ns_bast, a.k.a. ns_deadserver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ns_bast, a.k.a. ns_deadserver

I, for one, am tired of seeing a perfectly lively and healthy (even full) server drop dead, like a seagull with an aneurism.

It never fails.

ns_bast comes on, and immediately 4-5 people vote/beg for a mapchange.

The change doesn't come fast enough. Or, if there is no admin, due to the nature of the voting plugin, the amount of people that drop out of frustration cause the other remaining players to be unable to unanimously vote off the map.

So here's what I propose. Forum admin -Wyzcrak, I assume- creates a poll that reads as follows: (1) ns_bast is removed from the map rotation. (2) ns_bast is left right where it is. (3) ns_bast is moved further down in the rotation. We all vote.

Democracy in action.

aes0p

"Who put the fun in dysfunctional? I." - Aesop Rock

"Cuz you can choose to say 'Good morning, God! =)' or 'Good God, morning! =(" - Blackalicious

Re: ns_bast, a.k.a. ns_deadserver

Sure.
    Bast does clear the server rather quickly, and I definatly think a vote shoudl be put forward on this.
    I do like the map personally, I think it's a challange. But it really is dissapointing when the server clears like it does...

I second the vote.
    Ambriento for comm! Vote today!

Comment

I'm just going to throw out the standard caution that elections with more than 2 options do not work (yay governator), so either limit it to two options, or have the middle option be the default if neither side gets a majority. This would mean options are:

1. remove ns_bast
      2. put bast lower in the rotation
      3. status quo

If no option was higher than 50%, option 2 would win, as it's probably a fair assumption that voter type 1 prefers 2 to 3, and voter type 3 prefers 2 to 1. If this assumption doesn't seem reasonable, then limit the vote to two options (unless you enjoy run-offs).

Comment

I'd vote to remove it from rotation but keep it on the server for requests. Bast in its current form isn't that enjoyable.
        USAR

Comment

For those who don't stick around, what is it that you don't enjoy?
          [volun2]
          NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
          Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
          <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
          <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I really enjoy bast, I have had some wonderful games on it. It's a fun map that requires a lot of teamwork and I certainly do NOT want it to be removed.

I've had some awesomely epic games on there. Like for example, Wyz was commanding the marine team. At one point we lost our only built hive, but another hive was just about to be built. We broke a two hive lockdown and managed to eventually push the marines back and fight the res war well enough that we won. The voicecom in that game, and the teamwork, was intense. Such a fun game.
            remi.D

Comment

I did so horribly as commander that game. Too much babysitting marines, too. And I've done just as horribly in other games on that map in the past. But I'll still play it when it rolls around again. The map is certainly unique, and it is a challenge.

I can't say the map empties the server with a consistency that justifies removing the map. It might empty the server with a consistency that justifies people being more open-minded, though.

I'm eager to hear responses to Poker's question.
              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

It doesn't flow right for me. Some nodes feel too far apart, other nodes feel clustered. This version of the map feels very closed off, making most of the vent work in the old bast nearly pointless. I think the original Bast was a shining star in the uses of the vent system.
                USAR

Comment

They really shouldn't have changed bast around so much, I think 2 versions back was the best. Seeing as how we have co_daimos_beta5 and one other map like that....could anyone dig up an older version of bast to try out?

I hated bast because I got low framerates, but that issue is resolved so I like it.

Comment

The map for me, feels like they had 8 different people complete sections of the map, and then strung them together. Each room feels different. I liked some of the older versions, but this new version just seems to be not so great. I don't like the position of marine start, usually I relocate.

The map just doesn't seem to have any consistency. The vent system is pretty unique, but not as open to marines venturing around in it as I would like.

I rather it be a map people ask to play(like lucid) or vote for, but I rather not have it in the rotation.

Comment

While I'll play any map that loads the current iteration of bast is low on my list of enjoyable maps. While I've had many good games on it, I feel some of the comments (paticularly squeaks comment on the vent system and closed feel of the map) have alot of validity. I think HairyNevus' idea of adopting an older version could be alot of fun at the least and may go along way to alleviating issues with the map (emphasis on may).
                      Because structured points are the best way to do ANYTHING :)
                      1. I would not want the map removed from rotation entirely
                      2. I would support it being moved lower in the rotation
                      3. I would support and older map version being given a trial run

Comment

Honestly, my problem isn't as much with the map as it is with the consistancy that the map empties the server. Wyz might not see this because a) believe it or not people stick around more when he's present, or b) he's an admin, and doesn't run into the voting issue.

It's very easy to point the finger at 'close-minded' individuals when it comes to the server emptying due to a disfavored map. Unfortunately, the server does empty; if I've seen it once I've seen it a hundred times.

and btw, the older bast versions are, imho, unplayable :(

"Who put the fun in dysfunctional? I." - Aesop Rock

"Cuz you can choose to say 'Good morning, God! =)' or 'Good God, morning! =(" - Blackalicious

Comment

Originally posted by aesop rock View Post
                          Honestly, my problem isn't as much with the map as it is with the consistancy that the map empties the server. Wyz might not see this because a) believe it or not people stick around more when he's present, or b) he's an admin, and doesn't run into the voting issue.

It's very easy to point the finger at 'close-minded' individuals when it comes to the server emptying due to a disfavored map. Unfortunately, the server does empty; if I've seen it once I've seen it a hundred times.
                          So you don't stick around because other people don't stick around. Factual, perhaps, but not an answer to my question.

To those for whom the map feels disjointed: is that alone reason enough to leave the server when it comes on? Or is the disjointedness the cause of other more game-related issues?
                          [volun2]
                          NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                          Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                          <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                          <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

The inconsistent feeling you are talking about makes sense considering that this bast was made in just that manner. Different people made the different rooms and put it all together. It was a team of people recreating it because the old version was lost in a format or something. I think they did a great job of it and did a good deal to help with some of the issues of the map.

There are some points that could be improved, but I think all in all it's pretty good.
                            Older versions of bast are also fun, but would empty the server even more due to huge balance problems.
                            remi.D

Comment

ohh bast, why do I hate thee? let me count the ways.

1)impossible for either side to hold res. You end up with lots of empty nodes cause its not worth it for either team to drop them.

2) Feedwater hive is useless to aliens, probably the easiest hive to siege in NS from tram tunnel.

3)Turret spam lower junction and you win.

4)Only 1 convenient way to get somewhere, no vent system, no alternate hallways.

5)engineering hive is almost impossible to siege.

I could go on with examples of why this map pisses me off, but you get the point. hard to hold res, lends itself to turret/oc spam, lack of travel options. I almost never have an enjoyable game on bast for these reasons. I find the map rewards lame, punishes skill, and lacks the environment needed for creative play. This is the opposite of what a good map should be. These are many of the same issues I have with altair, but that is a topic for another thread.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X