ex_interp 0.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ex_interp 0.0

So according to net_graph 2, ex_interp 0.0 causes high levels of extrapolation, while 0.1 does not.

Is this true?

Re: ex_interp 0.0

*tries to remember what Net_graph 2 shows*

I do remember that you can't actually SET your ex_interp to 0. If you try, it just defaults to the minimum, which I believe is 1/cl_updaterate.

Comment

When you have the ex_interp at 0.0, your computer is underpredicting. Basically, don't quote me on this, ex_interp is the time/rate your computer uses to place packets in the correct place at the right time.

No person gets a perfect 1:1 frame ratio connection with a server. They just don't, which is why it's needed. Kerostasis is correct that a good value is "1 ÷ cl_updaterate".

If you had a server relaying packets to you at the EXACT instant you needed, then ex_interp 0.0 would be fantastic.

Comment

a smaller ex_interp puts the model closer to the hitbox but if you go to low, it causes the model to appear glitchy like its zipping back and forth. a value of zero does make it automatically adjust. I have mine set to 0.3. When I happen to get on a laggy server I dont want to be shooting a model when the hitbox is already chomping my ankles. rate 20000, cl_cmdrate 90, cl_updaterate 70, ex_extrapmax 5, cl_resend 1, cl_cmdbackup 5

another rule of thumb. sv_maxupdaterate: The Maximum amount of Update per Second the server will send to the client. Most servers run between 66 - 100 I believe.
        If cl_updaterate>=sv_maxupdaterate, then interp = 1/sv_maxupdaterate.
        If cl_updaterate<sv_maxupdaterate, then interp = 1/cl_updaterate.

I would just leave it at 0 if your unsure.

Comment

0.3 is actually pretty high. I find most players don't start warping until you go under 0.1, so I keep mine around 0.1 to 0.07. At 0.07 a few laggy players will warp, much lower than that and everyone starts warping, but at 0.3 you're seeing substantially obsolete player location data.

Comment

.1 is as high as interp goes, because interp is simply 1/cl_updaterate (maximum updaterate is 100, and 1/100 is .1). Interp is actually clientside prediction that attempts to "guess" the position of models based on prior packet information if the client doesn't recieve new information in a timely manner. The higher the interp setting, the more points it guesses at for the model, which can be wrong since it's client predicted, not server information sent to the client. This is the cause of the around the corner deaths players encounter. It's also very buggy on players with poor rates, as they appear to teleport around to you.

To answer the original question, extrap is a separate setting that isn't determined by interp in any way. I'm not sure how you're reading that off the netgraph, I know netgraph2 has a lot of additional information on it that I've never really seen an explanation of.

Comment

The bottom line of Net_Graph2 is your... hmm... I can't really title it, but I guess the way you could call it is the extrapolation graph. You want it to stay as close to a solid blue/red line as possible, and you want it to be as close as to the bottom of the graph as possible. If this graph has yellow dots or jumps high for you fairly constantly, you are doing a lot of extrapolating and you are likely to be missing. A lot.

The next one up is the actual connection analyzer. Basically just measures the latency between you and the server. You want that to stay a flat green line.

The top graph, I think (this one I am unsure of), is the amount of packets that get "lost" inbetween you and the server. If that graph starts getting really really high/erratic, I notice a lot of warping starting to happen.

*Just as a side note: Don't run Net_Graph2 fulltime if you aren't on a fairly beastly system. On some systems, it can lower your performance by as much as 50%.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAdj` View Post
                .1 is as high as interp goes, because interp is simply 1/cl_updaterate (maximum updaterate is 100, and 1/100 is .1). Interp is actually clientside prediction that attempts to "guess" the position of models based on prior packet information if the client doesn't recieve new information in a timely manner. The higher the interp setting, the more points it guesses at for the model, which can be wrong since it's client predicted, not server information sent to the client. This is the cause of the around the corner deaths players encounter. It's also very buggy on players with poor rates, as they appear to teleport around to you.

To answer the original question, extrap is a separate setting that isn't determined by interp in any way. I'm not sure how you're reading that off the netgraph, I know netgraph2 has a lot of additional information on it that I've never really seen an explanation of.
                Check your math: 1/100 = 0.01

1/cl_updaterate is the Minimum cap on Interp, not the Maximum cap. You can set it higher if you want, but not lower. If you try to set it lower, your system will calculate 1/update for you and automatically set Interp to match.

Comment

oops, I ment 0.03

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse