A Natural Selection Survey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Natural Selection Survey

Hello, I am posting this questionnare on several Natural Selection server forums as part of a survey, to gain some insight on the state of NS. It's not anything official, this is a one-man effort to satisfy my curiosity. If you do choose to respond, however, I ask that you answer with honesty and to the best of your ability.

1. When did you start playing Natural Selection?

2. How did you first get introduced to Natural Selection?

3. On average, about how much time do you spend playing Natural Selection each week?

4. Which gameplay mode do you prefer, NS or Combat? Why?

5. How much experience do you have with each gameplay mode? What are your thoughts on each of them?

6. On a scale from 1 to 10 (Feel free to use decimals), how would you rank your personal skill, experience, and knowledge in Natural Selection?

7. What is your general perception of competitive Natural Selection (Cyberathletes Amateur League, European Natural Selection League, etc) play and players? Why? (Competitive players, respond with perceptions about pubbers)

8. Would you ever consider participating in competitive Natural Selection? Why? If not, what would it take for you to change your mind? (Competitive players, respond with why you joined up)

Thank you for your participation. After gathering all the responses, I might type up a short summary of the results and see if I can get them hosted somewhere.
    Underwhelmed

Re: A Natural Selection Survey

1. Just before the Release of 2.0 (Like one week before)

2. My best friend Sam (Aka FrankTheTank - Told me about it at schoolio)

3. Each week maybe an hour, nowa days its not as interesting as it was.

4. I like NS better, thats what NS is about.

5. Experience wise im better at NS because i do what im told, in CO i freelance.

6. NS maps (7); CO maps (6)

7. I dont really take any interest in the Competitive part of NS, i did one tournament here at TG and had a blast, but it wasnt what i looked for in NS.

8. No, I like to just casually play from time to time. (Nothing I can think of will change that)

Your welcome.
    Oyee

Comment

Mid 1.04, around Christmas of 2002

A cousin of mine showed it to me on Christmas break, and I was hooked from day 1.

3. On average, about how much time do you spend playing Natural Selection each week?
      7-10 hours per week

NS, for the wealth of strategic options. CO is just a way to relax between particularly stressful NS games.

5. How much experience do you have with each gameplay mode? What are your thoughts on each of them?
      I've seen the strategies involved in NS change over many versions, and seen both the competitive and pub side of strategy, and generally love it. However, I'm definately looking forward to what the NS team called "the complete overhaul of the Onos necessary to bring it back in line with our vision for what it should be". Not slated to come out in 3.2.
      CO is fine as a placeholder game, although it could certainly stand a few improvements...several of which are already set for release in 3.2.

6. On a scale from 1 to 10 (Feel free to use decimals), how would you rank your personal skill, experience, and knowledge in Natural Selection?
      Skill 7/10. I'm not quite at competitive level, and have never learned to bunnyhop...but I can do everything else pretty well, and have a decent strategic grasp of the game.
      Experience not sure how to distinguish that from skill, so I'll say 7/10 again
      Knowledge 10/10--I make it a point to memorize such random facts as the exact fire rate reduction of Focus, at each level, how many level 0 shotty clips to kill a hive, and stuff like that.

7. What is your general perception of competitive Natural Selection play and players? Why?
      I have had few opportunities to interact with the competitive community. I have seen a lot of negative sentiment for competitive NS expressed elsewhere, but my personal experience offers nothing to back that up, and not much more to refute it.

8. Would you ever consider participating in competitive Natural Selection? Why? If not, what would it take for you to change your mind?
      No, simply because of the time commitment involved. (Yes, you can look at my answer to question 3 and laugh now). Its not easy for me to set up regular recurring times that I know I can be on every week, around a complex work and school schedule.

It would change if I suddenly became rich enough to quit my job and not have to worry about money. Basically, when I win the lottery. :p
      Last edited by Kerostasis; 09-13-2006, 12:44 AM.

Comment

About a month after 1.0 was released, but after 1.04 I stopped playing until a couple or three months ago.

I read about it on a random web site.

Not enough. ;) I'd guess about 10-15 hours.

