NS_Sandbox

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS_Sandbox

In the years I have been playing this game, the purest enjoyment I ever got out of it was climbing around as a skulk or marine during the idle/planning phases in the Battle For The Galaxy tournament.

As an alien under the superb (if sometimes impatient) guidance of one FireWater, I listened much and talked little, with one exception: as I was climbing and exploring, I would constantly find new bits of architecture and little poky bits to hide behind. I would then call out for a teammate to "stand there" and tell me if I was at all visible.

What I would like is some way to explore maps with other players in a non-lethal environment - the ability to drop chambers or structures, but in a limited fashion (perhaps having them explode after x seconds to avoid stupid things like being sieged or having the map filled with stuff) for the purposes of furthering our knowledge of the environments we play in and how we fit into them.

These could be run as short sessions (half an hour, an hour) on single featured maps or cycling through several (although the multiple map changes would be rough). Ideally, there would be a server dedicated to "sandboxing" so that I could hop on whenever I damn well felt like it, but that's a little ridiculous.

I present this as merely a thought exercise, although if more than thought comes out of it, I would be simply ecstatic.

~Zyd
    Last edited by Zydeko; 08-28-2006, 04:28 AM. Reason: er, not html but other kinds of tags instead

Re: NS_Sandbox

Fire up a server on your machine.

It would take you about 30 minutes (15 with help from a server op) to set it up, and your home connection should be plenty to host a small group, especially since you're not going to be hosting epic battles... you're just learnings maps.

Announce a time and invite people to join you.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Huh, I was always under the impression that running a server took retarded amounts of bandwidth and computer cycles.

I could totally do that.

Now I just have to figure out when to do it. This is, obviously, something I can't do alone - running around in empty servers is fine, but it doesn't help with hiding and stuff like that.

I will make a post once I figure that stuff out.

As far as the "temporary structures" part goes, do you think that's feasible?

~Zyd

Comment

It's likely possible, even stylishly, with mods, but I'd recommend running the server vanilla, especially given your limited hosting resources and serverop expertise.

Don't allow anyone to join you unless he can avoid being a smacktard, at which point you remove him. Do with the map want you want done. When you want to wipe the slate clean, change the map.

And with FF and the right cheat commands, you could clear out individual team structures pretty quickly, I imagine.
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Simple solution--turn on cheats, give yourself enough money to drop whatever you want (including extra comm chairs scattered around the map), and then recycle it when you don't need it anymore. If you have some alien structures you need to get rid of, drop a few Seiges from on high, which build themselves and clear the problem for you. :)

Comment

Password the server - keep out the jerks, invite your friends. It is also possible to bile-bomb alien structures down with FF on.
            Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

Do it while you're planning for captains games. Just don't get too distracted.

Comment

Yah, it sound's like a neat idea. I'd hope you'd be able to post a small forum thread here announcing it for a weekend, although I don't know tactical gamer's position on that...

As for captains games, exploring is fine, but you can't build anything with the right click gone. Oh and you can't look at the map, I really wish you could do that!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X