Steam Update broke NS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Update broke NS?

I can't launch NS after today's Steam update.

Anyone have any details?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Steam Update broke NS?

Same here. And I have just done a fresh install of NS, due to my laptop needed to be reimaged ( linix broke windows). Going to go see what the steam fourms says.

Nothing on the Steam fourms yet on how to fix. Only broken some people's games. Reinstall was sugested, but it did not help me.
    Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Strange, having the same problem. I wonder if deleting NS and half-life local content and redownloading them entirely will fix it.

Steam client update released
      August 30, 2006, 10:46 am - Jason Ruymen

Updates to the Steam Client have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Steam Client

* Friends now displays the game you are playing to all your friends
      * Attempting to add a Friend who doesn't have a Steam account will now give you the option to send them an email, inviting them to become one
      * The words 'valve' or 'steam' are no longer available for use in the Friends name
      * Fixed game install dialog over estimating install size for games that shared content
      * Added a "Don't Show me Again" checkbox to the System Requirements dialog for games
      * Fixed FPS drop after running a listen server
      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

According to the Steam forums, since the latest update, all HL1-based games are broken.
        Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

Link?

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I just checked the STEAM forums, and the complaint threads are multiplying like wildfire over the last few minutes. There were 1 or 2 when I logged in, and like 10 by the time I read those 2 and hit refresh.

All complaints seem to point to all HL1 based Mods being broken, so its safe to assume Valve will at least get started working on a fix soon. Luckily it didn't just break NS, cause then we'd never get a fix.

Edit: On a separate issue, STEAM has also apparently decided to offer another 20 or 30 free demo games, and because of the way "My Games" is coded, ALL free games show up in your "My Games" list whether or not you want them. People are now complaining about the sheer clutter of all these games they don't want, haven't installed, and don't plan to install, still sitting on their desktops. Hopefully that will get fixed too. :)

Comment

Steam Users Forums - Problem with Steam games
              Steam Users Forums - Steam

They appear to be locking and possibly deleting threads regarding the problem as I couldn't find the original thread I read about it.

Comment

"*Fixed game install dialog over estimating install size for games that shared content"

Hmm... such as games that shared content with Half-life? Well, I was hoping to waste some time, but I guess I'll actually type up the essay now... Darn you Valve and your pro-work conspiracy!

*cough

Comment

An "official" response:

Steam Users Forums - CS 1.6 and HL Games Crashing?

Originally posted by MATT (via forums.steampowered.com)
                  CS 1.6 and HL Games Crashing?
                  Are your CS 1.6 and HL Games crashing after the Aug 30th update? I sent a message to Valve, and got a reply. They are working on the problem.

Do not reinstall Steam.
                  Do not reinstall CS or HL games.
                  Do not reinstall video card drivers, etc.
                  Do not tweak your firewall.
                  ... and so on. Doing the above won't fix the problem.

Comment

Apparently if you can avoid the update it still works, as I haven't gotten this update and am not experiencing any difficulties. For those who still have working NS, I would suggest not restarting steam for now.

Comment

Indeed. Looks like Valve's on it now, though. Hopefully this will be resolved quickly.

edit: dupe details placed in a secure vault. zib wins.

Comment

Steam Users Forums - Gold Source Games are currently down
                        Originally posted by GregW, Valve (via forums.steampowered.com)
                        Gold Source Games are currently down
                        We are aware of the issue, and are working on a resolution.

Gold Source games should be back up and working within the hour. Please be patient.

Comment

Whoops. I just updated my nVidia drivers like they said not to do (they needed to be updated regardless of this problem). The game works now, but i'm getting display problems:

http://www.geocities.com/yoshimcf/display.jpg

I've seen this before on micr0c0sm's computer... anyone know the fix for it?

Comment

Steam Users Forums - Gold Source Games are currently down
                            Originally posted by Arsenio, Valve (via forums.steampowered.com)
                            An update has just been released which should address the Gold Source crash problem. Please exit out of Steam and re launch to install the update.

Comment

Indeed. My NS launches fine now.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X