Definitely NS here. On a random server, it depends on how much team work can be pulled into play. I don't dislike CO, but the reason NS keeps me hooked is the team effort and strategy involved.

Not nearly enough, as far as the playing skills go. Each mode has it's advantages. CO is good if there aren't many people playing, or if the players aren't working as a team. It sucks to be trying to get folks coordinated only to be steamrolled an entire game.

My skill would be 5, because I'm average at best. Experience I would rate around a 6, because I played religiously before taking a break from gaming, and only so much has changed, which I've picked back up on. My knowledge would be about a 7, and the main thing holding me back on that would be the fact that I never comm.

7. What is your general perception of competitive Natural Selection (Cyberathletes Amateur League, European Natural Selection League, etc) play and players? Why? (Competitive players, respond with perceptions about pubbers)

I think it's great that some folks are playing competitively, as it obviously hones their skills and teamwork. It does however, make for unbalanced games when teams are consisting of this level player vs your average guy. Plus, when someone of exceptional skill joins a random server, it's irritating to hear everyone complain about cheating hacks and the like. Luckily, that's kept under control here.

8. Would you ever consider participating in competitive Natural Selection? Why? If not, what would it take for you to change your mind? (Competitive players, respond with why you joined up)

I played in some scrimages during 1.04. I wasn't much better skillwise than I am know, but I loved the teamwork part of it. I never (and still don't) mind being base monkey, permagorge, or scouting for res nodes and rambos rather than continually being in the midst of the fight.
        aka Roland tHTG

Comment

1. 1.0? I don't remember.

2. My brothers friend was playing it on my computer. Got hooked on it fast.

3. Now 1-3 Back then 7-10

4. NS because it requires more strategy and teamwork.

5. I use to make the NS Strats for my clan back in the day. So I know all the pg spots, strats, and the basic "what works best" on each map. Combat I don't think you need experience. Its simple. Shoot and kill and pray that your opponent misses when your reloading/have low life.

6. 8/10 because I suck at NS now.

7. Been in Cal since beta 5. I was in -={DG}=- and penguin and a couple other clans for like a day or 2. I'm still in Penguin to this day, but the clan has been dead for over 2 seasons now.

Competitive NS is what made this game for me. It was really enjoyable to play with the same team throughout my whole NS experience.

8. No. The two seasons that I had fun playing in Cal where sufficient. Penguin is dead, and I don't plan on joining any other team. Besides, I have no time anymore to scrimm and etc... I

Final Comments: I hope the devs change NS to the way it use to be. It just doesn't have that spark that it use to do in 1.04. I stoppled playing 2.0 because it sucked ass, and started playing in 3.0 because it was better than 2.0.

Comment

1. 1.04, around when servers started using the unofficial 1.05 modification.
            2. I saw a post about it on a gaming website... probably planethalflife. It interested me but I didnt bother downloading it. Maybe a month or two later a friend told me about it so we downloaded it one night and played for a couple hours. I've been hooked ever since.
            3. I used to play around 15 hours a week... but its more like 3 or 4 now.
            4. NS by far.
            5. NS is fantastic. Combat is boring and relies too much on individual skill... something I lack considerably.
            6. Skill - 6, Experience - 9, Knowledge - 9(2 comm)
            7. CAL matches showcase some of the best skill and gameplay NS has to offer. CAL players showcase some of the most selfish and spoiled attitudes NS has to offer. Why? I dont know, but it IS what I have observed.
            8. I have played NS competitively. I had neither the time, nor the patience to put in the effort to become a successful CAL player. Also, it simply wasnt as fun as playing a relaxed game full of familiar faces.
            Last edited by kormendi; 09-15-2006, 01:45 AM. Reason: to be like zib
            Steam Community: | |

Comment

1) 1.04. Back when TacticalGamer was still Network42, and before Network42 was a business venture. :)

2) N42 was running a Counter-Strike server that didn't stink, and one of the players was the catalyst for the NS server being put online. It took me maybe a month or so to finally get in the game after the server her was set up.

3) At my max, it was probably around 10-15. Lately, it's maybe 3-4.

