that is not the intention. I would venture a guess that most people who first hear the name of the mod will associate it with recent events and the controversy regarding intelligent design.

It'd be similar situation starting a mod called "9/11", where in the game there would be futuristic soliders fighting alien "terrorists". You quite purposely draw attention to its common meaning, and then you are instantly associated with those events\controversies, even if you are changing its meaning slightly to fit the storyline of your game.

I suppose the same argument could be made with "natural selection", but I'd say the actual theory (part of it) is what is intended in the game. Although it may have been controversal back in the 1800s when it was first written about.

I'll still play it to see what they were able to do with the engine and game, but I think more ideas for the name should have floated around first.
                          Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                          Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

So, volunteers to write the first non-dev map, id_kansas?

Comment

If you REALLY want to debate on the "Intelligent Design" name choice...
                              Here's an observation cleverly wrapped in a media reference:
                              --> Recall Jurassic Park. One of the best quotes from Ian Malcolm: "God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs..."

I think the name they chose fits their storyline very well. Natural Selection fits its name very well as it is two formerly seperate entities in strife.

And I've gotta add my atheist (agnostics = born-again christians in training)snipe at creationis--- sorry, "intelligent design," with the way our species is, I think the "designer" should scrap this mistake and make sure to put more intelligence in it next time...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X