4) I prefer NS. It requires thought and coordination, and perhaps most importantly, full emotional investment. CO is a readyroom with something to do.

5) Tons of experience with NS, enough experience with CO. The NS game mode is what makes the game great; the CO game mode was created to fill the void that 2-on-2 games of NS created.

6) Skill: 6. Experience: 8. Knowledge: 9.

7) Competitive play is top notch. Competitive players all too often leave much to be desired.

Wyzcrak could probably (and maybe already has) written an essay on this, but competitive players tend to take without giving. There are blessed exceptions to the rule (many of them longstanding members of this community), but it's my experience that CAL folks (and CAL-like folks) view other players as a means to their end, and fail to enjoy the game for its more social aspects. They don't join our server here because they enjoy the people; they join because people listen and work together, which lets them go off and kill stuff and still be on the winning team. That kind of attitude doesn't go far.

8) We threw together a team for a CAL season, and it was fun, when we were together with our team. The other teams ranged from gracious to immature, asinine, and rude, and it was a whole lot less of the former and way more of the latter. Maybe it was the division, maybe it was the time of year, but it did little to break me of my pre- and post-conceptions. I have no plans of returning.
              [volun2]
              NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
              Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
              <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
              <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

1. a little after release curyldave was into it and i subsequently played a few games, but was sort of on and off until this year, now i spend way too much time playing.

2. Curlydave

3. about 2 to 3 hours a day so ummm, anywhere between 14 to 21 hours

4. both for different reasons, though i must admit that i dont like combat without extra levels and lots of time on big maps like kestrel, it helps to add to the ridiculousness that is already at play.

5. I think i spend more time playing ns but i enjoy playing both at different times, i.e. combat when i dont feel like doing anything engaging or when im really wide awak. Ide say im pretty comfortably familiar with both of them.

6. personal skill - 6.7, experience - 8, knowledge - 9

7. Its cool by me but i do think that interaction between leauge players and pubs is very interesting.
                I think that the sort of things that it generates when league players play in pubs is almost interestingly similar to basic hero-worship, though i do think that it puts tremendous pressure on them to preform as expected. not that i think they mind showing off a bit.

8. I think its fine and ive thought about trying for cal once or twice maybe, but i dont think i really devote too much of my focused attention on ns when im playing it enough to pull it off.

Comment

1. about a week after release, but have taken various breaks.

2. A guy in my CS clan came on it by accident and decided to try it. I followed suit.

3. Bout 30-40 hours. I wish I was getting paid for it.

4. Depends on the game size and who i'm playing with. NS is fun for medium to large games, combat is fun with few people. Get too crowded of a combat map and its ridiculous. NS maps are big enough to support lots of players.

5. I spend way more time playing NS. I like combat, but it seems like very very few of the maps were constructed with balance in mind. Some maps have ridiculous amounts of places for aliens to hide and allow ease of movement for larger lifeforms making them ridiculously alien biased, while some maps are cramped and have lots of stuff for fades to get snagged on. Combat is a good training tool for lifeforms and getting your aim up for marines, but its no comparison to NS. Ns embodies the full dynamic range of what a HL mod should be. It involves massive amounts of timing, teamplay, and skill. You cant just stroll into NS and know what you're doing, it takes time to learn because its not just simple kill or be killed. Thats the problem with combat. It took out everything that made NS a real GAME and just turned it into a glorified CS clone.

6. Thats kinda a braod question so i'll break it down some. Knowledge of gameplay: 10. Knowledge of commanding: 5. Experience: 10. Skill at strategy and overall gameplay: 7. Aim: 1.5.

7. Competitive NS is just like every other HL mod or other game with a competitive league setup. The competitive players view themselves as being the creme de la creme of players and for the most part are very arrogant and snubbish about it. They go by the "play to win or dont play" philosophy, leading to things like rage quitting if things dont go their way, or if you're playing a goof off game and filling marine start with OCS, or gorge rushing the marine team in the endgame and trying to win with healspray alone, they rag on you and call names. If you could take the "i'm pro and you're noob cause you're not in CAL/a clan/blah blah blah" out of the competitive players and leave the skill there, it'd be cool. But thats unrealisitic.

8. I've played on competitive teams in several forms of NS. 1.03, 2.0 and 3.0. I enjoyed playing with the teams I was on because I was very selective to find teams that we'rent filled with arrogant jerks. I enjoyed the gameplay for its strategy and pace, but the vast majority of the playerbase needs to learn something about being human. Just because i've been playing NS for a long time doesnt automatically mean I should be able to kill anything that moves with 3 bullets. I generally played as the team perma-gorge, and support marine and got called a noob a lot by lots of people on the "better" teams, even though my teams generally had a winning record. We were never cal champs or anything, but we had fun while playing instead of being overbearing "im great and you're not" type players. However, I dont think I'll ever play competitive NS again because of the rampant spread of those kinds of players. Get me back by eliminating those kinds of players from league play.

Comment

1. About a month after release; took off most of the last 18 months (yay WoW!) so I missed out on most of the later 2.0 to early 3.0 days.

2. Penny-Arcade. Tycho did a writeup on the game and it sounded great to me. I've long been an RTS player and the idea of a hybrid really intrigued me. I saw myself commanding a lot...which was true for a while.

3. 10-15 hours

4. Definitely prefer NS. I will only play Combat if the TG server is slow and we're trying to build enough players for NS. I don't like Combat.

5. I have "experience" with each of them. The new plugins for Combat (new to me - the buildmenu and xmenu, etc) make Combat seem even less pointless than it did before. There is no "game" to co_. It's just reckless charge after reckless charge. I find no value to the games. ns_ is much *MUCH* more intriguing - especially on the TG server (I rarely play anywhere else). This server has skilled players, playing as a team. This leads to very dynamic and interesting games. It's very much what I'm looking for in an evening of gaming.

6. I always know what to do - just have problems executing sometimes.

7. I played in a few seasons of CAL (very early - like 2 & 3) and UGL. I enjoyed the challenge of leading a clan and the competitive play. The time commitment got to be too much (life changes) and I stepped down and stopped playing.

8. I don't have the time necessary to participate any more.
                    Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

About 2 weeks before 2.0 came out

I visted the website back before pre-1.0 Looked intresting, bookmarked it, and came back to it in the middle of a mass bookmark clean out (I still need to finish that, Ns took over once i found it :) )

about 20 hours give or take. ( at least 2 a night M to F, 6 on Sat, and Sunday)

Both: NS is fun with great teamwork and great games, Co can be fun with the right people and mods(buildmenu, xmenu, 100+ maps ect)

If I had to choose one i would go with NS, mode. It has given me the most best rounds of any game. nothing come close to some of the games I have played on tgns.

NS-7 out of 10 Co- 9 out of 10. I do not comm much in ns, so it loses 2 points, I have done just about most of everything but there are still somethings that i do not know comletely. Know a lot about co.

NS- A great teamwork game. Marines are built around teamwork, the aliens are not as much so, they need some but no where what the marines need. The aliens often rely too much on Fade, and Lerks, but they are the only lifeforms that can get reliable kills on a equal skill game on tgns. Onos, die to easy, gorges.... they draw more fire then gasoline on a lit match would make, skulks have too little hp, and are to slow to effective kill maines in a lot of rooms, as where they are is rarely near a nice hideing spot. The chambers for aliens are too unbalanced, in that mc first is almost requred at tgns, DC is worthless as the first, sc only works for a while, but hurts the aliens early game after the first obs goes up. Marines seem to be balanced ok.

Co- to qoute one player from our server " it is a stone ball, that has marines on one and aliens on the other, once it starts rolling one way it it is almost impostable to stop. It much more balanced after plugins have been added.

8: I know there is stuff that i do not know, and there are player better then me, but i am good, and better then the average player.

There is none. I just have not seen much of it.

Maybe, it would have to yeild games at least as fun as the ones on tgns, for me to consider it.
                      Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Right before 1.04 came out.

I don't really remember, I think I just did a google for HL mods.

5-15 hours, it depends. Seems like I'm playing less and less though.

NS by far. I hate combat, especially plug-in ridden combat.

Countless hours of NS mode in Public and competive play. Real ns takes more skill, tactices, teamwork, thinking, planning, and strategy than combat. Did I mention I hate combat?

9 for personal skill, 10 for experience and knowledge. I've played this game a long time and learned everything I possibly can about it. I've played many seasons in CAL and it improved my game a lot.

Competive NS glory days are over (when delta and omgea were still around), it is so hard for a new team to put up any kind of fight vs seasoned teams, they have zero chance, this useually ends up with the team quiting cal, although some have stuck it out.

Public play annoys me to no end. Between getting called a scripter/hacker/cheater and the endless stupidity of some servers makes me not want to play public ns. Also most pubs play plug-in ridden combat and I hate combat. Thank god for TGNS.

I've played cal ns for 6 seasons and I'm still currently playing.

Comment

1. 1.04, shortly after that release

2. The guild (it's like a clan) I was in got a server so I thought "what the hell?"

3. Right now...0-4 hours

4. NS...that's the game. Combat is like Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3 in DOOM 3. NS has has decisive planning, skilled combat execution, and a helluva lot more teamwork.

5. In combat, I guess I have enough experience to be proficiently aware of all gameplay aspects. I mean, how long do you need to play to say that?I've already stated that I don't really consider it a "game", it's a glorified deathmatch. I play on the CS:S server for that. With the regular gameplay mode I have a great deal of experience, know all the various tricks and stuff. It's a great game, very dynamic and objective oriented in any environment. Probably my most enjoyable way of killing time on a good game.

6. 6.6 (teh suck at killing monterz)

7. Personally, I think the CAL people are all elitist and short tempered. It's from bad experiences with them and I'm pretty slow to forgive them on that (just a fault of mine).

8. Never would I participate in something like CAL, both because of my own bad opinions and the fact that I play for fun. My little time doing competitive play sucked out all the fun of the game.

Hope I've been of some help...

Comment

- I started playing when 1.0 was out, I don't remember a specific date or period after release.

- Was just looking for another mod to play. Someone must have mentioned it to me, don't recall who.

- None any longer. Used to play several hours daily. I will probably try to make my return to the NS community AGAIN (for the 123321321 time).

- Combat stinks, I would rather paly cs then combat :P. NS has a more strategic element to it, and it usually involves the whole team.

- I've pretty much seen it all when it comes to ns. Was on the side lines of the clan scene but was always pubbing it up throughtout all the releases. As far as combat is concerned, I enjoyed it when it was first released but that enjoyment faded (faded ahahaha...hahah..hah...) quickly.

- Personal Skill: Now 5 or 6 (9+ when I played alot).
                            - Experience: 10 (7 or so combat).
                            - Knowledge: 10 (5 comming).

- I lost touch with that whole scene once my WoW addiction kicked in, I don't think I can comment on this aspect currently. Back in the day, competative players were generally stuck up kids who believed they were gods gift to the ns community. Most that I played with expected perfection and looked down upon most pub players. Honestly many were nothing spectacualr (to a seasoned player like myself). There were those that made my jaw drop however, I can't deny that.

- I highly doubt that I would consider competative play at this point and time. For one I don't need the headache, and secondly I just don't play the game much any longer. If you gave me a million dollars, sure I would become competative.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

1. In the Beggining i started pretty close to win it first came out

2. it was Blahman its all his fault (old cs clan member u238)

3. a bunch

4. NS the whole team stradagy thing

5. quite a bit

6. hrmm i would put a range on this 2.5 to 9 depends on my mood and if i'm just killin time or really into playing also what all else i'm doing while i'm playing

7. Competitive is ok it is mainly a more organized game but some seem to take it to seriously. you have to script, bhop and all that stuff i never really cared for.
                              i can bhop a lil now but still think its highly over rated it helps a lil to get across the map but skulks should be ambushing and not bhopping at rines.

8. I've played it for a couple season but don't really have the time to committ.
                              i use to play in CS clans for a few years.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X